TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Alan Keyes Daughter

From CNN

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (AP) -- The daughter of conservative Republican Alan Keyes referred to herself Monday as a "liberal queer" and urged support for gay and lesbian young people who have been deserted by their families.

Maya Marcel-Keyes, 19, addressed a rally sponsored by the gay-rights group Equality Maryland, saying she was motivated to speak out because of her rocky relationship with her parents and the recent death of a friend who had fallen ill after being thrown out of the house by his family.

Marcel-Keyes told several hundred supporters that her sexuality had created a rift in her relationship with her parents.

"Things just came to a head. Liberal queer plus conservative Republican just doesn't mesh well," she said. "That was making my life a little bit turbulent."

Later, Marcel-Keyes told CNN her parents "were not too pleased" when they learned she was a lesbian, but she said she loves them "very much, and they love me. They can't support my activities."

Her father, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois last year, created a stir in August when he said during an interview that homosexuality was "selfish hedonism" and that Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter was a sinner.

In a statement issued Monday night, Keyes said: "My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities."

Marcel-Keyes said she received an outpouring of support when disclosing her sexual orientation, but her friend did not.

"Like me, he grew up queer in a conservative household," she said. But where she got hundreds of e-mails, offers of a place to stay and a college scholarship, "he'd been out there two years and had gotten nothing."

"And the worst part is, he isn't the only one," Marcel-Keyes said.

While we're at it, here's her blog (Feels a bit too much like livejournal for my tastes)

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Xmisled0youthX

Guest sek69
Keyes not only said that all gays and lesbians are “selfish hedonists” but that Mary Cheney is “by definition” a “selfish hedonist” and "a sinner."

I wonder if he feels his own daughter is a sinner, and if so, that would be sad indeed.

Keyes not only said that all gays and lesbians are “selfish hedonists” but that Mary Cheney is “by definition” a “selfish hedonist” and "a sinner."

I wonder if he feels his own daughter is a sinner, and if so, that would be sad indeed.

Rumor is he kicked her out because of this.

I think it's obvious that he does. I think the reason why she says she's gotten offers for places to live is because he's pretty much washed his hands of her.

I got into a minor argument with a family member over this earlier this morning.....it's guys like Keyes which really bring down conservative politics. Based upon his beliefs and his faith, okay, maybe he has a right to be a bit, I don't know, disappointed in the lifestyle choice of his daughter, but to carry on about how all homosexuals are sinners is just fucking hypocritical, particularly when Christianity is SUPPOSED to be a religion of tolerance and love.

I would venture to say yes.

We're all sinners. That's kind of a given.

Sin is a concept within a religious structure which I do not believe in.

Just saying.

Just saying.

Christ.

No pun intended.

Then just substitute "sin" for "fallibility" or "wrongdoing" or "iniquity". Surely you can fit one of THOSE concepts into your paradigm.

Just saying.

Christ.

No pun intended.

Then just substitute "sin" for "fallibility" or "wrongdoing" or "iniquity". Surely you can fit one of THOSE concepts into your paradigm.

Stop forcing your rigid moral code on us, you zealot...

Just saying.

Christ.

No pun intended.

You overreacted more than he did.

Just sayin'.

I don't know, there are PLENTY of people that would do a lot worse than kick out their child, religious or not. I don't see how this is really news. Someone post one of the fluff pictures....

Just saying.

Christ.

No pun intended.

So, even using that terminology, what "fallibility" or "wrongdoing" or "iniquity" is she guilty of? She's done nothing wrong.

You're right, she hasn't.

Which is why Alan Keyes is a hypocrite and a very sad, pathetic man / Christian.

We already made fun of Alan and the fact he had a gay kid back when he was running for the Senate, but since Mikey Moore is a staple at this place, I'll just say "carry on..."

We were?

News to me.

Hmm. Thats alot of daughters of powerful conservative men going gay. Whats up with that? :)

Didn't you know? It's the latest trend.

I'm hoping for some Bush twins HLA myself.

We were?

News to me.

There was a thread or two back in October before the elections. It had numerous examples, I believe, of Keyes random insanity / idiocy.

We already made fun of Alan and the fact he had a gay kid back when he was running for the Senate, but since Mikey Moore is a staple at this place, I'll just say "carry on..."

We were?

News to me.

Don't question my search abilities, hippie...

OMG PWN3D~!!!!!!!!!!!!111

That'll teach me to ask a stupid question.

Just saying.

Then you shouldn't have an opinion on that concept.

Just saying.

I don't believe in communism.

Am I not allowed to criticize, using an *opinion* of some of their ideals?

Just saying.

I don't believe in murder either, but I can still have an opinion on it.

Just saying.

I don't believe in murder either, but I can still have an opinion on it.

Hey fucker I already used an analogy, and besides, yours is a false one.

I dunno, I think both of your analogies are kind of false. Yours is definitely false, because communism does actually exist, and RobotJerk's is probably false unless he means he actually doesn't believe in the concept of murder. I think his original use of "believe" is a bit different than what you've done now.

But I still agree with the sentiment you were going for, so. Spicy McHaggis isn't making a lot of sense on this one, esp. considering the fact that sin lacks a definition outside of its religious context.

I dunno, I think both of your analogies are kind of false. Yours is definitely false, because communism does actually exist, and RobotJerk's is probably false unless he means he actually doesn't believe in the concept of murder. I think his original use of "believe" is a bit different than what you've done now.

But I still agree with the sentiment you were going for, so. Spicy McHaggis isn't making a lot of sense on this one, esp. considering the fact that sin lacks a definition outside of its religious context.

You are right on this one. Fucking English major.

How about I don't believe in aliens in outer space, so I must be unqualified to talk about it? When in reality, maybe I am qualified to the point where I have good reasoning not to believe?

Her father, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois last year, created a stir in August when he said during an interview that homosexuality was "selfish hedonism" and that Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter was a sinner.

In a statement issued Monday night, Keyes said: "My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities."

In other words, he got owned.

In a statement issued Monday night, Keyes said: "Great job I did steering my kids down the righteous path. Boy, I sure look like a huge hypocrite now, huh?"