TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

500 Issue AMAZING SPIDER-MAN CD-ROM

Anyone else seen this Amazing Spider-Man CD-ROM?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Its Adobe Acrobat pages of every "Amazing Spider-Man" comic up to issue #500, plus Amazing Fantasy #15, on 11 CD-ROMs.

My wife bought it for me for Valentine's Day, and it just arrived today.

They are original comics, with ads and everything, scanned as PDF files and in full color.

I hope Marvel makes more of these.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 501 comics to read.

The only problem I can see is the million-and-one crossovers they did in the nineties, but that's definitely looking a gift horse in the mouth. great idea on Marvel's part.

Which would they do next? I'd say probably Hulk or Avengers would be cool, X-Men was one big crossover by the nineties, so taht would be difficult.

I wonder if we'll start seeing TPBs in CD-ROM form?

If they do I hope they still make them as they are now too. Im pretty sure that reading comics on the computer is the reason I had to get glasses last week.

I've got that as well. They also have this (not as good) collection available. I recall going to the manufacturer's web site when I got it and seeing they had planned several more character collections (basically all the ones in that catch all I posted a link to), but apparently none of it is released yet.

The early 90's were a *really* bad stretch for Marvel's "big name" comics. I don't think I'd be very interested in reading FF #294 to #416 since that was when the book was in the absolute gutter from a story telling point.

Same deal for the Avengers. Things got *really* bad for this book when Galactic Storm hit around issue #348 and from there the book just continued to plummet badly in the stroyline department.

Give it to the Hulk. That *might* be Marvel's best character book ever from a storyline standpoint. I don't think the Hulk had an awful stretch with any of the writers that came on. I mean, Peter David wrote over 100 + issues during the dark days of Marvel and managed to churn out some entertaining books. After issue #425, with the Fall of the Pantheon, things kinda went old Hulk and the books were either hit or miss until David left the book with #467.

Yeah, I'd say Marvel should do this for the Hulk next. Not too many cross-overs to deal with and the majority of the 1st Hulk run was really well written.

I don't think I'd be very interested in reading FF #294 to #416 since that was when the book was in the absolute gutter from a story telling point.

I disagree. The Walt Simonson run (FF #334-354) is pretty well beloved, has the FF as time travel explorers (complete with the Thing, who Simonson inherited from the previous writer as restored to human form, as a two-fisted Doctor Who type hero) and had one of the best Doom/Mr. Fantastic fights with Doom revealing that he could do what Reed never could, IE cure Ben of being a Thing.

Also, the "Fantastic Three" section of the DeFalco run has it's supporters do to the fact that Tom was able to get a lot of good character stuff out of Reed's "death" and inject the book with a "What the fuck will happen next" quotient that was missing at the time. Not to mention DeFalco bringing Ant Man II into the big leagues as Reed's replacement on the team.

Same deal for the Avengers.  Things got *really* bad for this book when Galactic Storm hit around issue #348 and from there the book just continued to plummet badly in the stroyline department.

Again, not so... The Harras run has aged pretty well what with Steve Epting as the main artist and the whole "Proctor and the Gatherers" storyline, which was pretty good. Not to mention the fact that Harras brought back Hank Pym, did a lot of fixing the damage done to Vision by John Byrne, AND made Black Widow a competant super-hero as the team leader. And even the contrived "Crystal/Black Knight/Sersi" love triangle worked with the way that Harras kept readers guessing towards how the thing would work out....

The only problem though is that Harras dragged out the Proctor storyline so long that there was WAY too much filler stories inbetween issues. Also once Proctor got defeated, the run ran out of steam and just became a directionless nightmare.....

That being said, the Hulk would be the perfect pick for the next CD-ROm collection if only because his series is pretty much stand-alone which means not too many X-Overs like the Spidey CD-Rom has.

Also, you might just want to buy the upcoming "Essential Defenders" TPB when it comes out in a couple of months since Marvel has been quite frank with them considering that they don't think there is a market for reprints of the old Defenders, despite that Defenders has been one of the most requested book for the Essential line for the last couple of years).....

I saw the X-Men one on eBay a few weeks ago. Almost bought it. I'm so getting the Avengers one, though.

the X-Men one...I'm guessing that's just Uncanny or does that also include the plain X-Men title that started in 91? What about all these other offshoots they currently have? Either way, that and the Spider-Man one are sure-fire purchases!

Awesome beyond all superlatives. So great that they upgraded to just one DVD-ROM instead of 11 cds like the Spider-Man set. Wonder if they'll re-release the Spidey set on DVD also?

And when's the release date for the Avengers set? It's not listed on amazon.com yet. Can't wait to get that one and the F4 set.

the X-Men one...I'm guessing that's just Uncanny or does that also include the plain X-Men title that started in 91? What about all these other offshoots they currently have?

Only Uncanny X-Men issues here. No off-shots like X-Factor, New X-Men, etc., and no Age of Apocalypse either.

I tried looking around Amazon with no luck, so does anyone know if they plan on doing something like this (or already have) for DC characters? I read a lot of the older 50s and 60s issues when I was six thanks to several large bagfuls my mother's boyfriend had. He had lots of other stuff too, but I've always had a thing for the DC biggies rather than being a universal completist or something.

DC only just now got around to copying the "Essential" format of cheap b&w 500+page reprints of older comics, which Marvel started about 10 years ago.

Okay, so, just 9 days after ordering it from Digital Comics (yes, it took me a while to finally decide which one to order), I got my Uncanny X-Men set. All the comics are in pdf format, and the final issue of the set is Uncanny X-Men #461. There's a few pages where the text is a little hard to read because the ink looks a little faded, but for the most part they look good.

Here's a sample of what you'll get (from issue #275, drawn by Jim Lee).

edit: According to the coming next section of the disk, 2006 will see the release of not just the Avengers, but Daredevil, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk.

uncannyxmen275page14and15.BMP

I tried looking around Amazon with no luck, so does anyone know if they plan on doing something like this (or already have) for DC characters? I read a lot of the older 50s and 60s issues when I was six thanks to several large bagfuls my mother's boyfriend had. He had lots of other stuff too, but I've always had a thing for the DC biggies rather than being a universal completist or something.

DC won't do this for an assortment of reasons: the biggest reason being that the online/digital rights to the entire DCU library are owned by AOL and AOL has no interest in doing "Series Sets" like Marvel is doing or doing ANY sort of liscencing to get DC's back-issues onto the net.