TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

MVP Baseball and ESPN MLB released early

MVP Baseball 2005 from EA Sports was shipped today, 2/22. Some stores got copies in this evening, while others (such as my local game stores) will not be receiving them until tomorrow.

In order to counter the moving up of the release date, 2K games ahs announced that Major League Baseball 2K5 will be shipped/released on 2/23/05.

Great... Now I can read reviews of both before deciding what to get. I'm really tempted to buy both, but there are too many other games I want to buy.

Then again, I probably shouldn't buy anything since I haven't even played 4-5 of the games I've bought recently... but whatever.

Please post thoughts and opinions if any of you buy either game.

Team Xbox has a review for MVP up.

MVP Review (8.8/10)

The only thing that bothers me is this- They don't mention online leagues/seasons. They don't deny that they're in, but they don't verify them either.

I've checked out various videos and info for both MVP and ESPN and MVP is looking better, but I need to be able to play in a league on Live.

Everything here is in reference to the PS2 version:

Played a couple of quick games and have some mixed feelings.

The Good

- Improved graphics: Things look a bit sharper up close and the scenery is definitely improved from last year's model.

- Pitching accuarcy: They decided to mess with the pitching accuracy and I think it was for the better. What was once a green chunk of the indicator has now been broken into three parts: Early, Perfect, and Late. The perfect section is the only remaining green part. Although you could usually tell if you were late or early in last year's model, it'd be tough to tell if it was perfect or not. A problem no more.

- Smoother gameplay: One of the first things I noticed was the smoother gameplay. Everything flows easier and makes for an improved gaming experience. Additionally, the freezed frame shot that would occur when a homerun was hit last season is no more. This annoyed me last season, so it was nice to smack a ball onto the streets and actually see it go into the streets.

- Fixed lefty glitch: This isn't 100 percent, but it seems that the lefty glitch that was present in last year's game has been fixed.

The Bad

- Jagged graphics: I noticed this only during the night game I played, but the graphics looked more jagged than during the day game. I started out with a night game and was instantly disapointed at how poor the graphics looked in comparison to last year's. Playing the day game, I see that this may only be the case during games played at night.

- No quick access to the bullpen: This was a handy feature last year, so I'm baffled as to why it's not there any longer. It's a real pain having to pause the game, go to roster options, then to warm up pitchers and then select the pitcher.

- The commentary: Same duo as last season's and not that much better. It seems they have more depth in the things they say, but it still gets old. Also, some comments are driven into the ground and far too late into the game. Hearing them say what a great strikeout pitcher Prior is in four different ways within the span of a few minutes wasn't necessary.

- The music: Holy shit. I thought last year's was bad. This is just terrible. It's like a parody of the bad stuff we got in MVP 2004. I believe I detected a rock song with bagpipes present.

I'll delve into the Owner Mode later tonight. That's the big selling point of this new game, so hopefully it doesn't disapoint.

Guest Failed Mascot
- The music: Holy shit. I thought last year's was bad. This is just terrible. It's like a parody of the bad stuff we got in MVP 2004. I believe I detected a rock song with bagpipes present.

That would be Tessie by the Dropkick Murphys. The man to blame is Steve Buckley since he brought it to Dr. Charles Steinberg and it just went crazy from there.

Did they fix the glitch where you hit a deep flyball to CF in Fenway and the NCP just keeps running into the damned wall?

Well I like the Dropkick Murphys (Flogging Molly is good too), so there. That chocolate carrot juice vanilla girl with her Asian friend THAT'S the abomination. I detected a lick from Joe's Garage in that Pressure Point song.

As for the quick bullpen thing...it's still there but you have to hold R2 and cycle through a bunch of other managerial menu's with the Left analog stick.

Guest Failed Mascot

I'll probably go pick-up 2K5 since its $10 cheaper and has a BaseBall Tonight wrap-up thingie.

As for the quick bullpen thing...it's still there but you have to hold R2 and cycle through a bunch of other managerial menu's with the Left analog stick.

I figured that out during the last game I played. It's actually better this year since you can also get a quick look at both lineups and all of their stats.

Some minor changes have been made for the better, too. When a hitter misses a bad pitch, he looks downright foolish (i.e. almost falls over), which is a nice touch. They also pan over to the on-deck circle in late inning situations if he represents the tying or go-ahead run.

And just to confirm, the left hand glitch has definitely been fixed. I don't think I could've hit a homer with Tony Womack in MVP 2004 if my life depended on it. Not the case in 2005. It was even off a lefty.

- The music:  Holy shit.  I thought last year's was bad.  This is just terrible.  It's like a parody of the bad stuff we got in MVP 2004.  I believe I detected a rock song with bagpipes present.

Well I like the Dropkick Murphys (Flogging Molly is good too), so there. That chocolate carrot juice vanilla girl with her Asian friend THAT'S the abomination. I detected a lick from Joe's Garage in that Pressure Point song.

Never mind, it's from that Sathington Willingby song by Primus

Another cool little feature is when you hit foul balls that are obvious foul balls the camera doesnt bother moving at all.

I love the fact that you can throw to the pitcher while he runs to 1st instead of waiting for him to get there before you can throw it.

Basically they took everything that did suck(what little there was of it) about last year's gam and fixed/improved it. I crushed a couple balls with Ortiz so far so yea the Lefty glitch is gone.

I'm just playing on Pro for now to get comfortable. I can't seem to hit HR's with consistency which is good I guess. The hitters eye is a subtle little feature that does help if you see it.

The computer actually makes mistakes, go figure! The umpires miss calls too. Nothing like getting called strike 3 when the ball is just outside the K-zone and seeing the batter lose it. I haven't seen or tried argued calls yet but i'm sure it's fun also.

The gameplay itself is much smoother than last year too, I can't really find any negatives yet.

Another cool feature is that one of Frank Fransico's pitches is a folding chair.

Is it me or is the strike zone a bit lower down than last year's? I seem to be going through a bit of a relearning process with consistent hitting (got it on pro, too), which is fine, but I think that may be the cause of it.

Yes it is definitely lower. I believe to make it look more realistic with pitch angles. The pitcher is above the batter so now it looks that way in the game too. Another sweet little feature.

I haven't gotten to my first home game(fenway) yet so I haven't noticed the availible game times. if it's only Dusk and Night That's a bit strange...I think they did that because of the center field section. During day games they block those seats with a green tarp most of the time(other times they gave out green shirts so fans could sit there for day games). So maybe to not have to make an alternate version of Fenway with the tarp they eliminated broad daylight games?

Just a guess...

Im waiting for Outpost to ship MVP, but I got it for $24.95 with free shipping so I can wait I guess.

Im pretty much willing to bet...that Sosa is still with the Cubs. Damnit. I know the computer wont allow Sosa for Hairston/Fontenot like in real life..

Im waiting for Outpost to ship MVP, but I got it for $24.95 with free shipping so I can wait I guess.

Im pretty much willing to bet...that Sosa is still with the Cubs. Damnit. I know the computer wont allow Sosa for Hairston/Fontenot like in real life..

He's still a Cub in the game. And why wouldn't you just do the trade before entering Dynasty or Owner mode?

I just got home with the Xbox version of MVP. I usually go with Take 2 over EA in every sport, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Anyone have a handy short list of trades/signings that need to be made to make rosters realistic before entering a season? Also, why isn't Barry Bonds in this game?

One of the unlockable stadiums is Boston with years going to the present, so I'm thinking that would be your daytime Fenway.

Still, 15 classic stadiums are in the game, including a few never before seen in EA games, including Cleveland Municipal Stadium, which had me marking out. Between the Mistake by the Lake and the 80s uniforms, the only things missing are Joe-Boo, Wild Thing and Roger Dorn.

Eh last year's MVP froze on the same date on 2 or 3 different franchises for me so I'm still a bit wary. Unlike some others around here though I like EA (at least their sports games) so I'll probably break down and give it a shot eventually.

A rock song with bagpipes??

Actually, I just dl'ed Tessie and I kinda liked it. An Irish rock song about the Red Sox fans? Sure, I'll listen to it. It actually led me on a Dropkick Murphys download spree. I recommend "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced" and "Irish Drinking Song".

Guest Failed Mascot

I don't know how they are in your MVP game but in ESPN the Yankees are old and slow. I just swept them to start the season...and the funny thing is I did it with pitching mainly. Won the first game 4-3, second game 5-2, third game 3-0. This game is perfect to me at least in its gameplay.

That's probably because Dropkick Murphy's sucks.

You can NOT play less than a 162 game season in either mode, so just sim the games you dont want to play in betweeen.

I think that unlockable fenway will be the OLD fenway before the Green Monster was added.