TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes

From Amazon.com

Product Description:

Calvin and Hobbes is unquestionably one of the most popular comic strips of all time. The imaginative world of a boy and his real-only-to-him tiger was first syndicated in 1985 and appeared in more than 2,400 newspapers when Bill Watterson retired on January 1, 1996. More than 30 million of the 17 Calvin and Hobbes books (all published by Andrews McMeel) have been sold. And now, we're pleased to announce that the entire body of Calvin and Hobbes cartoons will be published in a truly noteworthy tribute to this singular cartoon. Composed of three hardcover, four-color volumes in a sturdy slipcase, this edition will include all Calvin and Hobbes cartoons that ever appeared in syndication. This is the treasure that all Calvin and Hobbes fans will seek.

Pretty steep price ($94.50), but I may just have to break down & get this when it is released (supposedly Sept. 1).

Good God I'll have to buy that.

Is it too late to ask for a less-expensive, non-hardcover edition? I love Calvin & Hobbes and I have a few of their books, but as of this moment that price is a turn-off for me.

I would love to get this....but its WAY to far out of my price range so unless I get alot of money overnight I'll pass.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

i have all the calvin and hobbes comics strips from 85-95 on my computer.

but yeah,, i gotta get this.

Guest Failed Mascot

I'll be getting this and The Complete Far Side. The comics just haven't been the same since both strips ended.

Wow. Between this, the Complete Far Side and the Complete Peanuts collections, I'm going to need bigger bookshelves.

You've got another eleven years to go for the Complete Peanuts collection to be complete.

I'll be forty years old when the last book in that series comes out...

-Ben

Okay for those of you who are griping about the cost yet really want this, think of it this way, it is supposed to come out on Sept. 1st, so thats 26 weeks away.

$94.50 / 26 weeks = $3.64 per week (roughly). If you can't save $3.64 in a cookie jar every week then you don't deserve the book in the first place :)

It makes me really sad that incredibly clever, hilariously funny comic strips last less then 15 years, while fucking Dagwood has been in newspapers for 75 years, and hasn't been funny for at least 70 of them.

Agreed. And I can't think of a single time when C&H wasn't great. No "oh, for a year or two around then it wasn't that great" or anything. It was just awesome in every conceivable way throughout...

It makes me really sad that incredibly clever, hilariously funny comic strips last less then 15 years, while fucking Dagwood has been in newspapers for 75 years, and hasn't been funny for at least 70 of them.

Hey I love the Blondie strip. Granted, the earlier ones, but still it is a classic, and its longevity is well-deserved. I believe it went for 3 generations at least, so that's why it has lasted so long. Wether C&H went for only 15 years is not really that relevant, it still is arguably the greatest strip ever. If the creator chose to stop producing the strip then it was his decision and our loss.

Okay, yes, Wizard of Id is pretty bad (not just because it's not funny, but because the drawings are just plain bad), but I used Blondie as my example because it has, literally, been around for 75 years. 75 years worth of jokes about eating sandwiches, having a jerk for a boss, and sleeping on the couch. That's not a strip, that's a normal person's life.

I mean, I understand why Blondie is still around and Calvin and Hobbes isn't, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad about it.

Also, I don't understand this:

I believe it went for 3 generations at least, so that's why it has lasted so long.

It lasted a long time because it lasted a long time?

anyone else get a little misty reading the last strip? I'm man enough to admit it, I did the first time I read it (I think I was in elementary school)

anyone else get a little misty reading the last strip? I'm man enough to admit it, I did the first time I read it (I think I was in elementary school)

Was it the one where they're going around with their sleds talking about exploring? I thought that was the last one, but I heard of another that sounded more like a final strip.

Was it the one where they're going around with their sleds talking about exploring? I thought that was the last one, but I heard of another that sounded more like a final strip.

yeah, that was the last one

calvin_hobbes.jpg

Is it too late to ask for a less-expensive, non-hardcover edition? I love Calvin & Hobbes and I have a few of their books, but as of this moment that price is a turn-off for me.

It'll never happen; the product is being made solely for those people who can afford a $100 hardcover product.

If it's any consolation, the C&H book will probably not be a cheaply made piece of crap like the Farside HC was, since I know a shitload of people complained about how pages fell out due to crappy binding of the books....

yeah, that was the last one

calvin_hobbes.jpg

Awww....

I believe it went for 3 generations at least, so that's why it has lasted so long.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say was that it went from the original creator, Chic Young, to his son, to his grandson (or maybe just to the son, I'm not clear about this), so that's why I said 3 generations. So what I meant was 3 generations of CREATORS. Sorry again for the mix-up.

Also, I believe that last C&H strip is printed on the "It's a Magical World" collection.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say was that it went from the original creator, Chic Young, to his son, to his grandson (or maybe just to the son, I'm not clear about this), so that's why I said 3 generations. So what I meant was 3 generations of CREATORS. Sorry again for the mix-up.

Also, I believe that last C&H strip is printed on the "It's a Magical World" collection.

it is

Okay, yes, Wizard of Id is pretty bad (not just because it's not funny, but because the drawings are just plain bad), but I used Blondie as my example because it has, literally, been around for 75 years. 75 years worth of jokes about eating sandwiches, having a jerk for a boss, and sleeping on the couch. That's not a strip, that's a normal person's life.

I mean, I understand why Blondie is still around and Calvin and Hobbes isn't, but that doesn't mean I can't get mad about it.

Blondie has lasted 75 years for a variety of reasons:

It's first four years was a massive storyline of love between Blondie and Dagwood, with the plot of Dagwood's rich parents hating Blondie because she didn't come from a wealthy family and ultimately disowning Dagwood when he picked Blondie over his wealthy parents and their money.

After they married they had the proverbial storybook marriage complete with the births of their two kids and the overall theme of love triumpthing over all of the financial hardships the two (especially Dagwood) faced trying to start a family in the middle of the Depression. They were the underdog and that drove the series and led the strip to be so popular, that it spawn over a dozen movies from the late 1930s through 1950.

I would agree that the middle of the 20th Century was hard for the strip but they bounced back with the kids growing up and having teen problems while at the same time giving Dagwood friends and enemies to give him people to interact with. Granted over the years the early years of the strip (mainly the fact that Dagwood is a disowned rich kid) have been ignored as they've brought the strip into the modern age. This was most notable in the early/mid 1990s when they SORAS the son into an actual teenager and them giving Blondie a storyline in terms of her starting her own business, which gave the strip new storyline outlets for stories besides the more timeless ones like Dagwood's carpool problems and his workplace relationship with his boss.

The entire strip is printed IN that colection, but not on the cover.  Just the shot of them walking in the snow, minus the dialogue, is on the cover.

I assumed that that's what he meant, I figured "on" was a typo