TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone like hulk hogan

Does anyone here like Hogan?  I'm no big fan now.  I was when I was 10, but let's face it, the man has limited skills and he looks a lot older than he is.  But I dunno, all this Hogan bashing has got me kinda down.  Somewhere in my cold Benoit smarking heart, a piece of me yearns to chear this guy.  I guess I'm not really a smark.  For those of you who have seen my few posts, your reaction is probably "Who the Fvck is this guy.  So let me take this oppurtunity to introduce myself.  I loved wrestling when I was young.  But I was only a WWF fan.  Then I stopped watching altogether.  Something about wrestling being fake.  Just kidding.  Anyway, I started watching again when Smackdown debuted (no cable so I never really knew about the Monday night Wars), and discovered Chris Benoit.  Now when I view the matches I loved in the past, I view them with disgust.  How could I have missed Steamboat/Savage and instead watched Hogan/Andre.  I now know what wrestling, real wrestling is like.  And so I don't know enough to really be a smark.  But I definitely am a workrate purist and I think that my feelings lie with those of smarks.  I guess it's like the whole punk debate.  Now I'm ramblin.  Anyway, I guess my real question is, does anyone, somewhere in their heart still feel like a Hulkamaniac?  Or is Hulk Hogan to wrestling what Blink 182 is to punk, a cheap mushy substitute.  Aw hell, I'm gonna go watch Benoit vs Malenko.  Post replies if you want

Guest alfdogg

I, along with a lot of other people on this board, like Hogan.  I marked when I was little, and no matter what is said about the guy, I just can't hate him.

I'm no Hulkamaniac.  Even when I started watching in '90, during his heyday I was all about Warrior and Savage.  But yeah, I feel the urge sometimes to mark out big time and pop for my TV set when Hogan shows the 24 inch pythons.  I'm a big fan of the wrestlers that are "smark" picks.  Flair, Bret, Benoit, Angle, Jericho, are all among my all time favorites.  But the sad truth is none of them are nor will ever be as big a name as Hogan.  He's not athletic, he bumps like shit, and the motorcycle thing was beyond pathetic, but he's Hulk Hogan.  No matter what, he's Hulk Hogan.  A household name.  The biggest icon in wrestling.  I mean, its too bad that the only reason he's getting pushed now is that name, but hey, I'm not a McMahon.  I just sit back and watch.  When Hogan finally retires, I'll thank him for years and years of entertainment.  If it weren't for Hogan, many of us, even the ones who hate him, may never have gotten into wrestling.  And that's my 2 goddamn cents.

I'd love Hogan if JUST ONCE he would put someone over, totally cleanly, without grabbing heat for himself. And even more if he realised he should stop wrestling and assumed a manager/ commisioner/ owner angle. Right now, even when I see his older matches, I see a selfish git who really doesn't care about the business. Remember how much heat he leached off the Warrior at Wrestlemania?

Guest nWoScorpion

I think when he jobbed to Kidman 80% of their matches in what was it, 1999-2000, that was putting him over (yet kidman is still NO WHERE NEAR Anything higher then crusierweight)

I am a full pledged Hulkamaniac. No matter what, I cheer Hogan. When nWo came in as heels i cheered him. when he ran over rock, i cheered him. ONly time  i didnt cheer him was when he left the WWF. So i have a question forever one. Whacha Gonna do brother when me, and all my little hulkamaniacs form as one, and press you oer our hreads high, and slam you to the mat? Whachu gonna do brothers when the largest arms in the world run wild on you!!? lOl

WHEN HE RETIRES, THEY BETTER PLAY REAL AMERICAN TO HIM POSING FOR 20 MINUTES!

JR is hilarious, at WM X-8, he was dissin Hogqn, now his kissing his ass like Pat Patterson does Vince Mcmahon. I mean, hes probably using tongue sometimes. Fuck Nostalgia, hogan is STILL getting good pops from a somewhat dead crowd (face it, if you were up afte rmark henry or test or christian, would the fans still be awake?)

if they brought back Old School Undertaker for Judgement Day, that would be the shiznit. BUT since Vince doesnt listen to fans EVER, he wont.

HArk? do I hear someone struttin and cuttin? I hope not, but the nostalgia would be fun. Hey wheres are dunk buddies Ted, Jake & Tully at?!

BTW, Sting was at my church this past sunday giving a sermen (pardin me spellin)

Um, i dont wanna be starting a fight or anything, but as I recall, those Kidman matches were always won on a fluke pin, and then Hogan beat him down, making sure most of his heat was retained... thats not really putting him over.

Actually, I'd love to see a retirement angle with the old skuwl 'Taker, and I can't see how a good send off would harm the Wee wee or Hogan. I'm with you there.

Guest TheMikeSC

I think when he jobbed to Kidman 80% of their matches in what was it, 1999-2000, that was putting him over (yet kidman is still NO WHERE NEAR Anything higher then crusierweight)>>>

WOW. Interesting definition of "putting over" ya got there. Lessee, Kidman pinned Hogan once with MASSIVE interference and Eric Bischoff making a quick 3-count. Hogan, on the other hand, squashed Kidman repeatedly.

Man, I'd hate to see what you call "not putting over somebody" would look like.

<<<I am a full pledged Hulkamaniac. No matter what, I cheer Hogan. When nWo came in as heels i cheered him. when he ran over rock, i cheered him. ONly time  i didnt cheer him was when he left the WWF. So i have a question forever one. Whacha Gonna do brother when me, and all my little hulkamaniacs form as one, and press you oer our hreads high, and slam you to the mat?>>>

Umm, give your parents booklets on birth control options so they don't make the same mistake twice?

<<<Whachu gonna do brothers when the largest arms in the world run wild on you!!? lOl>>

I think I'll stick with the whole birth control option for your parents.

<<<WHEN HE RETIRES, THEY BETTER PLAY REAL AMERICAN TO HIM POSING FOR 20 MINUTES!>>>

Well, as long as he doesn't wrestle, I'm fine with it...

<<<JR is hilarious, at WM X-8, he was dissin Hogqn, now his kissing his ass like Pat Patterson does Vince Mcmahon. I mean, hes probably using tongue sometimes. Fuck Nostalgia, hogan is STILL getting good pops from a somewhat dead crowd (face it, if you were up afte rmark henry or test or christian, would the fans still be awake?)>>>

Of course, I COULD mention that since Hogan has returned, ratings are down, buyrates are down (WM X-8 did worse than X-7 AND 2K), attendance is down...

But, hey, he gets pops from those smaller crowds, so I guess it's a good thing.

<<<if they brought back Old School Undertaker for Judgement Day, that would be the shiznit. BUT since Vince doesnt listen to fans EVER, he wont.>>>

If he actually noticed what the fans are ACTUALLY saying, he'd dump Hogan tomorrow.

<<<HArk? do I hear someone struttin and cuttin? I hope not, but the nostalgia would be fun. Hey wheres are dunk buddies Ted, Jake & Tully at?!

BTW, Sting was at my church this past sunday giving a sermen (pardin me spellin) >>>

Was he as bad at that as he was at wrestling post-1996?

-=Mike

Guest buffybeast

I have always hated Hogan.  Even when I was a 13-year-old pimply faced, braces wearing mark.  I didn't have good reason to hate him then.  I do now.

I think that before the resurrgence of Hulkamania in WWF the rule was everyone on the net hated Hogan.  Surprisingly, when Hogan reemerged in WWF, some of those same net Hogan-haters were out buying Hulkamania shirts and what not.  

It's sad, really.  Hogan moves about as fast as a snail, looks old, busted up and leathery, but people still go crazy for him.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

I've always hated Hogan. Part of it is probably due to me being exposed more to the NWA than the WWF when I was growing up. I just don't see anything redeemable about him at all, but hey, if others who are/were fans of his want to cheer him and whatnot, then go right on and do it.

Guest J*ingus

Hogan is a frustrating case in that, about 90% of the time, whatever he's doing is total crap, completely worthless, makes me want to puke & throw something heavy through my TV screen.  But every once in a while, he'll actually come out with something good that keeps me from completely hating him (like the "defending bald people" skit last Smackdown).

Guest RetroRob215

I hated Hogan until he started the nWo.  Then I loved him because he was a kickass heel.  Then I got sick of WCW and never watched them again.  Now I think having Hogan in the WWF is great.  He is one of the only draws they have left, even if he can't work a good match.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Hogan sucks ass as a wrestler and he sucks ass playing a face. He's decent as a heel, but as a face, he sucks. I can deal with him cheating his ass off to win, I can't deal with him beating people cleanly with a fucking legdrop. That is the most anticlimactic finisher you can ever have. Everyone was talking about Hogan using a powerbomb as his finisher before. Right now, his physical abilities have eroded to the point where I know I wouldn't let him powerbomb me. I could wite a list of Hogan stuff that pisses me off.

Guest dreamer420

I didn't like nWo version of Hogan.  After seeing Wrestlemania and how Hulkamania was reborn I was a huge fan again and I even mark out every time Voodoo Child hits and Hogan air guitars his way to the ring.

Guest Just call me Dan

Giving credit where credit is due, Hogan is a true giant of wrestling and forever will be.  The Hulkamania character is way too stale for me to excuse anymore.

I LOVE Hollywood, and I'd be double as happy if he had the same matches just with that character to build them.

Guest Just call me Dan

If Hogan would exclaim "Chagonnado!" after the crowd screams what again, I'd definetly be won over once again.

Guest TheDames7

I won't be happy until Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea is six feet deep.  Thats a shoot.

Dames

Guest papacita

Alright...this is the first time I've ever admitted this to anybody and and I'm still a little embarrassed by this, so bare with me here.

I can't believe I'm saying this but....the night after No Way Out...when Hogan showed up for his interview on Raw.........I kinda.....sorta......almost.....um....*COUGHSMILEDCOUGH*

Not that I like Hogan or anything, but he's just always been a wrestler I loved to hate, and when he returned, I got my old punching bag back. From a mark standpoint, I don't like the guy but I'm glad he's around right now.

Guest dreamer420
The Hulkamania character is way too stale for me to excuse anymore.

I disagree with that.  Whether you want to believe it or not the fans wanted Hulkamania back, but no one thought it would take off like it did.  I can't explain it either but I do enjoy watching it mainly because Hogan looks overwhelmed when he gets into the ring from the crowds reactions.  He actually looks moved by what is happening sometimes.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

hulk sucks.  i missed the original hulkamania, and all i see is an old, bald man trying his best to move.  i dont care who he was, i cant have any respect for a guy who hangs on this long, and really makes for exceedingly boring television.  although, while one part of me wants him to go out again ala the russo shoot, the other half just wants him to go away quietly.  either way, i want him fucking gone!

Guest JHawk

I was the biggest Hulkamaniac in the world when I was younger, I'll admit that.  But then I turned 10 and began to see a wrestler named Ric Flair.

But I'll give credit where credit is due.  Hogan is always going to be considered a legend, and with good reason.  Nobody with the possible exceptiong of Steve Austin has ever been as popular for as extended a period of time.  He was largely responsible for the wrestling boom of the 1980s.  

But Hogan has sucked since he left the first time in 1992.  He went into WCW and was put over Flair when he hadn't wrestled in a fucking year.  He goes over Flair in a retirement match that nobody wanted Hogan to win.  He gets into a feud with Vader FOUR MONTHS after they announced Vader as the top contender, and then he goes off to film Thunder in Paradise or some straight to video movie or some shit and went FIVE MONTHS without a title defense, televised or otherwise.  Everytime he'd win the belt after that, it just happened to be when he needed time off to film the damn meeting.  He doesn't attempt to sell unless it's one of his friends.  It's all about him looking good and nobody else matters at all.  Tony Schiavone said it best: "Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell."

I agree that when Hogan retires, he should be given a huge sendoff.  One last extended pose to "Real American" is fine.  But get that fucking title off of him and onto somebody I want to see out there.

Guest nWoScorpion

Did everyone forget WCW had house shows. Hence why i said Kidman def. hogans everal times, cause they worked a program for a short time. Kidman put Hogan thorugh a table getitng tramendous heat, cause hogan was "injureD" badly by someone not 400 pounds or 6'9".

Guest TheMikeSC

Did everyone forget WCW had house shows. Hence why i said Kidman def. hogans everal times, cause they worked a program for a short time. Kidman put Hogan thorugh a table getitng tramendous heat, cause hogan was "injureD" badly by someone not 400 pounds or 6'9". >>>

WCW had very few house shows in 2000---and since just about nobody watched them, nobody remembers this stuff.

Hogan made Billy look like a complete joke when they worked.

-=Mike

Every Hogan match or Hogan interview segment is time wasted. I know Hogan sells a lot of t-shirts and bandannas, but if they spent half the time they've spent on Hogan on giving, say, RVD some interview segments, or building up Edge's or Raven's character, they'd have a solid investment in the future of their storylines (and their merchandise sales!).

Hell, I'll admit it. I loved Hogan as a kid. I was with him right up to the Warrior match at WMVI.  I think that's when a lot of us lost it for him, because he actually lost this time. Even with all that talk about being Immortal, I think Hogan still came out worse for wear (popularity wise) when he lost to Warrior. After that it all just went downhill.

Hogan, these days. Looks different. He's skinnier. He doesn't bleach out his eyebrows anymore (which looks f'n WIERD). Hell, his voice even sounds different. If anything, Hogan should be in a speaking-only role. Or off enjoying retirement with his FAMILY rather than clinging to "one last run."

Oh, and I don't know what is so "Hollywood" about his "five o'clock shadow" beard thing, but that HAS TO GO!

Guest dreamer420

I like the black beard.  It's like Hogan right now is a mixture of the old WWF Hogan and the WCW nWo Hogan.  That's why he wears the red and yellow but still has the black beard.