TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Deadbolt

Can The Fallen Angel Succeed as X Division Champ?

Guest Deadbolt

As we all saw on Destination X, Chris Daniels has dethroned A.J Styles as X Division champion. Still, I see some shadows lying in his future. I'm not sure wether he was the ideal guy to be made champion.

I think that he is very, very good as an all rounder. Winning the X Division title means that Daniels represents the division. The problem is that Daniels' matches are all wrestling matches, not Amazing Red "Hit the Spots!" matches, which is really what the X Division is about, a high spots division. He's definetly going to have some problems in this case. Some fans love the spots and get bored to death by Daniels' slow, methodical matches. It could actually lead to a lost of fans here.

Some people might not agree, but Daniels looks less impressive in the spotlight. It might be due to a lack of a strong gimmick or even his very generic wrestler look, but Daniels just doesn't seem to cut it as a TNA money maker, something that guys like Styles and Williams were.

What do you think?

I think they need to build up on Daniels strengths and make him a dominate champion then have him challenge Jeff Jarrett for the NWA title at the big PPV.

Chris Daniels as a double champion = money.

Its funny that you say that since Daniels has had the "match of the night" for every PPV he's been in since Dec. I think he can carry the divison well enough, his name is just as big as AJ styles, maybe even bigger. He'll do good for the divison.

Daniels deserves a run with the X-Title probably more than anyone. He can mat-wrestle, fly, and sell nearly anything like it's death. I would lvoe to see him get a run with the World title, and the X-Title is a good first-step towards doing so.

I think they need to build up on Daniels strengths and make him a dominate champion then have him challenge Jeff Jarrett for the NWA title at the big PPV.

Remember when Daniels returned a week earlier than his videos were saying and he attacked Jarrett?

That feud was money.

Remember when Daniels returned a week earlier than his videos were saying and he attacked Jarrett?

That feud was money.

Until Jarrett went over Daniels at every turn.

That feud was money.

I choose to forget that part.

Some people might not agree, but Daniels looks less impressive in the spotlight. It might be due to a lack of a strong gimmick or even his very generic wrestler look, but Daniels just doesn't seem to cut it as a TNA money maker, something that guys like Styles and Williams were.

What?

Daniels will probably be the great X champ of all time only rivaled by styles. there are far worse people(siaki) or lesser names(sabin,kazarian,shane) that have been x champ before.

Daniels is as good as it gets. Take a look at Siaki...you think he is a spot machine?? I'd like to see daniels go over AJ cleanly then fued with skipper over the x title before he jumps to world title level.

never said he was bad. just that he is not as big a name as daniels.

Daniels will be fine. It's not about limits, you don't have to be a "high spot" wrestler, and it's in fact better to be well rounded and able to work every style like Daniels can. Plus he has lots of charisma and can cut excellent promos. You used Red as your "prototypical" X champion, but I don't agree, as Red can only do big spots, can not hold a match together in terms of telling a story, has no personality and can't cur promos. It brings the X division down to WWE Crusierweight levels (with flashier moves). Daniels upgrades the belt and in many ways outclasses the NWA champion...

Guest dvkorn

That feud was money.

I must have imagined those numerous weeks when Daniels got the upperhand on Jarrett and left him laying...

Guest Deviant

Daniels can succeed as the X-Division champion. Daniels can succeed at carrying TNA. Daniels can succeed at being the highlight of every damn PPV. Daniels can succeed at being the best wrestler in TNA. Daniels can succeed at world domination.

That is all.

So how come the WWE has never signed Daniels? I remember hearing once he did some dark matches but they thought his gimmick was too controversial(sp?)? So if I may ask, what exactly is the fallen angle gimmick, other than dressed like a preacher?

From what I gather, he thinks himself to be a profit of Satan...

Anyway, I remember hearing so much hype about Daniels a few years back and when him and Mike Mondo (I think) as the 2 top Indy vets were going to be given a tryout match on Nitro I remember the net was buzzing, and then I saw the match (Daniels with hair looking a little like Chavo Guerrero Jr.) and they blew some spots (I still have a vision of Daniels slipping off the ropes and nearly falling on his head on something or other) and it was thourougly underwhelming. I felt so bad because I knew they were better that was their chance to earn jobs in WCW. Then they were signed for real by WCW when they went through all the awesome cruiser and indy talent for the undercard and of course the company shuts down a couple months later dumping them all back on the indys...

Previous to being brought back for the Modest match he was supposed to come in to work an angle with Vampiro, but that fell through. And he DID land on his head during the match. Got a stinger from it, as I recall.

Anyway, Daniels was once under a WWF developmental contract and worked regularly for UPW and APW, both of which were WWF feeder feds, so it's not as if they didn't have their eye on him. He even made a couple appearances, albeit under a mask, as one of the Conquistadors when E&C were feuding with the Hardys.

Right, I guess the real answer to his question is WWE has not signed Daniels because he is not 4 or 5 inches taller and roided up beyond belief. Oh and he knows wrestling moves and how not to hurt people. Can't have that.

I think if TNA died today he still wouldn't get signed. isn't he like 35+. I don't know his actual age.

Daniels as champion is the best thing going for TNA. He really was held down in that tag team for a long time, but now that he's getting a chance to shine he is totally outclassing the NEW heavyweight champion. I am very worried that they will bury him because of this.

it hasn't even been a week yet. NO WAY is daniels outclassing Jarrett.

It wouldn't take much to outclass such a poor champion. He is far more over with the crowd already, his squashes are more entertaining, and he will clearly have better matches. I think in 2-3 months, if they keep the title on Daniels, it will be clear that he is the star of the promotion.

Kind of like how the X-Division was the highlight of TNA for it's entire first year of existance, including constantly getting the main event matches while Jeff Jarrett was wrestling in opening matches and stuff.

You might want to go back and check the main events for the first year of TNA. Jarrett was in them just as much as the X Division guys were. Not to mention the time he made Triple X his personal bitches in that gauntlet series.

I agree Daniels will have better matches and more entertaining matches(matter of opinion). But in NO WAY is he more over than jeff jarrett.

Wrestlers more over than daniels:

Jeff Jarrett

DDP

Monty Brown

AJ Styles

Jeff Hardy

Kevin Nash

AMW

maybe even more....

in a smark's eyes daniels is crazy over. but in all reality thats not the case. Ya he gets the "fallen angel" chant every once in a while but other wrestlers get longer and louder reactions than daniels ever has since the move to florida.

If Daniels holds the X Division title as long as Jarrett has held his vanity belt, I doubt TNA fans will be chanting, "Drop the belt" at him.

And did you even see the Daniels/Skipper v AMW cage match ? Daniels was getting monster pops in that. Bigger ones that just about everyone else you mentioned. His matches will definitely be more entertaining that Jarrett's, because Jarrett's all have the exact same overbooked finish, which gets boring real fast.

If Daniels holds the X Division title as long as Jarrett has held his vanity belt, I doubt TNA fans will be chanting, "Drop the belt" at him.

I bet they would. I would.

And i did see that match. I ordered that PPV. and it wasn't Daniels alone getting the reactions. Sure it was when he dropped the elbow. But the crowd was poping for everyone in that match not JUST daniels.

I bet they would.

Unlikely, because at least Daniels matches would be fresh and innovative, and wouldn't see the exact same finishing sequence each and every time.

Or do you actually like repetitive, overbooked finishes in your main events ?

You people call ME a TNA mark?!

Daniels is quite over with the Orlando crowd. He gets sizeable "Fallen Angel" chants (and he's a heel) during his matches and of course the net crowd (who orders the PPV) love him too. There's no disputing the "go away" heat Jarrett gets from both live and PPV fans. Even, I, a long time Jarrett fan am sick of him in the main events and think he needs to drop the title...