TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Fact or a myth?

I thought it would be cool to start a thread devoted to all the common wrestling rumors, myths, stories, etc that we hear all the time and a place to clarify on this board once and for all whether or not they are true. For example:

Wrestlemania 8: A common statement you'll hear is that Sid knew he was getting fired and kicked out of the leg drop of doom and no sold for Hogan to end the show. But I'm 99% sure the real answer is that Papa Shango was late getting to the ring...right?

Wrestlemania 10: useless moron Scott Keith started rumors that the original plan was to do Ludvig Borga vs. Lex Luger in the main event, but Meltzer debunked those quickly. Meltzer also said that the whole thing with the main event getting changed the day of the show because of a newspaper article and Luger's big mouth is a myth as well, and that things went down completely as planned.

Mind Games: Some say that the finish was changed and that if you look closely, you can see McMahon tell the ref of the change to a DQ finish. Meltzer responded to me on this one and said things went completely as planned, and that this is just a myth.

IYH1: Another one we have from Keith is that the original plan for IYH#1 was a rematch from WM between Diesel and HBK. This was debunked by Meltzer as well.

Final Four: Again, useless moron Scott Keith fucks up. He says in his rant that Steve Austin was originally booked to win the title, but it was switched mid match when Austin got hurt. Meltzer has called this bullshit.

Now some rumors I want once and for all, complete clarification on:

-Dibiase was supposed to win the WWF title at WM4, but it was switched to Savage when HTM wouldn't job the IC title to Savage. Fact or bullshit?

-Hogan's black eye at WM9 was from a Randy Savage punch. Fact or bullshit?

Feel free to add any of your own. And feel free to discuss any of the above mentioned incidents/rumors.

Guest jm29195
Mind Games: Some say that the finish was changed and that if you look closely, you can see McMahon tell the ref of the change to a DQ finish. Meltzer responded to me on this one and said things went completely as planned, and that this is just a myth.

Foley said in his first book that he was supposed to win the title at Mind Games but the finish was changed on the fly, I'd be more inclined to believe him than Meltzer....

Foley said in his first book that he was supposed to win the title at Mind Games but the finish was changed on the fly, I'd be more inclined to believe him than Meltzer....

I don't remember him saying that in the book...

Guest jm29195

My bad, you're right, I don't know where I got that from!

My bad, you're right, I don't know where I got that from!

Probably useless moron Scott Keith. :P

What exactly happened to Shawn Michaels in Syracuse in September '95?

I've heard quite a few different and conflicting accounts on that one.

The story as I understand it is that HBK, X-Pac and Bulldog were in a bar, and HBK pretty shamelessly hit on the girlfriend of a Marine, who didn't like it. And something like 10 marines beat up the 3 wrestlers.

The story as I understand it is that HBK, X-Pac and Bulldog were in a bar, and HBK pretty shamelessly hit on the girlfriend of a Marine, who didn't like it. And something like 10 marines beat up the 3 wrestlers.

The story I've heard is that it was embellished by the WWF to be that many guys, so as to make HBK look tougher.

DiBiase was indeed meant to get the WWF Title at WM IV, but Savage got it instead when HTM refused to drop the IC belt to him.

I still don't see a heel winning a big tournament at Wrestlemania...heels NEVER won to end PPVs at this time period.

So was the plan Dibiase vs. Hogan for WM5 then?

Guest LooneyTune
Another thing from useless moron useless moron Scott Keith:

Was Mr. Perfect really supposed to win the 1990 Royal Rumble? (might be 1991)

I've never heard anything either way about this except from You-Know-Who, so I'll abort the "useless moron" comment. (Damn me and my big mouth for starting that)

Myth or Fact? The Ultimate Warrior was supposed to turn heel at Summerslam 1992 and reveal he paid off Ric Flair and Curt Hennig to help him.

Guest Coffey

How can you "clarify once and for all" if something is true by reading more specualtion?

DiBiase was indeed meant to get the WWF Title at WM IV, but Savage got it instead when HTM refused to drop the IC belt to him.

I still don't see a heel winning a big tournament at Wrestlemania...heels NEVER won to end PPVs at this time period.

So was the plan Dibiase vs. Hogan for WM5 then?

Both DiBiase, HTM, and others have confirmed that DiBiase was going to win the title.

I would surmise that DiBiase v Hogan was planned for WM V, and that the Hogan v DiBiase storyline would have revolved around Hogan regaining the WWF title from a greedy champion, who would have likely cheated his way through a year long reign.

Guest Sturgis

Supposedly Shawn was the only one beat up. While a couple(maybe more) beat the shit out of him the rest held them back.

That's how the story goes altough it doesn't make sense. Bulldog is legit strong and probably take out 3 guys no problem and Waltman knows some form of matial arts HOW THE FUCK can't they handle around 8 marienes and attempt to save their friend?

As for WM4. I call bullshit. While it does make some sense there's no way a heel was gonna walk out of WrestleMania as World Champion in 88'. Plus I doubt Honkey strikes fear in the hearts of WWF management. I'm sure they could have just told Andre to "take of business".

As for WM4. I call bullshit. While it does make some sense there's no way a heel was gonna walk out of WrestleMania as World Champion in 88'. Plus I doubt Honkey strikes fear in the hearts of WWF management. I'm sure they could have just told Andre to "take of business".

As I said above, numerous people have confirmed the story that DiBiase was going to get the WWF Title. And Andre's toughness is more myth and legend than reality.

Guest LooneyTune

Everyone, their mother, their grandmother, and baby Jesus has confirmed Dibiase was supposed to win at WM IV.

Wrestlemania 8: A common statement you'll hear is that Sid knew he was getting fired and kicked out of the leg drop of doom and no sold for Hogan to end the show. But I'm 99% sure the real answer is that Papa Shango was late getting to the ring...right?

Shango was late. Sid was not booked to lose the match by pinfall. Hogan was going to win by DQ after a Papa run-in.

Wrestlemania 10: useless moron useless moron Scott Keith started rumors that the original plan was to do Ludvig Borga vs. Lex Luger in the main event, but Meltzer debunked those quickly. Meltzer also said that the whole thing with the main event getting changed the day of the show because of a newspaper article and Luger's big mouth is a myth as well, and that things went down completely as planned.

Borga was either going to face Earthquake or Diesel, depending on what you've read. Luger vs. Borga for the title was never booked, or Lex winning a title for that matter. The response Bret Hart got at the Royal Rumble cemented his title win at the PPV, since Vince had no faith in Luger carrying the company as champ.

Mankind was not booked to win the title since Vince was set on HBK/Sid after Vader fell out of favor with the company. It was a match that was poorly executed with it's finish with a miscommunication on Vince or JR's part on signaling the run-in to end the match on a DQ.

IYH1: Another one we have from Keith is that the original plan for IYH#1 was a rematch from WM between Diesel and HBK. This was debunked by Meltzer as well.

It was always going to be Diesel vs. Sid since Vince felt the marks would be more interested in a hoss vs. hoss match for the inagural IYH PPV kickoff.

Final Four: Again, useless moron useless moron Scott Keith fucks up. He says in his rant that Steve Austin was originally booked to win the title, but it was switched mid match when Austin got hurt. Meltzer has called this bullshit.

Austin was an unproven draw at this point. The winner was always going to be Bret Hart since the original plan for the ME at Wrestelmania 13 was a rematch between HBK/Hart where Bret would pick up his win after his loss at 12. That never happened though because of the unprofessionalism of HBK for losing his "smile" amongst other bs execuses.

Now some rumors I want once and for all, complete clarification on:

-Dibiase was supposed to win the WWF title at WM4, but it was switched to Savage when HTM wouldn't job the IC title to Savage. Fact or bullshit?

True. Ted was penciled in to win the title tournament and was probably going to work an angle with Donald Trump, the other rich guy in the arena that night. Instead, Vince had a Cuban Missle Crisis situation on his hands with Honky threatening to jump ship to the NWA/WCW company with the IC belt in his hands. Savage was too popular at the time to not be holding onto a title and Vince wanted to capatalize on that with something so Macho Man got the big win at the end.

-Hogan's black eye at WM9 was from a Randy Savage punch. Fact or bullshit?

False. Macho Man would have been black balled from wrestling, or anywhere Hogan was working, if he had taken a swing at Hogan and popped him in the face. It was an outdoors accident of some sort but no one knows for sure except Hogan.

Guest LooneyTune

If Savage actually did punch him (he didn't), he has one hell of a punch, because Hogans entire face looked fucked up.

What exactly happened to Shawn Michaels in Syracuse in September '95?

I've heard quite a few different and conflicting accounts on that one.

Dpending on who you ask, HBK got beat up by anywhere from 3 to a dozen army/navy/green beret guys after mouthing off in a bar to them. He was with Davey Boy Smith, Sean Waltman and someone else (Duke Droese is a name I've seen brought up) and the situation got bad, real bad. HBK was being used as the proverbial punching bag while the wrestlers were being distracted/held back by the military guys. Somehow, the wrestlers managed to escape the military guys and snatched HBK away from his attackers. They sped off in their car and never looked back.

Wrestlers are not going to beat up a dozen or so military guys, especially if they're trained to be Green Beret's as the would-be attackers were supposedly.

Guest LooneyTune

Real life isn't wrestling... good luck fighting off 2 regular people at a time, let alone anywhere from 3 to a 12 military trained men (I assume it's more in the higher region, since it's been reported Davey and Waltman were restrained).

Another thing from useless moron useless moron Scott Keith:

Yes.

Hogan called a clear audible signaling for the others remaining wrestlers to get lost and dumped over the ropes. The double ME was looking like Warrior/Rude and Hogan/Perfect for the title but that got changed at the end of the Rumble by Hogan.

The power Hogan wielded when he was on top dwarfs the power HHH holds today. Everything has to be approved by Vince today but back then that wasn't always the case.

Myth or Fact? The Ultimate Warrior was supposed to turn heel at Summerslam 1992 and reveal he paid off Ric Flair and Curt Hennig to help him.

Myth.

No one knew if the Warrior was going to be back for the next show after the last one ended. Vince was not foolish in booking out anything long-term for the Warrior after he was ready to ditch the company in late 1991.

Owen Hart was to win the IC title at Over The Edge

Keith has repeadtly said this and that he got it directly from the sheets (don't ask) but somehow I sincerly doubt "The Blue Blazer" was walking out of Over The Edge with the IC title. Blazer was still treated as a joke, the desent from the roof was supposed to end in Owen doing a Flair Flop on the turnbuckle. If Owen was booked to win the IC title I would think it would have been the next night or soon after "defending his good friend The Blue Blazer's" dignty or something

Steve

I think the Blazer rumor is true only because Godfather dropped the belt to Jarrett (Owen's partner at the time) like a week later.

Another thing from useless moron useless moron useless moron Scott Keith:

Yes.

Hogan called a clear audible signaling for the others remaining wrestlers to get lost and dumped over the ropes. The double ME was looking like Warrior/Rude and Hogan/Perfect for the title but that got changed at the end of the Rumble by Hogan.

The power Hogan wielded when he was on top dwarfs the power HHH holds today. Everything has to be approved by Vince today but back then that wasn't always the case.

Hogan called a clear audible signaling for the others remaining wrestlers to get lost and dumped over the ropes.  The double ME was looking like Warrior/Rude and Hogan/Perfect for the title but that got changed at the end of the Rumble by Hogan.

If you're talking about WM VI, the main event was always going to be Hogan v Warrior.

The power Hogan wielded when he was on top dwarfs the power HHH holds today.  Everything has to be approved by Vince today but back then that wasn't always the case.

I'd say it was more likely Hunter has more power than Hogan did have. Right now, Hunter is pretty much running the whole show, which is something Hogan didn't do, both because he didn't have the mind for it, and because he was busy with numerous side projects. And let's face it, being married to the daughter of the boss is the ultimate power position.

Guest LooneyTune

I've heard from the same kind of sources that Jarrett got the title after that since it was supposed to go to Owen, because they were pretty good friends at the time. I have no idea of the Blazer character was winning, or Owen himself.