TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Did anybody get a PSP?

The Sony PlayStation Portable was released at 12:01 A.M. today. Thousands of wealthy gamers and tech-heads rushed out to buy the system, with many more no doubt set to purchase it later today.

I have little doubt that I'll get the system in the future. Although I don't have much use for portable systems, I'm a game collector and I enjoy a good game no matter what the system. For that reason, I will pick up a PSP (and DS) someday.

However, there have already been a couple design problems reported as it pertains to the $250 machine. There have been problems with discs popping out unexpectedly and the square button "sticking" on the Japanese versions of the system, although those problems have supposedly been fixed for the U.S. release.

Now, though, there are hundreds of people reporting problems with dead pixels on the PSP's LCD screen, along with dust under the screen itself. I know Sony doesn't have the best track record when it comes to new hardware, but such things are inexcusable. In one poll, only 36% of respondents reported having no dead pixels. That's 64%, or nearly 2/3, that did have the problem.

Understand that I am not trying to bash the PSP. I want it to succeed. I'm simply reporting what's been said so far.

If any of you bought or played a PSP, let us know. For now, I shalt venture to GameFAQs for more related reading.

Dead pixels are a fact of life with color LCD displays. GBAs have them. Even expensive laptops and monitors have them, and even the buyer-friendly manufacturers like Dell or Apple won't take them back unless there's a certain number of dead pixels on one screen.

Sometimes it's not always a dead pixel, but a piece of dirt or dust from the manufacturing process. A dead pixel is probably better, since at least on the softer LCD screens you can massage it back into working again.

The button sticking thing didn't affect all PSPs and was just some flaw. I haven't seen any proof of claims about discs popping out except for one stupid animated GIF of some guy playing Ridge Racer when the game flies out. If you look, in the few frames right before the game flies out, you can see he's trying to contort the console by twisting one direction really hard away from him and the other really hard towards.

Too rich for my blood, though. I will get one down the line when I see a game I want to have but not a moment until then.

I don't think you can say the button thing was just some flaw as Sony admitted they knew about it but didn't want to change the layout so tough shit. Then they decided to fix it.

I keep reading about dead pixels. I read the following somewhere. A poll on the PSP forum seems to go about the same way:

37% of all PSPs at launch have dead pixels and/or dust under the screen.

Check these two threads out:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...scending&page=1

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.p...d698ca82e3c2cde

I will NEVER buy a Sony system until it's revised. Fool me twice, ask Nintendo how to make a system that's not as delicate as a Christmas Ornament.

Stupid Square making Crisis Core and most likely making me buy this system.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would buy a Sony system at launch after the PS2 disasters.

I saw a commercial and this is going to be like the Game Gear where it's broken the first time you drop it by the look of the system.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I never really heard about the PSX. I think it had to do with the fact that most people like me ignored the system until Final Fantasy VII was announced.

At the Target I work at this morning we had a big display thinking there was going to be an 8am rush like there was with Halo 2. But the time I left at 9:30 we'd sold 1.

I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'm not big on handhelds.

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would buy a Sony system at launch after the PS2 disasters.

I saw a commercial and this is going to be like the Game Gear where it's broken the first time you drop it by the look of the system.

Because OMG SONY ROXXORS DS STNS 4 "DEATH BY SONY" FOR NINCRAPDO!

As a previous owner of a Game Gear, I take offense to comparing it to Sony's shoddy hardware. I owned a GG for about 4 years and only got rid of it (sold it) because there were no more good games coming out for it.

The SOB went through batteries a hell of a lot though, so that's why I bought a battery pack for it.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm interested in one because I collect systems but it has to drop at least $100 for me to even begin to consider buying it.

The PSX didn't change appreciably, it worked, but eventually the CD drive fizzled, and if you dropped or jarred it even slightly, it could go tits up.

Hey Sony, didn't you make some of the first CD players? It's been at least 20 years. My $40 Cyberhome DVD player can get jared and bumped and fucked with and it works like a CHARM.

After NO abuse or jostling, my PS2 has to be cajoled and massaged into recognizing games (which of course it proceeds to play flawlessly). Sony spends a ridiclous amt of money making very good, economically viable computer components for the system, and can't afford a decent laser track and disk drive? Fuckers.

Hey Downhome, I didn't know you went to Cheap Ass Gamer. I registered at their forums in July, and I've been posting almost daily for the last month or so. Their Xbox Live leagues are great.

P.S.: That board is also where I get all my info on game sales and find deals from the weekly ads early, such as when I informed everyone of MLB 2K5 and MVP Baseball sales.

Edited by Matt Young

Hey Downhome, I didn't know you went to Cheap Ass Gamer. I registered at their forums in July, and I've been posting almost daily for the last month or so. Their Xbox Live leagues are great.

Yeah, I've been there for a while. I almost never post though, I mainly use the site for information on games and good deals. I read a lot of the threads though.

I'm glad I bought a DS and now have four (five counting the demo) for it. I'll wait on the PSP for about a year or so. More games that I want are coming out for the DS anyway. If I want to play most of the PSP games, I'll do so on the PS2.

I wouldn't top $100 for a portable system. It's bad enough the games will cost the same price as the big system, but $250 is insanity.

The price of the games is my main problem to. Should I buy a game for $50 that I can play on a five inch screen, or pay the same $50 for a game, more than likely a better game, that I can play on my normal TV?

If I gave $50 for a handheld game, it better be orgasmicly fantastic.

I don't like the launch price of it. It's a complete turnoff for me.

And the games being sold at 50? Not good Sony...not good.

Guest MikeSC

I worry about the PSP's prospects, considering that its lineup isn't that strong and it costs MORE than any console system.

Will people be willing to spend more on a handheld than they do on a console?

-=Mike

I don't think you can say the button thing was just some flaw as Sony admitted they knew about it but didn't want to change the layout so tough shit.  Then they decided to fix it.

No, it turned out there was a flaw. The chairman of SCE said something about how the PSP is a work of art and if there's a problem with it you don't change it because it's artwork or something like that.

And then, later on, they noticed that a small percentage of PSPs were in fact being flawed in the manufacturing process. It wasn't part of the design, it doesn't effect all PSPs. It was a small in a portion of the stock.

Regardless, I think all these posts about dead pixels and broken buttons and stuff are useless. If you look on the internet, it look like the PSP is a failed broken-down product because you don't actually hear the stories of the ones that work as advertised, just complaining from the people whose units broke.

By the way, my prediction is that DS will be the next Virtual Boy, and Nintendo will find themselves in the Last Place for handhelds like they are in consoles now.

It's not even so much the developer lineup for that guess but the system specs. People just want the old handheld design made more pretty. That's what the PSP, once it gets over it's launch jitters, provides. People don't want touchscreens and dual monitors and the gimmicky shit that Nintendo is trying to promote as innovation.

I really think senior management at Nintendo is going off the deep end if they think this gimmick system is a successor to Game Boy. Regardless, once someone finally makes a game for either of these I want to play, I'll look into getting one.

By the way, my prediction is that DS will be the next Virtual Boy,

That's already been proven fales by sales in the past, the sales that we still seen week after week, the games that are already out, the list of games coming out, the list of developers that are already on board, and on and on and on. People need to stop thinking the DS is dead in the water and well on it's way to being a Virtual Boy, because it simply isn't true. As a matter of fact, there are more third-party games scheduled for release for the DS than there are for the PSP.

Just look at the numbers, not only in North America, but in the UK and Japan as well. The DS isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Both the DS and the PSP will be insanely popular and will be around for a long time. They are different machines, they do different things, the games for both are different as well.

My prediction is that by the end of the year, both will be standing tall, and both will have fantastic games that we will be able to play, if we want.

I'm hoping the DS is a failure just because it's funny to see Nintendo becoming more and more irrelevant.

I'll buy a PSP when it has a good game.

I'm astounded at how many people rush to fellate and defend the PSP and in the same breath have a desire to see DS fail when frankly neither of them really have the edge on their game lineups in the foreseeable future, and both have their share of issues.

"It's not even so much the developer lineup for that guess but the system specs. People just want the old handheld design made more pretty. That's what the PSP, once it gets over it's launch jitters, provides. People don't want touchscreens and dual monitors and the gimmicky shit that Nintendo is trying to promote as innovation."

Nintendo encourages the use of them, but it's something developers can skip using if they really want to. Nothing is being sacrificed to provide the extra monitor/touchscreen.

Of course, you ignore that the PSP has gimmicky shit you don't need, and most of it isn't even related to actually playing the games.

Oh, and except for Spider-man 2, it seems all of the UMD movies are EXTREMELY shitty.

I'm rather amused that you're such an adamant defend of the PSP, JotW, yet seem to have zero interest in actually buying one. You saw the list of games I posted in the other thread, showing the releases in the works for both systems, right?

I'm hoping the DS is a failure just because it's funny to see Nintendo becoming more and more irrelevant.

I'll buy a PSP when it has a good game.

Yeah, but you're a shameless Sony fangirl so nobody cares.

It has Darkstalkers, Lumines, and it's getting some half-ass FFVII cash in, you know.

I will more than likely own a PSP on down the road, but not right now. The only game I'd even think about buying for it is Lumines, and that isn't worth buying the system for in my eyes. Add to that the fact that many reports have been released of dead pixels, dust under the screen, etc... and I think it's best to wait to see if Sony can get their act together. There is no excuse for so many to be fucked up. If someone gives $250+ for one, it damn well not even have ONE dead pixel.

I read earlier today that Sony has already received thousands and thosands of complaints about all of this.

How am I a sony fangirl? I own and play almost every system there is.

PSX and PS2 are just the best systems because they have the best Square teen angst FF games and fighting games. There's nothing biased about it.

If I was such a fangirl I'd be in line for PSP. Instead I'm apathetic.

I don't care much about a port of an old Darkstalkers game. Maybe if it was something new.

I don't care about Lumines at all.

A FF VII game would be good, but it isn't out yet.

That's already been proven fales by sales in the past

Yes, but where's the software? Everyone I know who has a DS just uses it to play their GBA games better than ever. It's like the PS2 launch in Japan where 90% of the owners were using it as a DVD player until games finally started appearing.

the games that are already out

Is bare. Fucking. Thin.

the list of games coming out,

Are not coming out anytime soon. And believe me, I'm as interested in Mario Kart and Katamari on the DS as anybody.