TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Did anybody get a PSP?

Thanks for the article, DH.

After reading through that, I'd have to say that if I suddenly woke up tomorrow morning craving a portable game system, I'd have to side with Nintendo and their DS. It just seems to have the edge to me in terms of system longevity

Guest Salacious Crumb

I agree. I could never imagine taking a PSP with me when I go traveling. I doubt it would survive one plane ride in my backpack.

Does anyone know how many movies will be released for the PSP aside from the first five they announced? Will they release them on a regular basis, or only a few a year?

A friend of mine got the PSP and it seemed pretty sweet. The price is high, but I still think it's pretty cool. My sister's had the DS for a few months now and I still haven't had the urge to play it or anything. I want the PSP more for the extra features it'll have (portable dvd, mp3 player, etc) , than the actual handheld gaming system it's designed to be.

Utah Jazz

I want the TE revision 1.0 version so I can play as Sub-Zero and Scorpion though.

A New Episode airs this Wednesday!

From the Press Release:

Kenny is the only one of his friends to get the newest, coolest portable gaming device and Cartman can’t deal with the injustice in an all new episode of “South Park,” entitled “Best Friends Forever” premiering Wednesday, March 30 at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.

The hottest, new portable gaming device is sold out in South Park. Kenny has one and Cartman doesn’t. Will they be able to stay “best friends forever?"

Source: SouthParkStudios.com

NBA JAM is good on any system. I still play the arcade version a lot.

I love that game.

Which team do you use?

I thought the GBC 2002 edition was kind of lame. I'd been spoiled by much more impressive looking GBC games as well, as the GBA, at the time.

Personally, on T.E. I liked using the Hornets. Bogues was quite the sneaky little midget--awesome at stealing and free-throws.

The hottest, new portable gaming device is sold out in South Park. Kenny has one and Cartman doesn’t.

My guess is that Kenny used that pyramid scheme thing to get one from online. Cartman wouldn't have the friends to do it. :P

I thought the GBC 2002 edition was kind of lame. I'd been spoiled by much more impressive looking GBC games as well, as the GBA, at the time.

Personally, on T.E. I liked using the Hornets. Bogues was quite the sneaky little midget--awesome at stealing and free-throws.

I never really played any NBA Jam games after the NBA Jam game that was released on N64.

I think it was NBA Jam 1999 or 2000 or some shit... I just know it had Keith Van Horn (from his days with the New Jersey Nets) on the cover.

I would always use the Bulls (my favorite team) on the old school games on SNES and Genesis, though. The old school NBA Jam games are still my favorite. Talking about this makes me want to break out my Genesis :P

Anyway, as for this topic...

At what point would you think they (Sony) would think about dropping the price of the PSP?

The price wont really be lowered, but I believe they'll offer the PSP without being in the package in the next few months. Maybe for $180-$200 for that, just the PSP/Charger/Battery.

I think it was NBA Jam 1999 or 2000 or some shit... I just know it had Keith Van Horn (from his days with the New Jersey Nets) on the cover.

N64 got 1999 and 2000. Most of the post-TE game were kinda "eh."

At what point would you think they (Sony) would think about dropping the price of the PSP

Nintendo's "new Game Boy" is supposed to launch near the end of the year. The Xenon is launching near the end of the year. The Christmas season is the most profitable time of the year for console sales. I'll take a wild guess and say the day after Thanksgiving or damn close to it.

I don't even consider the post TE games to be part of the series.

The real lineage is more like JAM, JAM TE, Hangtime, Maximum Hangtime, Showtime and Showtime Gold.

I'd like to see the PSP release something as kick ass bad as this!!!

http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/media.php?id=676

:)

I think the debate is over with that offering.

And in NBA Jam TE, I would always get either Philly because shawn bradly was the fucking man. I mean he could goal tend all freaking day, his dunk rating was at 9 and when on fire, he was always open from 3 because he was so big. Clarence Weatherspoon was just there to shove people around. On the first NBA jam....Air Dog muthafuckas.

I don't even consider the post TE games to be part of the series.

The real lineage is more like JAM, JAM TE, Hangtime, Maximum Hangtime, Showtime and Showtime Gold.

...and College Slam. :D Although that game's such a carbon-copy of TE it's hardly worth trying if you own TE.

I thought the DS was the successor to the GBA?

Nintendo specifically said it wasn't, although backwards-compatibility with GBA sends a mixed message.

The price wont really be lowered, but I believe they'll offer the PSP without being in the package in the next few months. Maybe for $180-$200 for that, just the PSP/Charger/Battery.

Also likely. Although the "value pack" is pretty much a load. You only need the memory stick, charger/battery, not the headphones and that other junk.

Last I checked I saw character classes, equipping/unequipping items, inventory, merchants, etc. The typical hallmarks of an RPG.

Sounds like (Untold Legends) occupies a murky area between an Adventure game (i.e. like Legend of Zelda, often called an "Action-RPG") and a regular console RPG.

Although I'd first heard it called that on another message board.

While I personally love Untold Legends, it's a typical dungeon hack (Gauntlet, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath). You're either into these games or you're not. Very fun multiplayer.

But does it have turn-based battles, multiple party members, more focus on plot than gameplay, spiky hair and angst?

I might be interested in a PSP if it was equiped to be backwards compatible with PS2 games. There is no way I'm buying two copies of Madden. I agree with the poster who recommended buying a laptop. They can be bought for well under $1,000 now.

NBA JAM is good on any system. I still play the arcade version a lot.

I love that game.

Which team do you use?

Free throws? those weren't introduced until NBA Showtime.

Anyanka- You forgot Hoopz, and what was Showtime Gold?

College Slam was made entirely by Acclaim. It shouldn't be part of the Midway lineage.

Showtime Gold was mostly just a roster update for arcade. Same with Maximum Hangtime.

I haven't played Hoopz. Does it even play like JAM? I thought it was an entirely new series.

College Slam was made entirely by Acclaim. It shouldn't be part of the Midway lineage.

Ah, okay. How's Arch Rivals fit in? A proto-Jam of sorts? I know Midway did the arcade version, although Acclaim handled the home version.

Speaking of Midway--apparently they've chosen their way to make up for EA locking up the NFL license:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139346

I wonder if it's going to play like the NFL Blitz games, as the name would suggest.

I think its funny that most stores still have tons of the systems.

Im surprised Sony didnt artificially release a low number of them here to create a shortage that probably would have caused them to sell better.

If stores can't move em in a couple months, I would anticipate price cuts.

Any DS owners--check this out:  http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3139258&did=1

I'm interested.  I love the Kirby games.

I'm buying a DS.

The video of that game is what pushed me over the edge to get one also. Well, that game and Pac-Pix.

I recently got Mr. Driller for the DS really cheap, but I just don't see the point in the game. is there something I'm possibly missing?

I think its funny that most stores still have tons of the systems.

Im surprised Sony didnt artificially release a low number of them here to create a shortage that probably would have caused them to sell better.

If stores can't move em in a couple months, I would anticipate price cuts.

I think the PSP is going to be a big seller. Not as much as it would be if they nixed the "value pack" and made the system itself just $200 or less, of course. However, if my area (Fayette county is the poorest county in the state of PA) is going nuts for it, I expect similar or better results around the country.