TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elbarto997

ECW Greatest Matches DVD Done Right?

OK, I searched for a topic like this, and got nothing. Please lock/move this if necessary.

The Rise & Fall of ECW did and did not live up to expectations. The main feature was kickass, but NOT ENOUGH MATCHES!!! Thankfully, we are now getting a second chance with the 2 Disc ECW Greatest Matches DVD. Here's what I think should be on there. Keep in mind that these are in no particular order.

The Dudley Boys & Mustafa vs Axl Rotten, Ballz Mahoney & New Jack, Cage Fulla Weapons match, Cyberslam '00: It's New Jack, but his Cage dive was memorable enough, and it actually hit! An absolute car wreck of a match, and a good match to get the Dudleyz's ECW careers over, along with several ECW feuds in this match.

New Jack vs The Baldies, November to Remember '99: I think this feud deserves some sort of mention somewhere, for their efforts to even through with this. And it features Jack's dive off a backboard. The video dept. could edit out the lengthy climb.

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka vs Tazz, Anarchy Rulz'99: Awesomenest match of the Tanaka/Awesome hands down. Plus it's Tazz's goodbye match, so Vince actually has a good reason to include it!!

Cactus Jack & Mikey Whipwreck vs Public Enemy, Date ??? I think it was around '95, The one where Enema takes the Titles. Match starts out as an entertaining shitkicking to Enema, culminating with Rocco Rock taking a hugeass bump off of the stage thru a stack of 2 Tables. Back in the ring, Grunge gets a Baseball Bat shot on Whipwreck to win the belts. Good match to get Cactus Jack's career over, and the tag team of Cactus & Mikey.

Terry Funk vs Sabu vs Shane Douglas, The Night The Line Was Crossed '94, The match that was very instrumental in breaking ECW away from the NWA. It would probably needed to be clipped down to 45 minutes or so, but still great.

Tommy Dreamer vs Raven, Three Way Dance '94, We gotta stick Dreamer/Raven on this DVD, and this match was the wildest match that these guys had. Arguably better than Wrestlepalooza.

Steve Austin vs Mikey Whipwreck vs Sandman, Date ???, C'mon, this DVD needs some Austin! And the match is good to get Whipwreck's early ECW character over.

Ballz Mahoney vs Masato Tanaka, ECW on TNN June '00: These guys had a wincing feud in ECW. Bell to bell, this match was a brutal shitkicking on both guys. Viscious Chairshots, some alright wrestling in between, all culminating with Masato Tanaka Tornado DDT'ing Balls thru a Thumbtack-covered Table. The match was even better than their Hardcore Heaven '00 encounter, and that's saying a LOT!

The Barely Legal Six Man Tag: An awesome showcase of styles in this match, including the TAKA Michinoku that we once knew.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero, One of their encounters: I'd put this on here, because I've heard some good things about this technical feud, and because people want Dean/Eddie on an ECW DVD like people wanted Hell In A Cell on a Foley DVD.

Tajiri & Mikey Whipwreck vs Kid Kash & Super Crazzy, ECW Massacre on 34th St.: ECW's last great spotfest, and maybe their last great Tag match. Bell to bell a WILD spotfest. It brought down the Hammerstein Ballroom, and Tajiri/Crazzy definitely deserve a place on this DVD.

Justin Credible vs Steve Corino vs Sandman, TLCC Match, Guilty As Charged '01: ECW's last wild brawlfest.

Rhyno vs Sandman, Same show, Well it's short, and should be put on here for historical purposes.

Extreme Moments Montage:

-Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA Championship.

-The Eliminators breaking Joel Gertner's neck.

-Clips of Tommy Dreamer vs Jerry Lawler from Hardcore Heaven '97.

-RVD officially losing the title to Rhyno at Anarchy Rulz '00.

That's all I got. What do you think should be on the ECW DVD?

Some personal favs

Corino vs Tajiri, Hardcore Heaven 00

Whipwreck vs Candido, November to Remember 96

Sabu vs Van Dam, Hostile City Showdown 96

Credible vs Douglas, Cyberslam 99

Mahoney and Tanaka always had good matches together. Same with Tanaka and Awesome.

Beh, can't think now. I've made too many ECW lists and my mind is warped from it.

When it comes to New Jack, I'd rather see a couple minutes worth of highlights. Not entire matches.

Unless the DVD came with great extras I'd pass. I have all of the vids ECW released and a ton of fancams.

Taz vs. Mike Awesome, Taz wins the title again.

Taz vs. Tommy Dreamer, Dreamer wins the title.

I never got to see these matches in their entirety

The Tazz Awesome match is like 2 minutes long.

Taz comes to the ring, trades punches with Awesome, spill to the outside, Taz punches, Awesome rolls Taz into the ring, Dreamer comes in and hits Awesome with the DDT, Taz chokes out Awesome

I'd love to see the Taz/Dreamer match for the title, just because it would be nice to see how Tommy won the gold. Short or long, love to see it.

But this needs more Scorpio. Lots more Scorpio.

The Tazz Awesome match is like 2 minutes long.

Taz comes to the ring, trades punches with Awesome, spill to the outside, Taz punches, Awesome rolls Taz into the ring, Dreamer comes in and hits Awesome with the DDT, Taz chokes out Awesome

They basically showed it in the Rise and Fall DVD.

Awesome entered through the crowd. There was a lockerroom brawl just before and everyone had cleared to the back. Tazz's WWF music hit, walked out to the ring, then they had their match. Awesome left through the crowd as well.

RVD vs Sabu: We have enough Sabu/RVD matches on RVD's DVD.

Corino vs Tajiri: Agreed. MAN could Corino blade!

Tazz vs Tajiri: Nah, Tajiri's done better.

Credible vs Candido: Kinda agree.

Tazz vs Mike Awesome: 75% of the stuff is touched & shown on the R&F DVD. *Buzz*

Tommy Dreamer vs Tazz: The match wasn't much, and if we gotta show this, then we'd have to show the following match, where Justin Credible takes the Title from Dreamer. *buzz*

Sorry for the double post, but upon further research, the Dreamer/Raven Cage match wasn't even a match. I say we replace that with Dreamer/Raven from Three Way Dance '94, and stick the Chairshot Heard 'Round the World segment in the Extreme Moments montage.

The whole friggin thing is on the Rise & Fall of ECW DVD. Jeez.

And just as trivia, WCW head of security Doug Dilenger was with Mike Awesome at that ECW Show.

One thing I wish they'd do for this: get the rights to the actual songs from ECW insted of the cheap stock music.

I know they can use the stuff from Harry Slash and the Slashstones now...

Oh, and for matches...well, how about Luna/Richards?

We don't, because they didn't show the best ones.

If they're doing a ECW Greatest Matches DVD, the RVD vs Sabu draw from Hardcore TV that took up the whole show needs to be on there.

So does Jerry Lynn/RVD from TNN, the one where Jerry has taped up ribs.

Definitely needs one Tajiri/Super Crazy match.

Guest stylz

Will WWE be able to have New Jack matches with Natural Born Killaz playing throughout on DVD?

J

Luna/Richards- I really don't want to see a match with Richards made out to look like a bitch.

Tajiri/Crazzy- I liked their ECW on TNN stuff better. I'm just more familiar with it.

Nova vs Chris Chetti- It depresses me to see Nova in a match where he was once a capable mid-card star. *Buzz*

We don't, because they didn't show the best ones.

If they're doing a ECW Greatest Matches DVD, the RVD vs Sabu draw from Hardcore TV that took up the whole show needs to be on there.

Name on RVD/Sabu that was even close to good. I;ve seen about 10 of their matches and the highlight was the half hour draw they did on PPV and the only reason I mention that is because Subu pukes half way through the match.

So does Jerry Lynn/RVD from TNN, the one where Jerry has taped up ribs.

Three of their matches are already on DVD and they don't hold up well at all, especially if you watch RVD/Jericho from KotR right after.

I'd go for some Tajiri/Super Crazy spotfests and maybe throw in the Tajiri/Psychosis match that's on one of the ECW produced DVDs.

The problem with ECW is that they never really put on great matches outside of the 95 runs of Benoit, Malenko, and Eddy. Most of the stuff they did was garbage brawls or spotfests that the mutants would eat up with a spoon and claim to be the greatest match ever because Paul Heymen made Joey Styles tell them that. They almost never had a straight match that didn't have a ton of gimmicks or interferance because they didn't have the guys who could do it. Look at how many of the ECW guys were exposed as being crappy workers after they went to WWF. ECW matches were almost all smoke and mirrors and Heymen was very good at hiding weaknesses.

To me ECW was always about the promos, that's the main reason I watched the promotion after the novelty of blood and guts wore off. They had guys who were very good talkers (Taz, Douglas, Raven, New Jack, etc...) but unfortunately they couldn't really back it up in the ring.

Although Taz did some of the best squash matches ever and some of those should be included.

Not really. I suppose you and I have a different interpretation of what "good" is. Neither RVD nor Sabu are anything close to good workers. Sabu is all about sloppy high flying spots with a half assed camel clutch mixed in. RVD is all kicks and flying stuff. Neither has any idea of psychology and neither of them sell through out the match.

The Harcore Heaven match was a typical sloppy Sabu/RVD match that totally exposed both men. If you are going to have a match in a broken ring, you should adjust the match to suit it. They didn't, they just went out and had the same match they would have done in ideal conditions in the broken ring causing all type of goofy spots and Sabu falling off the top rope. I think Sabu worked the leg a little before slapping on a camel clutch (make sense, right?). The reason they went out and did the match that way of because neither guy is capable of actually wrestling. A series of choreographed spots that don't go anywhere followed by a bunch of retards clapping, may be cool looking but it is not wrestling.

Name me one RVD/Sabu match that is good. Name one that has any semblance of pschology or selling. Sabu breaking his jaw, taping it up, and showing pain from that is not selling.