TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

Early Album of the Year Candidates?

I know I drone on and on about the Residents, but Animal Lover is marvellous. The opening track, 'On The Way to Oklahoma' doesn't promise anything we haven't heard from them before, but the central trio of 'Dead Men' 'Inner Space' and 'My Window' in particular showcase hitherto unexplored ballad territory. I just think it's impressive that a band can still be experimenting (and doing it well) after 30+ years. For non-fans I'd still say 2002's Demons Dance alone is their most accessible and Duck Stab is the best, but this is a good showing.

I just think it's impressive that a band can still be experimenting (and doing it well) after 30+ years.

I bet it hasn't been the same guys all this time.

M.I.A.'s Arular is pretty wonderful, but I haven't heard anything that's really levelled me in these first three months. Certainly not the Mars Volta album, I'll say that much.

It's definitely not that either. The two songs I've heard off the other new album were pretty catchy, though. Conor Oberst seems to have toned down the whine a bit.

Digital Ashes In A Digital Urn is no good, but I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is actually an enjoyable little album. It's almost alt country in its own self pitying drunken way.

Anyways, the best album I've heard from this year is Superwolf by Bonnie "Prince" Billie and Matt Sweeney, I guess. Although it's not that great.

It's only been out two weeks, but I've already developed an unhealthy love for Idlewild's "Warnings/Promises", which is fantastic. Any fears about a new "mature" direction I once held have been eradicated, as they've just developed into better songwriters, without totally reinventing themselves for a middle-aged market as their peers (hello Feeder, Snow Patrol) have in recent years. It got kind of overlooked upon release, as the UK media seemed far more concerned with the Kaiser Chiefs album, but I think love of "W/P" will increase as the year progresses.

I also forgot about Bloc Party's Silent Alarm which, upon continued listening, is also really good. Still not something I'd call album of the year, but that and M.I.A. are my definite favorites thus far.

For me so far, it's M.I.A., as well as the X-Ecutioners/Mike Patton collaberation. Oh, and Current 93 finally has a new album coming out this year, so that's a major plus (well, for me at least)

Nothing this year has blown me away. I haven't heard this new Residents album, however. I'm also lighting a candle for the new Will Smith album.

^Me too, except the crying part.

You know, Rolling Stone would have all of us believe that Conor Oberst is the next Dylan. I've heard some of his stuff and I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Anyone??

Guest JebusNassedar

"Frances The Mute," although the sentiment on the new QOTSA is echoed. We'll just have to see once May 24th rolls around if it holds up.

(for datememorization impaired, the new Nile CD hits May 24th. Three days before my birthday, no less.)

i recently read the allmusic.com review of 'i'm wide awake'/'digital ash'. they tore him a new asshole, completely berating him as a posing untalented pissant who lacks any basic ability to craft a song. the fact that he got such a review from such a normally neutered, overrating source makes it funnier.

also from the review i found out that bob dylan was my age when he released 'bringing it all back home'. this severely depresses me.

pitchfork, deep down, stays pretty close to the indie party line. they will never ever write a less-than-deifying review of any radiohead album. about as bad as rolling stone, just with different people.