TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

Early Album of the Year Candidates?

My comment was made under the assumption that Pfork would hate Bright Eyes, but, wouldn't ya know, Lifted got a positive review a few years back.

Still, ballsy move on allmusic's behalf. I don't recall another time where they went against the grain on a fairly high profile release.

Nah. Pitchfork goes for indie stuff, but pretty much hates anything proggy or that virulently, actively pretentious. The first Mars Volta album pulled a similarly low rating, around a 4.0 if memory serves me properly.

Dear Leader - "All I ever wanted was tonight"

or maybe...

Interpol - "Antics"

"Antics" was released last year.

As for my pick, it has to be "Warnings/Promises" by Idlewild. I had heard that it was a good album but it really surprised me with just how good it is. They seem to have really grown musically as a band and as songwriters.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I still can't believe I bought the first Mars Volta cd. People even warned me not to.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That album did not hold up to a couple second chances.

some of my favorite parts of the reivew:

He's leapfrogged over Chris Carrabba in Dashboard Confessional to be the figurehead for how certain strands of modern rock is judged solely on whether it's a personal emotional expression or not, never taking into account such niceties as craft, in either music or lyrics, or in the sheer impact of the music.

Far from being the second coming of Dylan, Oberst is as precious as Paul Simon, but without any sense of rhyme or meter or gift for imagery, puking out lines filled with cheap metaphors and clumsy words that don't scan.

When Oberst was swallowed in the deliberate grandeur of Lifted, his drama queen theatrics fit the music, but here, they expose him for the shallow poseur he is. As the record winds down, it's clear that Bright Eyes is little more than a pretty boy in a sweater who's idea of being clever is appropriating Beethoven's Ode to Joy for "Road to Joy" — a move that makes you grateful that Billy Joel at least knew enough Beethoven to steal a lesser-known melody for "This Night" (and, being the stand-up guy that he is, Billy gave him a co-writing credit, something Conor doesn't do here).

Not that rip-offs are necessarily a bad thing — it's at the heart of pop music — but since Oberst lacks the most basic musical skill, which is to know how to make music sound good on a sheer sonic level, Digital Ash collapses in a mess of preening pretension. And don't chalk up its weakness to youth, either, or suggest that he'll get better with age. Paul McCartney was 22 at the height of Beatlemania. At the age of 23, Dylan made Bringing It All Back Home, Neil Young released Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and Jackson Browne cut his debut. Kurt Cobain was 24 when Nirvana recorded Nevermind, the same age Conor Oberst was when he released the pair of albums that prove without a shadow of a doubt that instead of reaching musical maturity, he's wallowing in a perpetual adolescence.

Digital Ashes In A Digital Urn is no good, but I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is actually an enjoyable little album. It's almost alt country in its own self pitying drunken way.

I'd agree with that.

Wide Akake has definately been overhyped/overated etc but the allmusic review is ridiculous and as silly as any of the reviews hailing him as the second coming. The way some people are going from one extreme to the other over a good but not spectacular album is daft.

Trivium- Ember of Inferno. One of the best metal albums I've heard in a long time. Absolutely incredible. I have been listening to it for about a week straight now.

Tool is suppose to release an album this year I think.

By that case, Tool will put out the best album this year, since there has been no stellar albums.

hey mxyamatosis is Radiohead gonna have their new album out this year? You know now that I actually like them and think they're geniuses

They've been in the studio for about five weeks. The guitarist, Ed O'Brien, said there is a possibility they will do a "fan-club" tour, much like they did in 2001-02, just to try out the new material. They recently played the Ether festival and debuted a new track, Arpeggi. It's very bjork-ish, but it's in its infancy stage.

I honestly think we will be seeing a new album by November, early December.

My favorites of the new year so far:

Beck - Guero

Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

M.I.A. - Arular

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

MF Doom - Live From Planet X

Might have missed an album or two, but those are the ones that jump out

Guest Hybrid420

My favorite album of this year would have to be "Frances the Mute". I liked Trail of the Dead's new stuff and I've been meaning to check out the new Queens of the Strone Age stuff.

Green Day - Americna Idiot

That was released in September of 2004.

And was still not the best album of that year, either.

By that case, Tool will put out the best album this year, since there has been no stellar albums.

Tool will put out the best album of the year (if they are putting out a new album) simply because they're Tool.

And runner up will be NIN, simply because it's NIN.

Guest INXS
Green Day - Americna Idiot

That was released in September of 2004.

And was still not the best album of that year, either.

Tool will put out the best album of the year (if they are putting out a new album) simply because they're Tool.

And runner up will be NIN, simply because it's NIN.

It's a personal selection so to me it is!

Tool and NIN ..heh

Maynard James Keenan has "found Jesus" and has left the project for now, if not entirely.

I dunno if the new TOOL will still be coming, and if it is, without MJK, I don't know that I really want it.

Maynard James Keenan has "found Jesus" and has left the project for now, if not entirely.

I dunno if the new TOOL will still be coming, and if it is, without MJK, I don't know that I really want it.

That's gotta be a publicity stunt or something, the guy has made tons of money hating Jesus for years that it doesn't make sense for him to do a complete 180.

Frankly, MJK is the worst part about Tool.

And it was indeed an April Fool's Joke.