TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

Early Album of the Year Candidates?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I really liked Tool a lot when I was younger. The more King Crimson and Neurosis I listen to, though, the less I feel Tool is necessary to listen to. I find myself listening to Undertow when I'm driving home from someplace. Lateralus is still their best album, though.

Adrian Belew does Maynard better than Maynard.

The more King Crimson and Neurosis I listen to, though, the less I feel Tool is necessary to listen to.

I know you've done this before, but I can't find it. Tip me to some Neurosis I'll possibly like, keeping in mind that I very much like Tool but am also a little wimpy munchkin when it comes to metal.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Through Silver In Blood is their best, probably, though I have days where Souls at Zero is my favorite album ever.

I've probably misled you with the Tool comparison. Neurosis does a great deal of long, very dense, progressiveIguess sort of songs. They're not eating blood and guts heavy at all, but are heavier and more involved than Tool.

The best way I can describe them is like some large rotating object with a hook or two protruding out of it, and if you catch one, you just spin around in space. Don't even attempt to listen to either of those albums in daytime, unless you're dying under a desert sun.

The Eye of Every Storm is their attempt to get some of todays headbangers to think. More metally, harder to get into unless you're already on that side of the fence. Their very early stuff has some balls, too.

Final verdict is probably get TSIB and choose your own adventure.

I do hope NIN's new album is a contender, I love The Fragile and Downward Spiral.

Tool's doing an album this year? It's about time. Another band that I've loved for so long that it's become old.

The local college radio station was playing a song off of the new Mars Volta album. It was in spanish. It was 11 minutes long. They said it was the best song off of the album (note: it may well be some other album I dunno) but if it IS this one, then that album isn't all that. 2005 would have to be a very sad year.

I really liked Tool a lot when I was younger. The more King Crimson and Neurosis I listen to, though, the less I feel Tool is necessary to listen to.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Which is strange, since I enjoy Tool more than Neurosis overall. I only really enjoy two Neurosis albums, but they're basically just Tool but better and more badass. And without Maynard.

TSIB really is awesome though, Edwin. You should pick it up. Now.

Guest DeadBoy1

The albums I've heard this year that really impressed me so far are:

The Hold Steady - Separation Sunday

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

The Decemberists - Picaresque

Comeback Kid - Wake the Dead

The Red Chord - Clients

I'll go with...

The Decemberists - Picaresque (Can't wait to see them in May)

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

M.I.A. - Arular

Ghostface has a couple albums coming out this year (One with MF Doom), and I think Radiohead's album does come out this year. I've heard one of the new songs, and something about Greenwood conducing the London Symphony gives me hope.

Umm, think Kanye might have an album coming out this year. That'll be hit or miss, I guess.

Guest Quik

The new Queens album is fantastic. Josh Homme-dominated songwriting is much better than most Nick Oliveri-influenced songs. See self-titled album, and the best Goddamn songs off R were the Josh ones.

Guest Van Mundegaarde

Tentative top ten

1. The Decemberists- Picaresque

2. Of Montreal- The Sunlandic Twins

3. M. Ward- Transistor Radio

4. LCD Soundsystem- LCD Soundsystem

5. Spoon- Gimme Fiction

6. Bloc Party- Silent Alarm

7. Stars- Set Yourself on Fire

8. Iron & Wine- Woman King E.P.

9. Low- The Great Destroyer

10. Six Organs of Admittance- School of teh Flower

Arular is good, but not as good as it should've been. I also really like the new Caribou, Out Hud, and Antony and the Jonstons. Akron/Family is enjoyable but not overwhelmingly so.

The only exceptional hip hop release of yet belongs to Roots Manuva, though Sigel's album has it's moments.

M83 and Darft Punk are in the lead for year's biggest disappointments.