TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Four years ago tonight...

Maybe it's because of my age, but when I look back, 2001 seems alot more recent than 2000. The Alliance was just yesterday for me, but Jericho and Benoit constantly feuding for hte IC belt and E&C/Hardys/Dudleys as the tag division seems so long ago.

When I think about it, it got really bad for the WWE after WM 17. When TT said WCW getting purchased was the saddest moment, I came up with about a dozen moments after that were even sadder. If there is anything a wrestling company can learn from the WWE, it's how to survive financially even if you are burying yourself creatively and losing fans at a rapid pace. Shit, the fans who have stayed should be rewarded for staying, because I'm amazed that there are still people left.

The real tragedy with WCW in 2001 was that they didn't deserve to go. The cruiserweight division was getting so good, with the cruiserweight tag titles, bringing in new guys like Jason Jett, Kash, Air Raid, etc., Yang ripping off CIMA and Knoble channelling Benoit, and Sugar Shane Helms just owning everything. Unfortunately, the double shows hurt the feel of Nitro and Thunder and there wasn't a lot of personality given to them.

I think ECW dying was sadder, however. Unlike a lot of people, I thought ECW still was delivering in 2000. I miss ECW more today than I do WCW, and think they would have a lot more to offer current wrestling fans than WCW would have... even on a small level.

I think ECW dying was sadder, however. Unlike a lot of people, I thought ECW still was delivering in 2000. I miss ECW more today than I do WCW, and think they would have a lot more to offer current wrestling fans than WCW would have... even on a small level.

While ECW was probably putting on better matches in 2000 than they had in the 95-97 glory years, the storylines were non-existent. Heyman had hit a serious creative drought and his solution was to give every match 20 minutes and to blatantly kiss up to the smark crowd. For people who loved the 95-97 years, like myself, 2000 doesn't measure up, because the storylines were SO stale and uninspiring (at least compared to 95-97)

The real tragedy with WCW in 2001 was that they didn't deserve to go. The cruiserweight division was getting so good, with the cruiserweight tag titles, bringing in new guys like Jason Jett, Kash, Air Raid, etc., Yang ripping off CIMA and Knoble channelling Benoit, and Sugar Shane Helms just owning everything. Unfortunately, the double shows hurt the feel of Nitro and Thunder and there wasn't a lot of personality given to them.

It was little too late for WCW in 2001 because most of the viewers had already left. I NEVER tuned into Nitro or Thunder, so I wouldn't have known about how well the cruiserweights were doing.

I was a freshman in highschool. I remember we were on Spring Break, and it was a Friday. I used to frequent a aol chatroom called WrestleChat (which you could frequent by going to aol, typing in keywrod: wwf). We were talking, and talking, and talking about WCW going out of business and how Vince was considering buying it. Then, it cameon the website. On WWF.com it had the WWF and WCW logo and read "WWF purchases WCW".

What a day.

It's funny how I think the same way as some here. For some reason this feels longer than 4 years. I just popped in a tape from 2000 and I thought it was actually 2001 SummerSlam. 2001 was really disturbing as I watch some of those summer broadcasts and it's really unwatchable. You got wcw, ecw, and wwf all mixed together and I think Linda's "creative confusion" is a major understatement. Some may think things suck now, but the shows have much more logic to it along with realism. Watching those shows it is really no wonder fans turned off. Having things like Stephanie running ecw and Shane Mcmahon as the owner of wcw interfering in matches was STUPID. It's not entertaining or believable at all. It defied all wrestling logic. Then add in the Austin heel turn. The wwf mocks wcw's horrible ideas, but post Mania 17 really takes the cake when you consider the potential and talent at their hands. Things really did go south after SummerSlam 2000. They undercard did kind of suck with rushed matches between Kane/UT and other borefests. They were lucky Triple H, Angle, and The Rock were very hot.