TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

"Classic" albums you cannot enjoy

This thread is reserved for albums that are widely considered classics, so anyone mentioning something by Korn or their ilk will be ignored and very likely laughed at. With that in mind:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

I know a lot of people, particularly the music press, blow their load over Revolver, but I don't really enjoy it and think it's nothing special. Eleanor Rigby is a good song, but the rest of it does nothing for me. There are several Beatles albums I like better.

I know a lot of people, particularly the music press, blow their load over Revolver, but I don't really enjoy it and think it's nothing special. Eleanor Rigby is a good song, but the rest of it does nothing for me. There are several Beatles albums I like better.

This reminds me: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, save three-or-so songs, is a load of pretentious horseshit.

I find myself unable to get into a lot of classic artists. Dylan, Zeppelin... some more. But yeah, I don't take much stock in the very top tier of music. It's over-rated, almost as a matter of course. I like one Stones album (Goat's Head Soup), no Dylan, no Zeppelin, average amount of Beatles, no Who... Floyd is the exception, I like them.

I like Pet Sounds pretty much exactly as much as the rest of the Beach Boys. "Yeah, that's ok."

I can't get excited about London Calling either.

Kick Out the Jams might've been a good album had they recorded it in a studio. That way, they would've been more likely to cut out the spacey noodling that might've been interesting had I attended the concert where they recorded it, but it comes off as masturbatory and dull on record.

Amen.

Didn't VH1 vote it the best album ever, or something?

Television's Marquee Moon is good, but not as great as I'd been led to believe.

I think Revolver is laughably over-rated but it's still brilliant in places.

Sorry, but "The Wall" can eat my ass. Few good tracks on a double album doesn't make it a classic.

That was also what popped in my head when I read the thread title

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't like a single Rolling Stones record all the way through.

Come to think of it, I don't mind very early Rolling Stones or very early Beatles, either. I don't have any of those albums. It just never crosses my mind to get them. But if I did have them, I'd probably listen to them.

I think Revolver is over-rated to the same extent as the Beatles are. It's a good album... no Abbey Road, but it's a good album.

Also Kind Of Blue. I do like it very much, but I could name 20 Miles Davis albums I like better, and that includes the ones before he went crazy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What happened when he went crazy? Good crazy or Syd Barrett crazy?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, neat. What's a good example? I only own Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way; neither of which are my favorite record.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I almost bought that On the Corner instead of In a Silent Way, but I liked the look in his eye on the cover.

Did you enjoy In a Silent Way, at least? I know you have that one Jaco Patorius album, which shows you have an appreciation for that sort of thing. (I don't care much for Pastorius myself, which I think you and I discussed previously. He gets a little too close to contemporary jazz for my liking.)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

VU & Nico is a good example for me, too. "Femme Fatale" outright sucks.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Did you enjoy In a Silent Way, at least? I know you have that one Jaco Patorius album, which shows you have an appreciation for that sort of thing. (I don't care much for Pastorius myself, which I think you and I discussed previously. He gets a little too close to contemporary jazz for my liking.)

I don't mind it. I'm still a novice in the wide world of jazz, and am finding the noisier and "not-jazz"er to be more enjoyable like I do with most stuff. Pastorious I revere mainly because I play bass, and he uses types of phrasing and technique no one else does. That adult-contempo shit is mostly due to the people he surrounds himself with, and his caribbean thing, which is a common theme in that genre. Ocean breezes are relaxing and satisfying to old folks.

A Love Supreme goes over my head, mostly. I haven't progressed any further with Coltrane. Perfect example of good stuff I can't follow.

Oh, neat. What's a good example? I only own Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way; neither of which are my favorite record.

Listen to Incy, but you might like Bitches Brew as well... you could sort of call it the Kind of Blue of his crazy period. Worth having for historical value as well as being a fine album. On the Corner is the good stuff, though. Get that first and work from there.

A Love Supreme goes over my head, mostly. I haven't progressed any further with Coltrane. Perfect example of good stuff I can't follow.

God, man, get Ascension. From what you're saying, you're going to love it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Did you get Weasels Ripped My Flesh yet? There's blurting headachy free jazz all over that motherfucker.

I'm listening to Trout Mask Replica for the first time in months. As awesome as ever.

Speaking of that, I was inspired to start this thread by this book. I was skimming through it at Barnes & Noble; some of it seems interesting, but then too much of it—like the drubbing given to the aforementioned Beefheart album—is more the writer thinking himself a badass for daring not to like a canonized album. Shut the fuck up, dude.

PiL - Metal Box. John Lydon's supposed vocals did not improve, or explore any greater potential as I was led to believe, he just sounded like John Lydon fucking around over arrangements which deserve some praise but have aged terribly. Fuck it. Some say Heartattack and Vine is a milestone work for Tom Waits as well, and it's probably one of my least favourites of all his full lengths.

I didn't know that Waits record was such a milestone. Other than it being the closest thing he ever came to making a rock record, most people write it off as a tiny blip prior to his avant-transformation with Swordfishtrombones.