TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

"Classic" albums you cannot enjoy

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I love the Who's singles, but I'm not as hooked on their albums. Maybe in time.

You've got them figured out. Try if you must.

Simon & Garfunkel -Bridge Over Troubled Water: Two classic songs (The Boxer is the other of course) and a whole load of nothing. I remember fast-forwarding Cecilia and El Condor on my Mum's greatest hits cassette tape. The rest is slight and forgettable in the extreme with only Song for the Asking and The Only Living Boy in New York barely poking their heads above the ground.

REM - Document: I've always found Finest Worksong, Welcome To The Occupation, The One I Love etc as dull as ditchwater and the less said about Lightnin' Hopkins the better. I actually love It's The End Of The World (Mills and his backing harmony on the chorus), Disturbance At The Heron House and King Of Birds but there's way too many duffers for a classic. Especially from a band capable of making Murmur and Automatic.

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque: I like this album a lot but there's no way it's their best work. They pull out there best Big Star chops on stuff like December but I just don't find it quite all it's cracked up to be. They did make a perfect guitar pop album in the 90's but it was called Grand Prix. The band even thinks the same.

I can't listen to Grand Prix all the way through, so I guess that's Bandwagonesque off the shopping list. Seriously, it's ok, but I don't see how it contributes to music in any way at all.

While I put 'Nevermind the Bollocks' on my list, comparing it to Sum 41 and Good Charlotte is nonsensical. The lyrics on that album are still really pretty damn harsh, and it at least seems unaffected, whereas sum 41 and Good Charlotte are pretty much the definition of 'affected'.

I can't listen to Grand Prix all the way through, so I guess that's Bandwagonesque off the shopping list. Seriously, it's ok, but I don't see how it contributes to music in any way at all.

You're right, it doesn't. Nobody has ever called the Fanclub original or innovative unless they were taking the piss. What exactly is a classic album though? Does it need to be groundbreaking or what? I can't be arsed even thinking about the criteria let alone debating it with anybody so I settled for including what i'd call 'critically well-regarded albums'.

Guest croweater

It would have to be not only critically well regarded, but also considered popular (ie. well known and well liked) to be a "classic". Of course a lot of Albums are both of these, but I guess there's an X-factor in there aswell which makes it a classic.

I really just can't stand anything. Were I to compile a list of classic albums, it would contain only Supertramp's Breakfast In America. This is the only album in the long and uneventful history of recorded music that appeals to me.

While I put 'Nevermind the Bollocks' on my list, comparing it to Sum 41 and Good Charlotte is nonsensical. The lyrics on that album are still really pretty damn harsh, and it at least seems unaffected, whereas sum 41 and Good Charlotte are pretty much the definition of 'affected'.

You beat me to it but I very much agree. "Nevermind the Bollocks" obviously wasn't the first punk album nor is it the best. While they did borrow alot of elements from the likes of the Dead Boys, Dolls, Bowie, Faces..etc, they still put their own little spin on things and at the time they were fairly unique and stood out. When I think of unique bands that stand out from the pack, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte don't come to mind.

It's funny that in the initial post it said "Anyone mentioning Korn and that ilk will be trashed." Oddly in some circles Korn's 1st CD IS actually a classic, even though I think it's some of the worst garbage I've ever heard.

I also 2nd the notion of Mellow Gold being better than Odelay. Odelay has some flat out mediocre stuff on it, particularly after Where It's At (Sissyneck the exception here). Mellow Gold has a really solid 9 out of 12 solid tracks, with the only crap being Sweet Sunshine, Steal My Body Home, and maybe Blackhole, though I like that one sometimes. Mellow Gold is also the funniest CD I've ever heard, without being a comedy album or parody.

Guest Brian
It's funny that in the initial post it said "Anyone mentioning Korn and that ilk will be trashed." Oddly in some circles Korn's 1st CD IS actually a classic, even though I think it's some of the worst garbage I've ever heard.

My friend used to love it.

But he grew up.

I don't find Korn to be intolerable really, they're good for what they are.

When I grew up I realised that all current ska is utter shite. And I started to get tired of some of the 'classics' as well.