TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Videogames.com goes "insider"

I just noticed this in the last week or so, but Videogames.com went "insider" and now wants people to pay to read certian pieces of news & view mpg's on new games.

I mean, I know they have to make money, but isn't that was advertisers are for?

*ugh*

Guest Singular

First IGN now videogames.com

That shit is annoying as fuck.  especially at IGN where they don't even indicate which stories are "insider".  Fucking lame.  

Patience is a virtue.  If you wait for a few weeks the so called "insider" information becomes free.

Guest Flyboy
First IGN now videogames.com

That shit is annoying as fuck.  especially at IGN where they don't even indicate which stories are "insider".  Fucking lame.  

I couldn't said it better.  :)

Guest EQ

Gamespot = Videogames.com

Anyway... not all the stories on IGN become unlocked after a few days...

Also, if nobody clicks on the Ads, then the site doesn't make money.

Guest Karnage

Doesn't IGN have enough ads?

I go to IGN DVD. Click on Reviews. See an ad, proceed to IGN DVD Reviews. Click on the letter B, see an ad, proceed to IGN DVD Reviews B. Click on Batman The Animated Series DVD Review, see an ad, proceed to the review. And on top of that, theres ads floating around the page and about two-three regular banner ads.

Doesn't IGN have enough ads?

I go to IGN DVD. Click on Reviews. See an ad, proceed to IGN DVD Reviews. Click on the letter B, see an ad, proceed to IGN DVD Reviews B. Click on Batman The Animated Series DVD Review, see an ad, proceed to the review. And on top of that, theres ads floating around the page and about two-three regular banner ads.

And the problem with that is, after a while, you phase the ads out and you simply keep clicking to get where you want to go. It actually has the opposite effect and instead of clicking the ads, you do everything you can to avoid them.

That's why pop-ups and all these other ads are so bad, not only because there's so many of them in the first place, but because web masters don't realize they're doing more harm than good by driving traffic away from both their own site, but also the site and product of advertiser.

Back on topic, it really pains me with all these companies going subscription-service, and that now there aren't too many sites that offer plenty of gaming news these days, unless you find genre or console specific sites. I honestly don't know who in their right mind would pay for one of these site subscriptions. That's all I can really say about it.

Yeah it is a bummer about gamespot. I signed up for a month though to give it a try, its always been my fav gaming site.