TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fanofcoils

Tugboat vs Steamboat

Guest fanofcoils

Did Fred Ottman still have the Tugboat gimmick while Steamboat was in the WWF in 1991?

Guest Shadow

I'm thinking fanofcoils was marking out about the potential clash of two ship vessels.

I doubt they would've wrestled each other since they were both faces at the time (Tugboat became Typhoon basically immediately when he turned heel). Also, if you want to get real picky, Steamboat wasn't actually called "Ricky Steamboat" during that run with WWF. Idiotically, he was simply billed as "The Dragon."

LOL This is so random.

Tugboat was around for a little bit when Steamboat came in but he turned heel and became Typhoon in mid June.

No, the match didn't happen because Tugboat and Steamboat were both babyface.

But if you're asking if Fred Ottman fought Steamboat at all in the WWF ... the answer is still no.

Guest LooneyTune

I think Gorilla Monsoon slipped up once or twice and called him Ricky Steamboat. That probably cost him a few hundred bucks out of his payday.

I think Gorilla Monsoon slipped up once or twice and called him Ricky Steamboat. That probably cost him a few hundred bucks out of his payday.

I don't think anyone could tell Gorilla what he could and could not do.

Yeah, he called him Ricky Steamboat rather liberally in 1991. When even Monsoon won't play along w/ revisionist history and/or a goofy gimmick, you know it's a bad idea. He MAY have even referred to him as a former IC Champion once or twice, but I may be mistaken.

Guest LooneyTune

Calling him an up-and-coming youngster was annoying, though. Steamboat had been in wrestling for 15 years by then, and was already a former IC Champion. Of course, Gorilla called CARLOS COLON a youngster at the 1993 Rumble, so who knows what he's thinking.

That reminds me of JR calling Marty Jannetty a young man a few weeks ago.

They must have called him Ricky Steamboat in 1991 because that's when I started watching wrestling and I knew that was his name. I had no prior knowledge of his NWA work. I'm even thinking they announced him to the ring as Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat at SummerSlam 91 but I don't feel like verifying this at the moment.

Guest LooneyTune

I watched the match a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure he was just "The Dragon."

I myself have always been interested in seeing the Sandman vs. Rey Mysterio in a battle of the Spider-Man villains. And then Arachnaman could do a run-in and beat both of them up. $$$!