TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobobrazil1984

Battlestar Galactica

Anyone else been watching this show?

The first season, of only 13 episodes, just ended. This show is incredibly great, and beats the ever-loving shit out of the last two star trek shows (and of the campy 70s series).

btw, TIME magazine has it as one of the top six dramas on TV, along with Lost and The Shield (and some others that I dont watch)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1042437,00.html

So far I'd even have to put it above farscape and firefly, assuming the quality keeps up.

Season 2 starts in July.

edit: Season 3 just started on 10/06/06, and it's the best show on television, still.

Sweet Jesus is this show ever awesome!

I'm sick of people I know telling me they don't like it because its not just like the original, as if the original wasn't a steaming pile of crap (cheezy fun, I'll admit, but still crap).

This show is simply the best sci-fi show of the last ten years (Farscape and Firefly being behind, of course).

I've found the episodes boring. And no, I wasn't a fan of the original so I don't care what the hell they've changed.

I just don't find the God storylines and the Asian Robot bull to be worth a damn. And I've also determined I don't care about one of these characters living and dying which takes away from the overall enjoyment of the show.

It has interesting ideas but it's not clicking as well as it should for me. It's not horrible but I won't even call it the best show on Sci-Fi right now.

I want to like the show, since I like Sci-Fi and any show that has Callum Keith Renne with a messiah complex deserves my attention, but the problem is I don't like any of the characters. I sorta like the old, grey haired guy, EJO doesn't offend me, I regularly like Mary McDonald but not in this, the chick who plays Starbuck annoys the shit out of me, and the only character I'd say that I enjoy watching is the doctor but the thing with him and the blonde chick confuses me.

How could you not like Gaius??? He's like MVP++ of that show. The scene where Starbuck walked in on him while he was "with Six" was hilarious.

Adama is cool. Apollo is a bit of a douche, but I still enjoyed the blatant Trench Run ripoff ep. Starbuck is cute and I want to bang her. The stuff with the Asian robot on the planet is kinda blah. Some of the side characters are just kinda there (black chick, the assistant to the prez, the engineer, etc). But overall I really enjoy the show.

I tended to think Gaius was too over-the-top and fidgety for a while, but he's getting a nice push in the last few episodes which has mde him interesting... becoming the vice prez, banging starbuck, helping with the trench run plan, and of course starbuck walking in on him

I've watched bits and pieces of this show, off and on, since the season began. I don't watch it regularly, though, because of several reasons, in particular:

1.) Friday nights aren't a great night of the week to air original programming.

2.) I really don't like any of the Stargates, so I don't care about the lead-ins.

3.) I'd rather be watching Law & Order: Trial by Jury.

The show does look good, but it's gonna take a LOT for me to think it's better than Farscape. Farscape is a show that I absolutely love and adore, and this program, while good, doesn't evoke any of those same emotions.

Someone spoil the final episode for me, though.

Maybe comparisons to Farscape are unfair, since Farscape was on a lot longer and was good every single year. In 3 years, Battlestar Galactica might suck ass.

Having said that, the characters are pretty good, as Baltar is the perpetual scene stealer, and I'm really digging Col. Tigh as THE cranky son of a bitch. Number Six is like every blonde cunt who uses sex to get her way rolled into one. Adama's a total badass.

I'm not as impressed with the president, but I have to admit they won me over on the character during the mini-series when she made the decision to let the civilians in the non-FTL ships die. She can be cold-blooded when she needs to be.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Cylons being portrayed as religious fanatics, but there's definitely some potential there for hot-button allegorical fiction.

This really is the best sci-fi show currently on television (not that there's a lot of competition or anything).

for those who have been watching it, I dunno if you've followed the official site, but exec producer Ron Moore has been doing "podcasts" (which are basically mp3 files for those who dont use podcast syncing), commenteries for the episodes here.

Original ending int he 1st draft of the finale had Baltar meeting the Cylon God... played by Dirk Benedict (starbuck in TOS).

Also the original plan for the adama/roslin thing was that over time Roslin was supposed to get more strict and hard-edged, stamping out dissent and freedom, until Adama staged a coup to put a stop to it. obviously the scenario that aired is different, with the same result.

I'd have rather seen Dirk than the stupid ending on the planet. The part on the ship was very good, kinda saw it coming but I didn't in a way. But the part on the planet was really a big "christ, whatever" moment.

Captain Adama may be the only character I even can stand. The rest of them, they could be burned alive by the Cylons and I don't think I'd blink. Cept the Asian Robot, cause she's cute. The rest of them, burn.

I enjoy this show. Unfortunately my parents don't get Space up here in Toronto so I'm SOL for the moment (at least I can watch Numb3rs though). But anyways, I think that the producers have done a solid job with the show.

And also, I find it ironic that the two sci-fi shows that are getting the critical acclaim and ratings (Galactica and the 4400) are run by two guys best known for Deep Space Nine, while the Trek franchise has crashed and burned under the watch of Berman and Braga.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I've really been annoyed by all the bashing that happens with this show. They whine that it's different but these same people would be whining if it was the same too. I really get annoyed when people just watch a random episode and then won't listen when you explain it was a 2 parter.

The President really gets on my nerves though. The way she acted when she thought Adama was a cylon made her come off really stupid.

But Friday Nights have been great with Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica on.

I've really been annoyed by all the bashing that happens with this show. They whine that it's different but these same people would be whining if it was the same too. I really get annoyed when people just watch a random episode and then won't listen when you explain it was a 2 parter.

That's probably the old school fanbase doing the bashing. I guess they just love capes and such.

The President really gets on my nerves though.  The way she acted when she thought Adama was a cylon made her come off really stupid.

I'd say that's really part of the character. You're 44th in line for the Presidency, and suddenly it's thrust on you. Chances are you're not ready for the responsibility, nor were you ever expecting it.

I'm resurrecting this thread because the new season is 4 episodes old and the shows still kicks ass. I know I can't be the only person watching (and loving) this show.

We all have those idiot friends that we argue wth because we think they're always wrong (not unlike on the internet). I had an argument yesterday about this show with him. I think the reason we were probably arguing is because he has only seen the first part of the mini-series and none of the subsequent episodes, and hasn't watched an episode of the 1978 series since he was a kid. However, this didn't stop him from arguing that the original was a great show and this one strayed too far from the original. After 20 minutes of defending this show, I finally put it out there for him in clear terms: The old show was for kids, this one is for adults.

I haven't seen the new show. I remember seeing an extensive trailer for the 5-part (was it 5 parts?) mini series in Sci Fi. There was this really hot blonde who I believe was a shapeshifting Cyon (however you spell it). Please tell me about her character, her name, and where else I may've seen her.

Tricia Helfer plays the humanoid Cylon "Number 6". She's not a shapeshifter, but often appears as a mental projection inside Baltar's mind (where he often gets to have sex with her).

The mini-series was 2 parts and aired in December of 2003, and is available on DVD and for rent at most video stores.

In the US, the show airs Friday nights on the Sci-Fi Channel (10pm eastern/9pm central).

The UK version of the first season is available on DVD through Best Buy, and a new DVD with both the mini-series and all 13 first season episodes will be released September 20.

This past episode, "Fragged" was pretty great, imo the best of the new season (i actually thought the first two episodes were a tad weak).

Tigh is becoming such a bastard, its hilarious. Tinpot dictator and all. I have to say though I think I've had enough of the lack of Adama and Starbuck, who are my two favorite characters. I want em back, and quick.

BTW, All the new episodes re-air on Monday night at 11 pm (right after RAW!), since Fri at 10 is such a bad timeslot.

I was excited about this show before it came out, but, at least to me, the mini-series was just unwatchable. I didn't like the new Galactica design (but I love the rest of the stuff, to be fair) but, hey, it's only a ship. The they started the whole Number 6 stuff with Baltar, which was just a pandering attempt to get stereotypical sci-fi geeks to watch the show because she's a hot blonde.

The characters were two-dimensional and, frankly, annoying. The writing was ok, but it seemed like they were going out of their way to disassociate themsleves from the original.

I guess what I missed is that the original had a sense of dignity about it. They were good people, and none of the people in this show, at least in the mini-series, is a good person.

Oh well, if you like it, then run with it. But I just didn't like it.

Guest JMA

I've been wanting to see this show after all the good buzz I've heard about it. Will there be a repeat showing of the first season?

I guess what I missed is that the original had a sense of dignity about it.  They were good people, and none of the people in this show, at least in the mini-series, is a good person.

Yeah, black and white characters are so much more three dimensional than grey characters.

No show with a furry robot dog has any dignity.

The they started the whole Number 6 stuff with Baltar, which was just a pandering attempt to get stereotypical sci-fi geeks to watch the show because she's a hot blonde.

Did you even watch the original show? Do you think Cassiopeia was in the cast because of her wonderful acting abilities? Give me a break.

Number Six is a "hot blonde" because she was sent to seduce Baltar and use him to take down the colonies' early warning system. It actually works to service the plot.

See what I said earlier about shows for kids vs. shows for grown-ups.

Spoilers

Michelle Forbes is set to play Cain in the upcoming episode "The Pegasus" to air on Sept. 16th, according to IMDB. "Pegasus" is a remake of a fan favorite Galactica episode in which the crew learns another Battlestar survived the Cylon attack on the 12 Colonies.

Chief Tyrol was certainly nearby the day that missle went off and killed half the Galatica pilots. And what about those guys Col.Tigh jettisoned into space because Chief couldn't get them out of the hanger fast enough? Not to mention his entire family died in a nuclear attack. It'll be a miracle if everyone's not dead or in the brig by the end of the season with this guy around.