Guest jm29195

The Simpsons Question

Bart: Well, you know what I think? I think Casper is the ghost of

Richie Rich.

Lisa: Hey, they do look alike!

Bart: Wonder how Richie died.

Lisa: Perhaps he realized how hollow the pursuit of money really is and

took his own life.

Marge: Kids, could you lighten up a little?

Caught "Homer Badman" the other day. One of the few episodes that makes me laugh just as much today as when I first saw it.

On "Rock Bottom"

Homer: Somebody had to take the babysitter home. Then I noticed she was sitting on [splice] her sweet [splice] can. [splice] so I grab her -- [splice] sweet can. [splice] Oh, just thinking about [splice] her [splice] can [splice] I just wish I had the [splice] sweet [splice] sweet [splice] s-s-sweet [splice] can.

Godfrey Jones: So, Mr. Simpson: you admit you grabbed her can. What do you have to say in your defense?

Homer: [looking lustful in a clearly-paused VCR shot]

Jones: Mr. Simpson, your silence will only incriminate you further. [paused shot of Homer grows larger] No, Mr. Simpson, don't take your anger out on me. Get back! Get back! Mist -- Mr. Simpson -- nooo!

Man: [quickly] Dramatization -- may not have happened.

"Portrait of an Ass-Grabber" is great too.

Ashley: No, Mr. Simpson! A cat is a living creature.

Dennis Franz as Homer: I don't care. [runs it over] [crashes into some garbage bins]

Franz: Now I'm going to grab me some sweet...

Ashley: No, Mr. Simpson, that's sexual harassment. If you keep it up, I'll yell so loud the whole country will hear!

Franz: [laughs] With a man in the White house? [laughs] Not likely! [laughs more]

Bart: You know, I used to think you were stuck in an emasculating, go-nowhere job.

Homer: Heh heh…kids.

Bart: But now? I want to follow in your footsteps.

Homer: Do you want to change your name to Homer, Junior? The kids can call you HoJu!

Bart: I’ll get back to you…

Marge: Homer, there’s a family of possums in here!

Homer: I call the big one “Bitey”.

In my opinion the best episode of all time.

According to Ken Keeler the episode is some master plan to show how small minded the internet (at the time a "small community of fans", much like Springfield is a small community) can be in regards to a slight change in someone you've known for years, and it worked. That's what I took out of his DVD commentary, anyway.

Wikipedia says...

This episode is about a community of people who like things just the way they are. Skinner's not really close to these people - he's a minor character - but they get upset when someone comes in and says 'this is not really the way things are' and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. And when the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.

The DVD commentary brings up a few good points actually. My opinion was pretty much summed up on the DVD commentary too (yes, I'm a nerd, shock horror) by either Josh Weinstein or Bill Oakley. As an actual stand alone episode of The Simpsons, it's perfectly good and the story itself is interesting. But it is a pretty 'out there' idea compared to most episodes. Most of the episodes that are a little different, you can usually tell before they come on. Shows like the Spinoff Showcase or Behind The Laughter, you know it's something different coming up. This one, it kinda sneaks up on you, just a normal episode and then suddenly 'what the hell, Skinner's an imposter, where did that come from!?' I think that's why most people who hate it do hate it. Which I guess proves Keeler's point.

I mean I like the episode fine, I like the story fine, but I'm still not keen on the general idea that Skinner isn't Skinner, but I don't know why exactly.

better point, why would the school hire the real akinner as principal, with no degree or experience.

"lets meet our new Principal Skinner, Principal Seymour Skinner (Silence) Um, him (polite applause)"

I still quote the simpsons way too much. Infact anytime I'm at a birthday party I will sing "you're the birthday boy or girl!"

and I overuse "Oh no, the corn, awwww Paul Newman's gonna have my legs broke"

I just watched the Bobo episode. Possibly my favourite episode.

After Burns shuts down television...

[burns: Smithers, I'm home.

*canned laughter*

Smither: What, already?

*canned laughter*

Burns: Yes.

*canned laughter*]

Lisa: Is it me, or is TV getting worse?

Homer: Eh, it's about the same. Uh-oh, look out Smithers! *vase smashes*

better point, why would the school hire the real akinner as principal, with no degree or experience.

"If a man pretending to be me could do the job, then logically the real me can do it even better" or something similar.

I know a lot of people hate "Grandpa Simpson in: Kidney Trouble" (and Homer really does come off as an ass at the end after they do a fake-out "Homer redeems himself" bit) but there are some awesome lines.

"Oooooh! This is everyone's fault but mine"

"You've done a wonderful thing! You've greatly reduced your life expectancy to slighty increase someone elses!" (paraphrased - Marge talking to Homer).

The whole Taffy Shop thing. "Well, if you look closely, you'll this is actually a Taffy Shop and not a boat", which leads to "Yar. What other ships ye work on?" / "Uhhh... that one. The taffy shop!" / "Yar. Good enough!".

"If a man pretending to be me could do the job, then logically the real me can do it even better" or something similar.

I know a lot of people hate "Grandpa Simpson in: Kidney Trouble" (and Homer really does come off as an ass at the end after they do a fake-out "Homer redeems himself" bit) but there are some awesome lines.

"You've done a wonderful thing! You've greatly reduced your life expectancy to slighty increase someone elses!" (paraphrased - Marge talking to Homer).

The whole Taffy Shop thing. "Well, if you look closely, you'll this is actually a Taffy Shop and not a boat", which leads to "Yar. What other ships ye work on?" / "Uhhh... that one. The taffy shop!" / "Yar. Good enough!".

"This is a text book kidney blow out, which would explain those loud pops you heard."

"So you're saying I don't need a new muffler?"

I know a lot of people hate "Grandpa Simpson in: Kidney Trouble"

Really? The Lost Souls part I'm not a fan of, but there's some really funny stuff in this one. And I don't have a problem with Homer being an ass. The fact he runs out on his dad would be pretty unforgiveable, but it's a cartoon for crying out loud. The second escape always cracks me up, because you're really not expecting it at that point.

Homer: Why did they build this ghost town so far away!?

Lisa: Because they discovered gold right over there.

Homer: It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything.

Toure Guide: First on our tour is the whore house. Then we'll visit the cathouse, the brothel, the bordello, and finally the old mission.

Marge: Oh, thank heavens...

Tour Guide: Lots of prostitutes in there!

And of course, when the drunk cowboy falls into the trough and is clearly drowning, with everybody assuming it's part of the show. "He knows what he's doing". I say that line all the time.

Actually I like that episode. a lot of great lines and sight gags (the world's largest toilet still gives me a chuckle). A great Homer-centric episode, where Homer does look kinda bad, but it' smostly that he's scared, not that he doesn't want to help his dad.

Good episode on tonight with Homer getting a helper monkey and Kidz Newz.

*Bart makes a sappy people story about Joe's ducks. Makes a comment about how pollution might have killed the ducks*.

Mr. Burns: Smithers, do you think my plant maybe killed those ducks?

Smithers: I don't think that's a maybe.

Good episode on tonight with Homer getting a helper monkey and Kidz Newz.

*Bart makes a sappy people story about Joe's ducks. Makes a comment about how pollution might have killed the ducks*.

Mr. Burns: Smithers, do you think my plant maybe killed those ducks?

Smithers: I don't think that's a maybe.

you forgot the "excellent" with a sad tone.

anyhow great episode. "Some say maybe Joe used to sit on that bench with those ducks"

the helper monkey was fun as it kinda turned into Homer, when Homer told marge he could do tricks, and he lazily got up and failed to do his trick .

"The highly anticipated fight between Kearney and Mr. Largo ended in a disqualification, for use of dog-doo on a stick"

Lots of funny little moments in that one.

"Oh please, what don't they learn? Don't trust mice, cats are made of glass..."

Homer's line after Mojo does his 'happy dance' and collapses; "...and so on".

And of course my favourite line from Grampa after Homer 'steals' the monkey from him, "I can't wait to eat that monkey".

Marge: Homer, where are you going?

Homer: Work.

Marge: It's 4 o'clock on a Saturday.

Homer: I, uh, have to, uh, count the atoms at the nuclear plant. Conservation of mass, it's the law!

Greatest. Physics reference. Ever.

From the episode when Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger are in town.

*Crowd of people are outside Alec & Kim house.

Kurt Van Houten: Can you see the celebrities?

Moe: Sure. Just climb over the fence and walk right up to the window and peek on through.

*Kurt runs to the fence, and gets shocked by the fence.

Moe: I never get tired of that.