TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Official TNA LockDown Preview 4/24/05

It's a week early but we need content damnit! I'll add to this post as more is made avilable at TNA's site, but here's what's compiled for now:

A reminder that Parental Advisory is suggested by TNA: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=69172

poster_main.jpg

poster_btm.jpg

THE MOST BARBARIC NIGHT IN TNA WRESTLING HISTORY EXPECTED AT “LOCKDOWN” ON APRIL 24

On Total Nonstop Action Wrestling “iMPACT!”, Director of Authority, Dusty Rhodes announced that all the matches on the pay-per-view event “Lockdown” will take place in Six Sides of Steel. This will be the most barbaric night in TNA Wrestling History, and marks the first time in the history of professional wrestling an entire pay-per-view event will be held in a steel cage!

“Lockdown” was originally scheduled to feature two Six Sides of Steel matches but after recent events on “iMPACT!” the DOA Rhodes has gotten approval from management to place the entire pay-per-view event inside Six Sides of Steel.

On April 24th the entire TNA Wrestling world is essentially under lockdown. Besides the historic declaration that all matches will be held in a steel cage, little is known about Rhodes intentions for apparent lockdown of the TNA Wrestling world.

This unpredictable, dangerous and truly barbaric night is a must see event as professional wrestling’s most unforgiving structure will be on display all night long. “Lockdown” continues the TNA Wrestling tradition of innovation, joining Ultimate X, King of the Mountain, Six Sided Ring, X-Division & others as exclusive to Total Nonstop Action Wrestling.

cage1.jpg

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: LETHAL LOCKDOWN RULES

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett, The Alpha Male Monty Brown and The Outlaw vs. Kevin Nash, Diamond Dallas Page and Sean Waltman

The past few months Total Nonstop Action Wrestling has seen NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett create alliances to help him retain his title. The veteran champions’ powers of persuasion have led to power players standing at his side.

The year began with “The Kings of Wrestling,” a team Jarrett forged with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. That team helped him defeat Jeff Hardy & Monty Brown to retain his title. Soon, Nash set his sights on becoming champion and the Kings disbanded. Jarrett rarely runs alone these days so soon super-free agent The Outlaw was enlisted to help Jarrett retain his title against Nash, despite the re-emergence of Sean Waltman. Last month at TNA Wrestling “Destination X,” Diamond Dallas Page had proclaimed it was time, and that he would defeat Jarrett for the title. Once again The Outlaw was there to help Jarrett but Waltman and Nash made sure his interference would not save Jarrett. DDP had the title in his grasp when Monty Brown pounced his way to Jarrett’s side keeping the title on The King of the Mountain. Jarrett had once again persuaded another ally to his side. Come this Sunday at TNA Wrestling “Lockdown” the NWA World Heavyweight Championship may not be on the line but Jarrett will have nowhere to hide locked in Six Sides of Steel.

Lethal Lockdown is the game this Sunday that Jarrett, Brown & The Outlaw will play against DDP, Waltman & an opponent to be named (replacing an injured Kevin Nash). But keep in mind Lethal Lockdown is no ordinary game as all weapons are legal and the rules of the lockdown will be in place. One member of each team will start in the ring with another participant being randomly drawn. Jarrett will find out just how strong his alliances are as this match is sure to be brutal, and what will the champion do if he is left alone inside professional wrestling most unforgiving structure. There is plenty of bad blood surrounding this match and the brutality of it is not be missed.

BREAKING NEWS: NASH UNABLE TO COMPETE AT LOCKDOWN - STILL DETERMINED TO APPEAR AT THE PAY-PER-VIEW

On Wednesday morning, TNA Wrestling learned that Kevin Nash will be unable to compete at this Sunday’s Lockdown Pay-Per-View due to a knee injury as a result of a staph infection the superstar recently suffered. Nash had been preparing in recent days for the event, but the injury has not healed to the extent to allow him to compete.

Director of Authority Dusty Rhodes will name a substitute to take Nash’s place in the Six Sides of Steel during this Sunday’s Pay-Per-View. TNAwrestling.com hopes to have an update on Nash’s injury this weekend.

UPDATE: TNAwrestling.com has just learned that Kevin Nash phoned TNA management at noon to deliver word that despite the injury, he is determined to appear at this Sunday's Pay-Per-View. Nash will be seeing a doctor in Atlanta later today in an effort to get medical clearance to appear at the Pay-Per-View. We also understand a comment may be forthcoming from Jeff Jarrett, who is taking full responsibility for putting Nash out of action. TNAwrestling.com hopes to have another update on Kevin Nash by tomorrow morning.

UPDATE2: The past month has been hellacious for Kevin Nash, who has been nursing a leg injury originally sustained at Destination X. Despite the pain, Nash continued training for his bout at Lockdown. However the injury developed into a staph infection, and despite treatment, worsened to the point where on Wednesday morning Nash informed TNA management he would be unable to compete in the bout at the Pay-Per-View.

According to Director of Authority Dusty Rhodes, NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett, The Alpha Male Monty Brown and The Outlaw were more than happy to boast about "putting Nash out" upon being informed of the injury by Rhodes. Rhodes also promised Jarrett that he would name a replacement for Nash during the Pay-Per-View this Sunday.

After hearing of Jarrett's reaction on Thursday afternoon, Nash informed TNA management that while he may not be able to compete in the ring, he would indeed be at the Pay-Per-View this Sunday night in support of Diamond Dallas Page and Sean Waltman.

cage2c.jpg

cage2b.jpg

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: FOR THE NUMBER ONE CONTENDER

The Phenomenal AJ Styles vs. Abyss

There is one thing that is coveted above all in professional sports and that is to become a world champion. Some wait an entire career just to get a shot at becoming a world champion. This Sunday at Total Nonstop Action Wrestling “Lockdown” Abyss and AJ Styles will face in Six Sides of Steel to determine who will get a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at next month’s “Hard Justice.”

AJ Styles has held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship two times and has been the most accomplished champion in TNA Wrestling history. He knows what it is like to be world champion and wants the have the belt around his waist again. Called by many the greatest athlete in professional wrestling, Styles does not fear any opponent, and while his battles with Abyss are legendary, he is not afraid of stepping into Six Sides of Steel against the monster.

“I’m not afraid of facing Abyss, I want my shot at Jarrett and that title,” said Styles. “Abyss just stands in my way and I will do anything it takes to go to ‘Hard Justice’ and once again be the NWA World Heavyweight Champion.”

The monster Abyss is the most dangerous competitor on the TNA roster. He seems to have an

un-human threshold for pain and an even greater desire to inflict it. No one knows what or who motivates this monster but his sights are squarely set on the championship, which he has never held. While most men go into a match like Six Sides of Steel with some reservations, it appears that the man who always carries an iron chain will feel right at home surrounded by metal. Abyss refused to comment on the upcoming match.

Two men have one goal and are willing to sacrifice to realize their dream. But only one will get a shot at the championship next month. The only question remaining is; just how far will they go to become #1 contender this Sunday on pay-per-view?

xxxb.jpg

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: X CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

The Fallen Angel vs. Primetime

Triple X was one of the most successful tag teams in the history of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. The team of “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels and “Primetime” Elix Skipper are former NWA World Tag Team Champions and were forced to disband after losing to America’s Most Wanted in a Six Sides of Steel match at “Turning Point.” Since the separation both have embarked on singles careers that have seen Daniels become the X-Division Champion and Skipper the number one contender for his title.

With Director of Authority Dusty Rhodes' announcement that for the first time ever an entire professional wrestling pay-per-view event will be held in a steel cage, this match up between the two former partners is truly ironic. In the same six sided steel structure that their legacy as Triple X ended, one man will reign supreme.

“I respect Elix, we were a great tag team,” said Daniels “But it is no secret that I carried us, I have always been the better wrestler. That is why I have the X-Division title around my waist and that is why I will still be wearing it after ‘Lockdown.”

In recent episodes of ‘iMPACT!” the two have had backstage confrontations on who was to blame over the lose to America’s Most Wanted.

“He might have done some amazing things in that match but, it wasn’t my back on the mat at ‘Turning Point,’ Elix lost that match” added Daniels

During that epic battle at “Turning Point” Skipper landed one of the most talked about moves in professional wrestling as he walked atop the Six Sides of Steel, raising the bar of expectation for all future cage matches.

“I’m not trying to top what happened back then,” said Skipper. “I want one thing and that is the title around my waist. This is my house and in that cage the world will know Triple X had only one primetime player.”

Both these men have been so close for so long that they know each others moves and strategies like no one else in TNA Wrestling. There is more than just the coveted X-Division title on the line but the answer to a great sport mystery of who is better. Imagine if Karl Malone played one on one with John Stockton; Wayne Gretzky challenged Mark Messier, John Smoltz starring down Chipper Jones or Tedy Bruschi lined up against Tom Brady. TNA Wrestling fans will get their answer on April 24th as the question to who is better between Christopher Daniels and Elix Skipper is answered inside Six Sides of Steel.

ravenhardy.jpg

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: TABLES MATCH

The Charismatic Enigma Jeff Hardy vs. Raven

When Raven and Hardy fight it out inside the Six Sides of Steel on April 24, they’ll have their favorite weapon at their disposal as tables will be legal in the bout! It will truly be a clash of extreme and hardcore offenses, which is exactly the way both superstars like it! The first superstar to put his opponent through a table wins the match!

SIX SIDES OF STEEL FOR THE NWA TAG TEAM TITLE

America's Most Wanted vs. Team Canada

AMW - masters of the cage match - face Team Canada for the first time inside the Six Sides of Steel. The NWA World Tag Team Title will be on the line, and Team Canada has always taken AMW to the limit and beyond. However, the cage plays to AMW's advantage as it guarantees no outside interference by Canada coach Scott D'Amore.

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: "PRINCE OF DARKNESS" DEATH MATCH

Dustin Rhodes vs. Team Canada's Bobby Roode

In another first for TNA Wrestling, Dustin Rhodes takes on Bobby Roode on April 24 in a Prince of Darkness Match where both superstars will be forced to compete wearing blindfolds! In the battle of Texas vs. Canada, the first superstar to find his opponent and beat him wins the bout.

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: "XSCAPE" MATCH

Michael Shane vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Chris Sabin vs. Shocker

In another first in TNA Wrestling, the high-flying superstars of TNA’s X Division will compete to “Xscape” the Six Sides of Steel! What crazy moves will Sabin, Shane, Shocker and Kash pull off inside the cage in their mad dash to escape? Tune in and see!

SONJAY DUTT ENTERED IN THE “XSCAPE” MATCH THIS SUNDAY

TNAwrestling.com has also learned that Sonjay Dutt will be replacing Kid Kash in the “Xscape” match this Sunday at Lockdown. Dutt will compete against Michael Shane, Chris Sabin and Shocker.

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: CHALLENGE MATCH

Apolo vs. Lance Hoyt

On Sunday, April 24, TNA Wrestling presents the three hour Pay-Per-View spectacular - Lockdown! 30 minutes prior to the start of the live broadcast, tune into your Pay-Per-View channel to see our FREE live preshow! You'll get updates live from backstage, match previews and analysis, exclusive interviews and so much more!

The preshow will feature a three-way tag team match with The 3Live Kru vs. The Naturals and Chris Candido vs. Buck Quartermain, Lex Lovett and David Young.

In addition, fans who tune into the preshow will get the opportunity to see the Six Sides of Steel cage being constructed in the ring prior to going live on Pay-Per-View!

TNA Countdown will be available on many cable systems, and will be featured on the same Pay-Per-View channel that TNA events regularly air on.

It will be an action-packed program intended to show you what you can expect on that evening's Pay-Per-View event. TNA Countdown will air FREE in participating markets on Sundays from 7:30-8pm ET and 4:30-5pm PT. Cable systems that will be showing the Pre-Show for free are:

DirecTV

DISH Network

Time Warner - New York, NY

Comcast - Philadelphia, PA

Comcast - Los Angeles, CA

Comcast - Atlanta, GA

Cox - San Diego, CA

Cox - Rhode Island

Time Warner - Charlotte, NC

Time Warner - Columbus, OH

Time Warner - Rochester, NY

If TNA Countdown is not shown for free on your cable system, call them to request it!

I might buy it out of sheer boredom, and i have alotta money to waste.

Honestly, this looks like a show from the sheer balls to the wall excess that could be either really good or really bad but either way should be entertaining in a car wreck sort of way. I'll probably give it an order too. One thing's for sure, it's Dusty's last stand.

That looks like a decent card, surprisingly enough. The main event has enough competent guys in it to balance out the choads, the X division stuff all looks entertaining, and Raven is one of the few people I'd pay money to see Hardy wrestle at this point. Too bad that EVERY FUCKING MATCH IS INSIDE OF A CAGE which almost guarantees a night of repetitious boredom and matches that all look alike.

No doubt, it's dusty's last stand.

Some of those matches will be pretty good i'm sure. But it's hard for me to to buy a PPV where the world title isn't defended.

Some of those matches will be pretty good i'm sure. But it's hard for me to to buy a PPV where the world title isn't defended.

Wasn't defefended at Turning Point and that was one of their best shows. I mean, really, do people want to see Jeff Jarrett singles matches now?

Wasn't defefended at Turning Point and that was one of their best shows. I mean, really, do people want to see Jeff Jarrett singles matches now?

Do you really have to ask ME that question?

I think you know the answer.

And i thought turning point would have been twice as good with a world title match in there.

Do you really have to ask ME that question?

I think you know the answer.

And i thought turning point would have been twice as good with a world title match in there.

I really don't know, so I assume you really are a Jarrett fan? Wow. Hey I'm a long time Double J fan too and supported him through much of his early criticism but he needs to drop that belt and just go on vacation or at least stay off TV for a couple months and regroup. He's anchoring down the company and driving fans away and his act and his match style have become too stale. If he came back with a re-energized spirit and a new fresh feud with someone new as champion it would help a lot...

I really don't know, so I assume you really are a Jarrett fan? Wow. Hey I'm a long time Double J fan too and supported him through much of his early criticism but he needs to drop that belt and just go on vacation or at least stay off TV for a couple months and regroup. He's anchoring down the company and driving fans away and his act and his match style have become too stale. If he came back with a re-energized spirit and a new fresh feud with someone new as champion it would help a lot...

Hell yes i love JJ. That's not a gimmick, I live it. I agree that would help if took a break for a couple of months. When he drops the title, I don't think he should win it back for at least a year. he doesn't need to be like 5 or 6 time champ in 2 years. niether does Styles or Killings though.

JJ should drop the belt..yes. But to who. I assume it will be Styles at the next PPV. I'm gonna LOVE it if he makes styles job to him. HHAHA, I'll love it!

JJ should drop the belt..yes. But to who. I assume it will be Styles at the next PPV. I'm gonna LOVE it if he makes styles job to him. HHAHA, I'll love it!

:huh:

....well I think the smart thing to do would be to switch the belt to AJ next month. They could let Elix finally win the X title from Daniels at Lockdown and then let Styles and Daniel feud for a month for the belt since those 2 are gold together and headlining in a World Title match should sell some PPVs to the right audience. Then build back up Brown to take the title from Styles at the anniversary show. Then again Dusty is booking...

Yes they should do that. But they won't. It will be AJ vs Jarrett. then AJ vs Monty. then Monty wins then Jarrett turns on Monty turning Monty face. then JJ vs Monty.

I'm 100% sure of this.

Every match is in the cage? Isn't that overkill?

dusty.jpg

Lemme tell you sumtin', if you weel. Just tink about eet! Tink about eet, all da matches, in da cage. All of 'em. And we got tables, and ladders and oh mercy theys gonna be blood and guts and vioooleeence if you weel, and da girls will be there, isn't dat right, and it's going to be da biggest thing eeeevah that yo eyes weel see, believe dat why don't chya.

Or in English, yes it is. Dusty knows his days are numbered and has apparently lost his mind. Like I said it's guarenteed to be an entertaining show. They can never have another steel cage match ever again, but for what it is expect a trainwreck that could actually deliver some really good matches...

Guest LooneyTune

The train wreck possibility makes me interested, so I might pick up a copy of this. Did NWA/WCW ever do a show with the same gimmick match all night when Dusty (or anyone) was booking?

The train wreck possibility makes me interested, so I might pick up a copy of this. Did NWA/WCW ever do a show with the same gimmick match all night when Dusty (or anyone) was booking?

Closest I can think of would be Uncensored which featured bad matches...I mean gimmick matches all night. Lethal Lotery when done was all random tag matches and then a battle royal....so I believe this is the first time in wrestling history (on PPV at least) that all matches will be in a steel cage...a 6 sided steel cage no less.

It should make wrestling history, or at least wrestlecrap.

SIX SIDES OF STEEL: CHALLENGE MATCH

Apolo vs. Lance Hoyt

Worst match of the night.

It's bad when Dallas is the best worker in the match.

Total carry job by the hoytster.

it would have made a ton more sense to take Kash out of the XScape match and do a tag match:

Kash and Hoyt vs. Apolo and Siaki

THAT'S where the buildup has been going

Guest LooneyTune
xxxb.jpg

This picture is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think it's too bad... a little silly, but I've seen worse.

Lights coming out of his hands....that should be his new finish.

You guys are a bit harsh on Apollo. I've seen him wrestle live dozens of times, and he's pretty good for a guy his size. Got kind of a Batista vibe going on. Sure, he's a bit clumsy and doesn't have the best cardio in the world, but what do you expect from someone who's six and a half feet tall and over three hundred pounds?

I don't think he does good for a guy of his size at all. he's slow, clumsy, and blown up all the time. Big Vis is in better shape.

Guest LooneyTune

I was never impressed with Apollo. He had I think one good match during the early days of TNA, but since then... blech. He's not a horrible wrestler or anything, just really fucking boring.

he makes sonny siaki look like the rock in terms of charisma.

it would have made a ton more sense to take Kash out of the XScape match and do a tag match:

Kash and Hoyt vs. Apolo and Siaki

THAT'S where the buildup has been going

I agree...I thought that's where they were heading. Not only would it make more sense booking wise, but it'd sooooo improve the quality of the match.

Meh. Maybe it's just personal preferences. For example, I've always thought Siaki was bland, boring, and a wee bit dangerous.

If it wasn't bad enough that every match was in a cage they had to make virtually every match a gimmick match on top of it.

The point of a cage match is to keep the wrestlers in and prevent interferance. Now, how is that accomplished when they have a table match? Are they going to stack half a dozen tables in the corner of the little ring they use? Or is the thing going to spill out onto the floor, thus defeating the entire purpose of a cage match?

They could let Elix finally win the X title from Daniels at Lockdown

Didn't they just put the belt on him last month after he chased AJ for ever? If they job Daniels now it makes both he and AJ look like shit. Daniels for losing his first big title defense and AJ for jobing to a loser.

Guest LooneyTune

Or in other words: Elix Skipper is better than both of them. (of course he isn't, but I hate when people choose to go with the "OMG hes gonna make someone look bad" side of the argument instead of the other)