TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LucharesuFan619

ROH/Boston promoter part ways after scandal + lies

CREDIT: DeclarationOfIndependents.net

The DOI has found out today from sources in Ring of Honor, that Ring of Honor Boston Promoter, James Quinlin, is no longer involved in the company. Ring of Honor would like for people to think that Quinlin was fired, but the real truth about Quinlin's dismissal from the company is because Quinlan felt cheated and used by two key people in the company.

According to our ROH sources, Quinlin originally left the company 6 months ago, but was asked to return by ROH Owner, Cary Silken. Cary Silken respected and appreciated Quinlin's work in the company and wanted Quinlin to continue his work with ROH. Quinlin agreed to return to the company, under the condition that he woudln't have to deal with the "difficult business practices" used by Gabe Sapolsky.

The reason Quinlin left the company the first time six months ago, is the same reason why he's leaving today. Per his agreement with Ring of Honor, Quinlin was supposed to receive a certain percentage of the gate that ROH grossed when they ran shows in Boston. Quinlin was supposed to receive $1 per fan in the building. For example, Quinlin would rent 500 chairs per show, and expect to be paid $500 at the end of the night, because all the chairs were filled. However, that did not happen.

Quinlin felt that ROH employee, Syd Eick, would lie about the attendance figures to him. Quinlin was told by Syd every show that there were a lot of comps in the building. While comps are expected in indy wrestling, complimentary tickets aren't meant for 100+ people, like Quinlin was being told by Syd. Quinlin felt that Syd would undercut numbers to him for either personal financial gain or for ROH's financial gain. There was a similiar incident with ROH and JAPW, when the two companies held a joint show last year, where it looked like JAPW was being undercut money, by Syd, as well. Either way, Quinlin would be stuck with less money.

Quinlin also felt mistreated by Ring of Honor, which led to Quinlin leaving ROH the first time 6 months ago. Quinlin felt like he was treated unprofessional by ROH Booker Gabe Sapolsky. Quinlin would tell Gabe that there were problems in ROH, such as paying off the chair rental companies, paying the municipal police for security, and other bills, but Gabe would brush Quinlin off and tell him he "had no time for him right now." Quinlin felt that he was treated as "insignificant" by Gabe. By not having these problems answered by Gabe, Quinlin would then have to feel the brunt of ROH's Boston's problems, while ROH counted their earnings problem free. Quinlin, being the stand-up guy that he is, would take care of all of Ring of Honor's Boston's bills, and would expect reimbursement later on.

Quinlin was said to be on great terms with Cary Silken and found Cary Silken to be 100% professional. The reason Quinlan put up with Gabe and Syd's attitude and lies, according to people close with Quinlin, was because of his strong professional respect for Cary Silken. Cary Silken was said to be a true professional during all of this.

Quinlin is now supposedly going to be replaced with a referee, who is under the age of 18, to help promote the Boston shows. The kid will help promote the shows by flyering the area, having a street team, and use other basic promoting techniques. It is not 100% confirmed that the kid will now be the official ROH Boston promoter, but it is expected, according to our sources in ROH.

Quinlin will now be helping Jersey All Pro Wrestling, as JAPW makes their Boston area debut on May 21st. From people I've talked to, both parties are ecstatic about the arrangement. Both parties are looking forward to the event, as the show features alot of wrestlers making their Boston area debut. It should be interesting to see how many fans JAPW draws, compared to how many fans ROH draws in the same area.

There is also a rumbling in the Ring of Honor locker room that any new wrestler who associates themselves as "personal friends" of the DOI or "associates/friends" with RF Video will not get a look by Ring of Honor. This is a statement that Gabe Sapolsky has told several people in the wrestling business already. One wrestler, who made his ROH debut this past Saturday night, was told by Gabe that he would not be allowed in ROH if he was friendly with members of the DOI or RF Video. It is obvious that Ring of Honor is trying to force the wrestlers to choose either doing business with ROH or their friends. I don't know why ROH would do something like this, but I guess it shows that ROH is somewhat threatened by either the DOI or RF Video. It also sets up ROH as having the power to all the younger guys who come into the company.

RF Video's no-compete clause with Ring of Honor expires in the summer, and it is no secret that RF Video has been sending out feelers to independent wrestlers, as well as ex-WWE wrestlers, about working for RF Video, once RF Video debuts their new promotion. Once RF Video launches their new promotion, expect a "Monday Night War" feel on the indy scene between RF Video and ROH, as ROH has already made it look clear that they are threatened by RF Video and will do anything in their power (such as refuse bookings) for anyone who associates/talks to RF Video employees. RF Video employees have told the DOI they don't care what ROH does, as they are only focused on what RF Video does. As you can tell, RF Video has worked with several ROH wrestlers on outside projects, and have no interest on where a wrestler picks up a payday from.

To dismiss other rumors, from other message boards, the DOI and RF Video have no business relationships, outside of advertising. Why Gabe would lump DOI into his business either shows paranoia by Gabe, or a fear that the DOI will help RF Video later on down the line. Either way, it is pretty ridiculous, from a personal viewpoint.

According to an ex-WWE wrestler that the DOI has been in contact with, ROH is very interested in two wrestlers who were recently cut by the WWE this past month. We'll have more news on these deals once more information becomes available.

Dan Maff is still in possession of the ROH Tag Team title, and according to people we've talked to, Maff has no intentions of giving it back. Who knows, maybe it will end up on eBay? After all, Jasmin St. Claire put 3PW up for bid on eBay earlier this month.

ROH returns to NY, for the first time since 2003, in May. Expect something big to go down with the Rottweillers, who are NY based. The show will feature American Dragon vs Homicide, in a Steel Cage Match, to settle their Best-Of-5 feud. This feud has been one of the better feuds ever since the days of Homicide/Corino, Punk/Raven and Joe/Briscoes.

UPDATE:

ROH has officially confirmed the DOI's story about Quinlin leaving the company. According to the ROH newsline, which is written by ROH Booker Gabe Sapolsky, Quinlin has mutually left the company. ROH officially said the following:

"ROH and Boston area promoter Jim Quinlin have mutually parted ways. We want to thank Jim for all his contributions to ROH and we wish him and his family the best in the future. ROH is now looking to rebuild the Boston market by stabilizing the building situation. We will announce a return date in the future."

I find it interesting that ROH said that they need to rebuild their Boston market. ROH always considered Boston one of their top, outside of the Philadelphia area, to hold shows. ROH's first outside of Philly shows were held in Boston. They consistently drew strong numbers in the Boston area in the last three years. The word "rebuild" seems odd in ROH's press release. I don't know if the word rebuild is used to knock Quinlin or their own personal business.

ROH is rumored to be in negotiations with a teenager to help them promote shows in the Boston area in the future.

For more on ROH, visit http://www.rohwrestling.com

Guest SoCalTF

Until I see someone like Mike Johnson report this, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Guest SoCalTF

I said some like Johnson, who's a lot more credible then "TheMiC". If Meltzer reported it I'll believe it.

Mike Johnson does ROH's bus trips. How is he any more credible than MiC? At least wait for Dave Meltzer or someone independent of all parties like that to report it.

The DOI is VERY anti-ROH so I'd take anything they say with a grain of salt

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm no RoH fan by any means but that article is horribly slanted to one person's view on everything.

Guest Deviant

ROH not wanting their talent to associate themselves with Rob Feinstein shows that they are scared of the paedophile's crippled video company HOW exactly? Seems like common sense that ROH wouldn't want any connections with the NAMBLA supporter whose actions almost killed them just over a year ago.

ROH wanting to distance themselves from the boy-touching freak that gave ROH a huge black eye and tarnished the company... those BASTARDS!

Seriously, DOI is a pretty good source for indy info, but the constant fondling of Feinstein's paedophile balls is sickening. I hope the cheque from RF Video is worth it.

Guest Miss Indy Queen
Until I see someone like Mike Johnson report this, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Mike Johnson has spoken:

credit: pwinsider.com

Local MA promoter Jim Quinlin, who has handled the promotion's events in New England since they first began running there in 2002, departed Ring of Honor after yesterday's event. When contacted about departing on Sunday afternoon, Quinlin said the decision to leave was his as he has a family illness to deal with that has been very taxing on his time. He said that he saw ROH owner Cary Silkin off at the airport and all was well between them as it was an amicable split.

Jim Quinlin is a very nice guy and I hope things get better with his family.

Guest Duncan Eternia

Exactly...considering the history of the DOI and ROH, credibility should be considered here. Good luck to both parties though. Also it is nice to hear of JAPW making a Boston debut. I have only been to a handful of their shows, but they delivered every time.

Mike clearly said that according to Jim. That's what happened. So that's not to say there wasn't some type of controversy. If he is such a good guy, then he - like any reasonable person - wouldn't want to be associated with such controversy, would he?

I love this quote from a recent article from DOI about the situation:

After this story broke, Quinlin sat back and read the reactions on numerous message boards, such as the ROH board. Quinlin saw several fans bash him without even knowing him or talking to him. Some of the user names who bashed Quinlin were highly suspect. Quinlin then opted to reconsider his options and told JAPW that he would help them with their May 21st Boston show.

Wow, that's some classy journalism right there, insinuating that the ROH staff created message board names to bash this guy on their board. Wow.

Guest TDinDC1112

Anyone who questions Mike Johnson's credibility doesn't know what they're talking about.

Mike clearly said that according to Jim. That's what happened. So that's not to say there wasn't some type of controversy. If he is such a good guy, then he - like any reasonable person - wouldn't want to be associated with such controversy, would he?

So... just so I'm not confused.

What you're saying is that you'd just assume take the word of an author working from the standpoint of a known bias who is reporting based soley on anonymous information that is, at best, once removed from the actual situation over a report derived from statements of someone who was actually involved in what happened.?

And beyond that,

the ROH release explicitly stated well-wishes to both Jim and his family, which is certainly not commonplace for past releases they've put out regarding their situations with other individuals.

I'm just curious as to the reasoning that you'd have for distrusting Johnson's report in favor of the DOI one. Even assuming that both sides are operating through a filter of bias, what it really comes down to is the proximity of those cited to the truth of the situation and their credibility with respect to the incident. And it blows my mind that you'd favor the DOI report for nothing more than that reason.

I love this quote from a recent article from DOI about the situation:

After this story broke, Quinlin sat back and read the reactions on numerous message boards, such as the ROH board. Quinlin saw several fans bash him without even knowing him or talking to him. Some of the user names who bashed Quinlin were highly suspect. Quinlin then opted to reconsider his options and told JAPW that he would help them with their May 21st Boston show.

Wow, that's some classy journalism right there, insinuating that the ROH staff created message board names to bash this guy on their board. Wow.

Gabe has gotten caught fake posting on the ROH forum more than once, so I wouldn't have any trouble believing he was still doing it.

Guest OSIcon
Gabe has gotten caught fake posting on the ROH forum more than once, so I wouldn't have any trouble believing he was still doing it.

You should probably mention that the "sources" of this information are unidentified people (not even signed up for the board) posting at DOI. Not to mention that the one guy they seemed convinced really is Gabe just clearly isn't. Wasn't aware that "Annynomous posts at the DOI Board" equals "getting caught".

Guest SoCalTF

Mike Johnson has spoken:

credit: pwinsider.com

Local MA promoter Jim Quinlin, who has handled the promotion's events in New England since they first began running there in 2002, departed Ring of Honor after yesterday's event. When contacted about departing on Sunday afternoon, Quinlin said the decision to leave was his as he has a family illness to deal with that has been very taxing on his time. He said that he saw ROH owner Cary Silkin off at the airport and all was well between them as it was an amicable split.

Jim Quinlin is a very nice guy and I hope things get better with his family.

There we have it folks, TheMic's bullshit "news" has been proven wrong once again.