TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Things that seemingly everyone hated

Guest BDC
I loved DDP as WCW champ, always been a Page mark.

Also a big Shamrock fan in WWF.  However, I seemed to be in a very small minority.

Add in Blackman's run with the Hardcore strap.

I agree with all of those. I think Page, Shamrock, and Blackman as HC champ were all accepted

Well, the first two all I ever heard on the Net were people crapping on Page with the belt and Shamrock's ringstyle. Maybe I was just in a rough part of town, dunno. I think the people I hung around with largely disregarded Blackman's HC run as well, but ignored it, thus giving me a stigma as "The Blackman fan" or something.

Here's another one. I thought Sid was fine as a world champ. I did. Just the look for it. Now, once you got a mic in his hand... I still didn't think he was that bad.

Mark me down for 3 Count as well.

I'm on the wagon for the I.R.S. gimmick. The guy didn't need music, an elaborate entrance, or any real mic skills to get the fans to boo. He just told them to pay taxes.

Also I've always had a soft spot for Viscera.

My buddy Matt and Chris, along with Chris' girlfriend Korren were watcing the 1992 Rumble on the Best of Flair DVD. IRS coming to the ring prompted Matt to give the Write-Off to Korren. I'm not kidding.

He also tells me daily to expect a best of IRS DVD set. I'm hoping for a Best of Berzerker. Oh man, did I mark out over seeing him for the first time in years.

Chris also loves Viscera.

His "Christian! Christian! At Last You're On Your Owwwwwwn!" entrence also ruled.

I thought I was the only one.

I've got to second Dean Douglas. The gimmick itself was a good concept. The execution wasn't great, I thought, but a little tweaking and it could have taken off.

His "Christian! Christian! At Last You're On Your Owwwwwwn!" entrence also ruled.

I thought I was the only one.

I also loved it. I like it so much, in fact, that when I see Christian come out on Raw I sing it in my head.

I've got to second Dean Douglas. The gimmick itself was a good concept. The execution wasn't great, I thought, but a little tweaking and it could have taken off.

I thought Dean Douglas was a very good gimmick too. I think Shane hated the fact that he was sabotaged by the Clique more than he hated the gimmick, but after the fact he more or less combined both into a single memory. The gimmick could have gotten over much more than it actually did. It's not like Simon Dean where the gimmick is DOA; it's something that could actually work.

Jason

Guest MikeSC

The gimmick was really, really solid. It's not the WWF's fault Shane couldn't pull it off.

-=Mike

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

I love Chris Masters, Ivory, Tyson Tomko, Orlando Jordan, Heidenreich, Luther Reigns, Kenzo Suzuki, and Jackie Gayda.

Guest DVD Spree

Steven Regal: Real Man's Man.

Big Show's first title reign (you know, when he'd do kip-ups and stuff).

Bossman-Big Show feud.

Dr Death and heel JR setting up rogue announce tables and hating on Michael Cole and Bart Gunn.

I love Chris Masters, Ivory, Tyson Tomko, Orlando Jordan, Heidenreich, Luther Reigns, Kenzo Suzuki, and Jackie Gayda.

A lot of people are starting to like Tyson Tomko now..

Guest BDC

I agree here. I really enjoyed this stretch and thought they never really gave him a chance to run.

Guest DVD Spree
I agree here.  I really enjoyed this stretch and thought they never really gave him a chance to run.

Wasn't the blowoff to his feud with Bossman (and Albert, IIRC) in the middle of a PPV card, even though he was champion? Yeah I know, they were never going to get behind him as a "real" champ, but they could've at least tried…

Still glad I got the Bossman feud, though.

A lot of people are starting to like Tyson Tomko now..

Define "a lot"

I agree here.  I really enjoyed this stretch and thought they never really gave him a chance to run.

Wasn't the blowoff to his feud with Bossman (and Albert, IIRC) in the middle of a PPV card, even though he was champion? Yeah I know, they were never going to get behind him as a "real" champ, but they could've at least tried…

Still glad I got the Bossman feud, though.

the blowff was a wwf title match at armageddon 99 it was 2nd to last on the card (before that awesome vince-hhh streetfight)

anyhow mark me down for 3 count as well. You gotaa love that. cmon they had green circels and started a feud with the Jung Dragons cuz they took their circles thats gold. Plus Tanks intial appearance with them, they are in the ring debuting their new song, tank watches on a backstage monitor and starts movin a little (tony:hes groovin tanks groovin) then Kronik comes down and destorys 3 count, tanks like "Hey what theyd do that for, who do they think they are?" (note I have the segment on tape)

as for shane and kane, shane had some extra drive in him due to his mother being hurt. Thats one constant in shanes charcater, he may turn heel every 55 mins but he ha s asoft spot for his mama.

forgot to mention that I also liked Ready to Rumble, plus Rico and Charlie haas as a team. not that everyone hates that but most gloss over it. I thought it was entertaining, Haas is all serious, Rico and Jackie over the top. Plus Charlie only seemed to stick around due to Jackie (which is fitting considering their real life relationship) They had the runway thing and charlie always refused to go with them on it, I was waiting for the time when hed relent but sadly no.

In Smarkland, Bill Goldberg gets a lot of sh!t, but seeing him for the first time was one of those moments as a wrestling fan i will never forget. In my opinion, Goldberg is awesome.

Kronik

Wrath

Ahmed Johnson

Steve Blackman

Tank Abbott

Jeff Jarrett

and most importantly ... GOLDBERG.I still love the guy,despire him being an awful worker and all.

Steven Regal: Real Man's Man.

Bossman-Big Show feud.

Dr Death and heel JR setting up rogue announce tables and hating on Michael Cole and Bart Gunn.

I too, enjoyed Show's first WWF World title reign. Through a miracle still not understood by the common man, in early December, 1999, he had a ***+ match with Viscera for the World title on RAW. I'm sure many of you remember the Big Show's Missle Dropkick. (Sure he didn't get a lot of height, but when you're over 7 feet tall and 400+ lbs, you don't need to put a lot of flash behind a dropkick) It's really sad looking at Show, 5 years later. He's still very entertaining, but he had scary agility back then.

Guest jm29195

Yeah, he did a rope assisted kip-up in the Bossman match at Armageddon to....

Guest BDC
Kronik

Wrath

Steve Blackman

I'll second them. Sure Kronik was a difficult team, but I loved watching them tear folks up.

Guest BrokenWings

The Vampiro/Sting feud.

I didn't really watch WCW with any continuity at this point, but followed the beginning of this. I was a Vampiro mark since he was born in my hometown. I don't know what happened after the human torch match, but I loved that and the feud leading up to it.

I'll think of more later.

Agreed with Jingus, Show's bumping has been damn good since he was shoved back up the card. I've always liked him but these days he does bring a lot more to his matches.

I loved Goldberg, particularly in the elimination chamber, to the point where I was marking out to levels I hadn't previously.

That 'Canadian rules' stuff in WCW with Jacques Rougeau as the ref, and the imposing of 5-counts etc. I laughed. The announcers made it, with the 'yeah this is it now! 1, 2, 3, 4, no!' stuff.

I loved that the West Texas Rednecks were getting great pops over the overly pointless Master P bits. WCW booked that kind of stuff so poorly and didn't know how to get out of it. According to the Death of WCW book, P was paid $200,000 per appearance, and his big bodygaurd guy was signed to a $400,000 a year deal.

I still the think that the leadup to HBK/HHH at SS 2002 and then the actual match there were the best feud and match the WWE has had since WM X-7.

I was also really happy that HHH retained at WM XIX. Booker T would have been the least deserving champion in WWE history. (Remember, JBL hadn't won the belt yet.)

Every once in a while for me, there is something that gets the IWC in a hissy,yet for some reason, I love it.

My pick (before the IWC but even so): StarrCade '89.

Cheers.