TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Your favorite fighters?

With all of the Mortal Kombat talk as of late, I was just curious who your favorite fighters were to use in that game?

I was defintiely a Sub-Zero mark for MK1, with the exception of Raiden (or Rayden as they changed it to...). But overall, I liked Reptile the best.

...and who can forget MK's arch nemesis, Street Fighter 2? I remember the line-ups in the arcades back in grade 10, it was so insane that they had to order 3 of each machine just to keep us all appeased (there was a small arcade right across the road from my high school). For my favorite, I have to go with Ken on this one. When the boss characters became playable, I used to like Vega, but he got boring. Sagat would be my choice for sure. He's not too fast, but he's one powerful SOB.

;)

Guest areacode212

I always sucked at the SF games. It always seemed like they had such a steep learning curve, and everyone who played them at the arcades was some kind of SF Master who would play at an ultra-high level. It took me forever just to rub out a simple dragon punch!!

Of course, the same could be said about the Tekken games, which I did eventually become skilled at. But Tekken just had that certain coolness factor that gave me incentive to learn, while the SF games just seemed like they would be a chore to learn.

Anyway, my favorite Mortal Kombat characters were as follows:

MK1: Sub-Zero, Raiden

- Subby had the cool freezing moves, as well as the best fatality.

MK2: MILEENA!, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung

- Mileena had the awesome sai/ground roll combo, as well as a the best uppercut in the game (good range), though it was sometimes hard to whip out against someone since I often had HP held down (for the sais). Her speed was another good asset. She even had a 100% (or close to it) corner juggle, which was a total bitch to pull off, but impressive. Plus, she had the cool finishing pose where she spun the sais around in her hands, complete with nifty Xena-esque sound effects.

Johnny Cage had the cool shadow kick, which was always fun to use, as long as you didn't become too predictable. The ball punch was also fun in conjunction with that axe kick (I believe you could finish it off with a shadow kick, if your timing was good enough). He too, had an awesome finishing pose, especially when you combined it with a fatality. He'd rip off the opponent's torso, throw it to the ground, then put on his sunglasses and blow a kiss, like a total prick. Sub-Zero was an improvement over the MK1 version, and still had great fatalities (both of them). Shang Tsung had a really fast sweep.

MK3: Sonya Blade, Sindel, Cyrax

Sonya's leg grab was an awesome move, both as retaliation and as a way to end a juggle. For some reason, she was seen as a crappy character and was rarely picked, so I always managed to impress crowds by destroying people with her.

MK4: None, I hated this fucking game.

Guest treble charged

I was a Scorpion fan for the first 2 MK games, mosty because he had the only fatality I really knew how to use.  Liu Kang was also fun to use, mostly because the fireballs were easy to use (for me atleast).

I never played too much SF2 games.

Guest razazteca

Mortal Kombat 2 my favorite characters were Baraka and Kang Lau (hat guy).  Nothing is more fun than trapping the opponet in the corner, then using the shedding attack of Baraka.

SF2 was the game that took most of my money back then, using Ken or Honda, I defeated several opponets with the spin kick & dragon punch combo.  Or the very effective triple hit dragon punch by Ken, ode to the good ole days.

Now if you can't use a 20 hit air combo your dead in mere seconds, in the SF/Capcom vs games, now thats a bad learning curve.

It took me forever just to rub out a simple dragon punch!!

I hear that, I always had trouble busting out certain techniques in SF2. After a while, I got used to it and pretty much just went into my "matches" using standard kicks & punches. The kids used to make up these rules like, certain rounds you couldn't use fireballs. Or if your opponent won the first round, you could call "Mercy" in the second round, where you'd fight till someone was near death, but in the end the loser of the first round would be given the win so that you could go onto the final round.

Guest J*ingus

It warms my heart to see so many fellow Ken enthusiasts, especially after years of Ryu holding him down beneath the glass ceiling.  

As for MK1, basically Scorpion and Sub-Zero, for their oh-so-eeeeevil "you're now helpless!" paralyzing projectile attacks.

Guest Singular

For mortal Kombat my favorite was Jonny Cage just for the enjoyment of doing to splits-nut punch.  Would have been much better if the Women would have sold it.

Street fighter was awesome.  I almost always used Sagat or Akuma in the Alpha games.  Honda's flying head attack is my favorite in the game.

Guest caboose

Didn't play MK too much, but man did I love Street Fighter.

The characters I played as the most were:

The One & Only Ryu,

The Larger Than Life E-Honda,

The Stretchy One Himself Dhalsim,

The Bruce Lee RipOff Fei Long,

and

The Homosexual Version Of Ryu: Ken.

The Larger Than Life E-Honda,

I love how they made Honda a big fat piece of crap, yet his fat had muscle tone to it. That always perplexed me. ;p His 1000 Hand Punch was awesome.

Guest Cataclysm911

I played Mortal Kombat 2 competitively. I won the Indiana State Championship in Indianapolis. I played as Shang Tsung and went undefeated.

The only Street Fighter games that I got into were Street Fighter Alpha 2, which I never really got too good at & X-men Vs. Street Fighter where I played as Sabretooth & Dhalsim.

For the record, I won the ISC for Killer Instinct as well.

:)

Guest KoR Fungus

MK1: Rayden

MK2: Rayden, Reptile, Liu Kang, Mileena (Just for that evil teleport kick!).  MK2 was great, definitely my favorite in the series.

MK3: Smoke, Sub-Zero

MK4: Rayden, Quan Chi

SF2: Bison, Sagat

I never got very good at any of the MK or SF games though, and never really played them at the arcade.  Tekken 2 was the first fighter I played at all seriously.

Guest redbaron51

I have never played Street Fighter.

For Mortal Combat I usually Sub Zero or Liu Kang, sometimes Rayden

Guest Sakura

I use everyone in MK, there really isn't much of a high level game. Kurtis Stryker, believe it or not, is probably my most played character.

SF rules, I even have some CPS2 arcade boards, but I stopped playing them more than casually a few years ago. I use most characters, but I'd say the shotos are my favorites.

Guest areacode212

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that most (if not all) of the Street Fighter arcade games are available for MAME on your PC.

Guest Redhawk

Street Fighter = Dahlsim (spelling?) for his range. Ken is my favorite, though.

Mortal Kombat = If his finisher weren't so weak, I'd use Liu Kang more often. But my No. 1 is Sub-Zero.

Guest jimmy no nose

In Mortal Kombat I used Sub Zero most often.  I always liked Zangief in Street Fighter.

I never was any good really at either game but it was still fun to screw around with.

All MKs: Kabal,Baraka, Scorpian of course, Rain, and Noob Saibot

SSF: Blanka, Guile was okay, Ken and Ryu

Mortal Kombat = If his finisher weren't so weak, I'd use Liu Kang more often. But my No. 1 is Sub-Zero.

What do you mean his finisher.......His fatality? They kill the guy no matter what....They can't be weak.

Anyway I loved........

MK- Baraka, Mileena, Lu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kano, Kabal, Sekter

SF- Ken, Blanka, Bison, Sodom, Remy, Twelve, Charlie, DJ

Guest Suicide King

SF2 - the one, the only, the cheesed-out-charge-two-moves-in-perpendicular-vectors-at-one-time Guile!!!!!  Alas, then they nerfed his cheese.

MK - Actually a big fan of Scorpion.  Gotta give mad props to any Chinese ninija willing to go outside in yellow pajamas.

Guest areacode212

I was actually a big Scorpion hater, merely because every freaking scrub in the world loved to abuse him, though it was fairly easy to counter his stuff--duck the spear and make sure you don't let him deep jump-kick you (so he can't juggle you).

As for Liu Kang's "weak" finisher, I think he's referring to the fact that his MK1 finisher had no blood and didn't make the sky turn dark--it was just some kind of flip kick into an uppercut, which I actually found pretty badass.

Guest Redhawk

What do you mean his finisher.......His fatality? They kill the guy no matter what....They can't be weak.

Anyway I loved........

MK- Baraka, Mileena, Lu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kano, Kabal, Sekter

SF- Ken, Blanka, Bison, Sodom, Remy, Twelve, Charlie, DJ

Yeah, the "Fake-ass Chun Li kick into and uppercut" move. I know it got the job done as far as winning the match, but compared to the other Mortal Kombat characters, it was a weak visual. Sub-Zero and Johnny Cage ripped your head off, Sonya, Rayden and Scorpion burned you to a crisp, Kano took your heart. Liu Kang just kicked your ass some more.

I didn't play Mortal Kombat that much, but whenever I did, I usually used Scorpion. In the sequels, I was a huge Baraka mark. I loved the knives in his arms.

I played Street Fighter much more, and I pretty much used Blanka exclusively, and I was pretty good at pissing people off with his cheap shit techniques. When Championship Edition came out, I used Balrog. It seemed I was the only one who used him. I guess I like the unconventional fighters.

Guest EQ

MK series... Subzero was my overall fav, but I also used Raiden, Scorpion and Baraka

SF series... I like Ken... to me he was always cooler than Ryu... even back in the day when their moves were exactly the same.  (I've always liked Luigi better than Mario too.  I don't know why)

Just for the hell of it, I'm including my Smash Bros chars too b/c I love these damn games.  My 2 favs are Link and Captain Falcon.

Guest ArkhamGlobe

MK - Raiden, Johnny Cage and Scorpion.

SF2 - Guile and Ken.

Guest nWoScorpion

MK: Sub Zero, Scorpion, johnny Cage (LOW BLOW!)

SF: Ken Matsers, Ryu, Guile