TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

10cc

Has anyone else ever listened to this band, 10cc? They're terrific. Their stuff is mostly straightforward pop/rock, but with really interesting arrangements and a lot of completely seamless tempo changes. The two primary songwriters for the band, Godley and Creme, wnet on to record that "Cry" thing from early MTV with all of the faces morphing into other faces. I think they also directed a Duran Duran video. They're most famous Stateside for the songs "I'm Not In Love" and the somewhat similarly-titled but inferior "The Things We Do For Love." I would recommend their self-titled first album and, more specifically, the songs "Rubber Bullets," "The Dean & I," and "Headline Hustler." Their second album, Sheet Music, is also worth hearing. On a scale of 1 to 10, with Bryan Adams at one end and Supertramp at the other, I would give 10cc a strong 8. Listen and you will agree.

I'm a big 10CC fan from way back. Though I would have thought most people would be pretty familiar with Rubber Bullets?

It was a big hit over here, anyway.

Agree with your assessment on the Bryan Adams-Supertramp scale, though I may drop them back to a strong 7.

Not a big fan of Cry, though.

They're ok, from what I know the songwriter(s) were using interesting arrangements for the time but ran into a lot of anti-semetism in the industry before forming 10cc so didn't really make it as big as they could have.