TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Today's the decisions day....cave into Luca$'s and buy the damn things or hold out.

I'm leaning towards the big cave.

The guy I share my classroom with disagrees.

But he owns Star Wars on VHS.

In fullscreen.

As he put it: "I'm not missing anything from the extra stuff on the sides, and if the tape wears out I can buy another one."

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

I started doing the research to convince him that DVD > VHS and widescreen > fullframe, but then I ran into this exciting article from five years ago...

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.8.24.112921.289.html

Fucking hell???? I've had a DVD player since 1999. Of course its better.

I hope whoever wrote that article went blind so they could never watch another movie again, because it sounds like they don't deserve to.

There was also this 2001 gem...

http://www.fims.uwo.ca/newmedia/newmedia20...Issue1/dvd.html

...which featured these magnificent quotes:

If a movie as futuristic as the first Star Wars is just coming out on DVD, it may be quite some time before Blazing Saddles, Smith's favourite comedy, is available.

Interesting logic, but you underestimated the stubborn jackassery that is George Lucas.

David Smith adds two or three movies every pay cheque to the video collection he started in 1994. But with DVDs flooding the market, his videotapes risk becoming extinct.

But Smith isn't concerned about the new technology taking over. "I think DVD is a novelty; we'll see in five years if it's popular," he said.

The year 2006 mocks you.

I got the tin set for 45 so this puts my sets of OT to 4

1992/3- Original Box Set

1997 - SE

2004- DVD

2006- Tin

The only thing I want is the From Star Wars to Jedi on disc

Earlier today I brought the Ep IV DVD to my computer room to see if the two AAA batteries I found worked for my Xbox DVD remote. Unexpected surprise: I was given the option of playing a Lego Star Wars II Xbox demo.

Wow, that is a riot.

In fact, the actual peer-reviewed evidence tends to point the other direction. In a recent study by Brown University, one hundred students were shown a clip of the movie "Big Momma's House" on VHS and then were shown the same clip on DVD. The students were not told which clip was which format. They were then asked which of the two clips had better video quality, or if they were about the same. Nearly two-thirds of the students (63%) thought that there was no difference. Of the remaining students, 19% thought that the VHS tape looked better! In other words, the students with a preference (narrowly) favored the image quality of the "inferior" VHS clip!

Yeah, I don't believe that. Were they showing 5 year olds or something?

1992/3- Original Box Set

1997 - SE

2004- DVD

2006- Tin

Where'd you find the tin set for 45?

1992/3- Original Box Set

1997 - SE

2004- DVD

2006- Tin

Where'd you find the tin set for 45?

I had 15 in Rewards Zone Gift Certs to drop it down.

I need a little help from my fellow Star Wars geeks, as I lent my dvds to a cousin of mine so I can't look directly for the info I need: I'd like a transcript of the Yoda monologue from Empire Strikes Back, the one he gives to Luke after he fails to pull the X-Wing from the swamp. It goes someting like "Judge me by my size, do you? As well you should not, for my ally is The Force, and a powerful ally it is." It may start with some other lines or something, and ends right before Luke says "You ask for the impossible."

Yes, yes, I know, shame on me for not knowing those lines by heart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is it where he goes into the force being inside everything? the rock, the tree, the ship, etc? "It's surrooooounds us...and binds us"? He also says something about going beyond such crude matter as he pinches Luke's shoulder?

I need a little help from my fellow Star Wars geeks, as I lent my dvds to a cousin of mine so I can't look directly for the info I need: I'd like a transcript of the Yoda monologue from Empire Strikes Back, the one he gives to Luke after he fails to pull the X-Wing from the swamp. It goes someting like "Judge me by my size, do you? As well you should not, for my ally is The Force, and a powerful ally it is." It may start with some other lines or something, and ends right before Luke says "You ask for the impossible."

Yes, yes, I know, shame on me for not knowing those lines by heart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Look at me, judge me by my size, do you? And where you should not, for my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us... and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere! Yes, even between the land and the ship."

That is why you fail.

The non-anamorphic OT transfers don't look great, but pretty good considering you have to blow them up and cut off the top and bottom for viewing on a 16:9 TV. The desire for pure picture quality was shot the second I saw those square boxes around the spaceships.

Star Wars stamps!

WASHINGTON -- Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi will do battle one more time — and the emperor, Han Solo, Princess Leia and others will join in the struggle. A set of 15 stamps commemorating the Star Wars movies will be released in May, the Postal Service said Wednesday.

And people will get to vote on their favorite from the set, which will be reissued in late summer or early fall as a single stamp, said David Failor, director of stamp services at the post office.

"We're hoping that it really grabs a lot of attention. There are certainly a lot of Star Wars fans out there," Failor said in a telephone interview.

The 41-cent stamps will be released May 25. The price of sending a letter goes up to that rate on May 14.

Failor said issuing a Star Wars stamp had been considered previously in the "Celebrate the Century" stamp series, and the advisory committee that selects stamp subjects recently decided to revive the idea for the 30th anniversary of the release of the first Star Wars film.

The 15 stamps will be issued on a single sheet that resembles a movie poster. Once the stamps are available, people who want to vote for their favorite will be able to do it online at http://www.uspsjedimaster.com.

Individual stamps feature:

— Darth Vader.

— Yoda.

— Obi-Wan Kenobi.

— Han Solo and Chewbacca.

— Anakin Skywalker fighting Obi-Wan Kenobi.

— Queen Padme Amidala.

— Luke Skywalker.

— Princess Leia Organa with R2-D2.

— Emperor Palpatine.

— Darth Maul.

— Imperial Stormtroopers.

— Boba Fett.

— The Millennium Falcon.

— An X-wing fighter.

— C-3PO.

See the stamps here.

Guest Vitamin X

I'd seen a couple around downtown here. They're pretty awesome.

Also, I voted for the stormtrooper one. I think it looks the best in stamp form.

Not much of a selection there. No Gonk, Salacious Crumb or Ice Cream Maker Man.

Oh wells, I'm voting Yoda. Into the mailbox he must go.

see, that was a big measure of dispute for me...Obi-Wan has been around R2-D2 for years and years through many a mission...I would guess he pretends to not know R2-D2, for some odd reason?

see, that was a big measure of dispute for me...Obi-Wan has been around R2-D2 for years and years through many a mission...I would guess he pretends to not know R2-D2, for some odd reason?

He never OWNED R2-D2 though, which is what he was saying.

Or that's my guess anyway.

Obi-Wan also claims that Darth Vader didn't just betray and murder Luke's father, but was also a pupil of his before he turned to evil, the latter of which is a hard fit into the "certain point of view" speech that Kenobi mentions in ROTJ.

One can find all kinds of little inconsistencies between the old and new trilogies.

Obi-Wan would claim that Vader and Anakin are two different people.

At the end of ROTS, Yoda says he fails. Is it really Yoda who fails or the way of the Jedi?

Guest Vitamin X
At the end of ROTS, Yoda says he fails. Is it really Yoda who fails or the way of the Jedi?

I think Yoda is placing the blame on himself, not the Jedi. It's possible he feels he should've taken the responsibility for Mace Windu's death, and not seeing that not only was Anakin now Palpatine's dark apprentice, but that he did so under the guise of being an object of destiny for the Jedi, which is where Yoda probably feels worst about, considering he thought he wouldn't betray the Jedi and held firm to his beliefs, while Windu didn't trust him.

That was my first thought.

How come it takes over 20 years to built the first death star, yet between ANH and ROTJ the second one is almost complete?

Guest Vitamin X

Maybe the one in A New Hope was actually the second, and we'll see a death star sometime on that show that's coming in between ROTS and ANH.