TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

I still hate the fact that Yoda gave up during his battle with Palpatine when neither guy really had an advantage over the other. It just doesn't seem right that he would take off and go into hiding like that.

Also, a new gripe I have was how they just conveniently toss in the coming back as a ghost thing at the end of ROTS. I know the book goes into great detail on it, which is great, but the movie just kinda tosses it out there, last minute, out of the blue...almost like, oh yeah by the way, we better get this MINOR detail outta the way quick!

The more I watch the prequels, the more I realize what a hack George Lucas really is.

I don't mind the overall jist of the prequels. I try not to pay too much attention to details with those three otherwise I really start to go overboard. That said, the only parts I really enjoy watching are from Episode 3. First when Mace tries to arrest Palpatine and their fight breaks out which ends in Mace's death, Palpatine getting deformed, and Anakin officially going Dark. Then the final fight between Obi Wan and Vader. Vader's really the only character who has ever mattered to me ever since I was a wee lil kid, so these two transitional points are the most important parts of the prequels, IMO.

I would guess he pretends to not know R2-D2, for some odd reason?

I think I may have said this before, but I think it's cuz Obi-Wan is in hiding. If he was caught, he was gonna get killed; no use tipping his hand when, for all he knew, R2-D2 had been reprogrammed or something.

but was also a pupil of his before he turned to evil, the latter of which is a hard fit into the "certain point of view"

How is that so hard to fit? He WAS Obi-Wan's apprentice. Then he turned evil.

That was my first thought.

How come it takes over 20 years to built the first death star, yet between ANH and ROTJ the second one is almost complete?

I read or heard somewhere that the reason for the slow build on the first one was labor disputes and such.

The more I watch the prequels, the more I realize what a hack George Lucas really is.

Agreed.

And by "The more I watch" I mean "the first time I ever saw Episode 1."

I fear that George Lucas is going to continue to put himself deeper into this hole of continuity errors due to all the prequesls, sequels and in betweens he has going on.

I didn't even know this was coming- I thought the cartoons were really well done, so I'm pretty hesitant to see the Clone Wars revisited.

I also really enjoyed the Clone Wars cartoons so I'll be hesitant to see this one, 'specially due to the animation style they've chosen. I'd rather they'd just stuck with what worked for them in the first place.

I fear that George Lucas is going to continue to put himself deeper into this hole of continuity errors due to all the prequesls, sequels and in betweens he has going on.

You do realize that there's an entire star wars expanded universe with novels, comics, guides and even game instruction booklets that have to follow canon, right?

You do realize that there's an entire star wars expanded universe with novels, comics, guides and even game instruction booklets that have to follow canon, right?

well that's along the lines of what I'm saying, but hasn't he already fucked a lot of that so called canon up? There are things in the Thrawn trilogy alone that were negated thanks to the prequels.

well that's along the lines of what I'm saying, but hasn't he already fucked a lot of that so called canon up? There are things in the Thrawn trilogy alone that were negated thanks to the prequels.

Well, since he's the be-all, end-all on everything, he can usually just explain away any discrepancies. But honestly, I get the impression that he wants to call himself a filmaker more than a writer, and as such he almost seems to detest it when he's asked to explain the details.

Yep. Basically, he takes whatever he ideas he likes from the EU and kinda ignores the rest. Hey, if he wants to expose himself as a shitty writer (although there are some poor EU stories that I don't think even Lucas could touch in terms of crap), that's not my problem.

I'll probably pick this up on DVD as I can rarely find time to watch these series' when they actually air. The animation style is alright for computer generated stuff, but I do prefer the Tartakovsky-driven original series.

Ok just a general question here. I love the Star Wars movies, well Episodes III-VI anyways, but I was reading some stuff about the expanded universe tonight and was wondering if anyone knew any websites with info on whats going on there and about the characters. Thanks.

Wookiepedia

As far as the continuity issue goes, the director of this thing was a pretty harcore SW geek even before being hired by Lucas (Plo Koon Cosplayer--make of that what you will), and Randy Stradley (who's in charge of all the Dark Horse shit) is involved and writing some episodes, so hopefully there won't be too many headaches. But as always, Lucas has the final say, and he's fully capable of screwing anything up, so who knows.

K'Kruhk just better have his fucking hat.

Wow what a massive rip off of Wikipedia. This is perfect! Thanks for the help.

So I've read some of the expanded Universe books, mainly the the Heir to the Empire series, Truce at Bakura and some of the Bounty Hunter tales, where do I go from there?

So I've read some of the expanded Universe books, mainly the the Heir to the Empire series, Truce at Bakura and some of the Bounty Hunter tales, where do I go from there?

First off, I'd recommend anything from Zahn, Stackpole or Allston. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy is OK, but not a must read. He's not a great writer, but this set of books ties in a lot with other EU stuff.

New Jedi Order - looking back, you don't have to read all 18 books, but if you want to sample, then read: Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star By Star, Traitor, The Final Prophecy and The Unifying Force. Or, you could buy the Star Wars Chronology to find out what happened.

The current series, Legacy of the Force, has been pretty good so far, and has started to set the stage for what happens in the Star Wars: Legacy comic, which btw sucks ass.

Shadows of The Empire and The Courtship of Princess Leia are pretty good reads.

Shadows of The Empire and The Courtship of Princess Leia are pretty good reads.

Yeah, forgot to mention I have those ones too. Infact, it was Shadows of the Empire that got me into buying the Expanded Universe books. I got a free sample of the book with the Official Nintendo Magazine when the game came out on the n64 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestions starvenger, I'll look into the New Jedi Order series.

X-Wing series (excellent series, probably my favorite of any of the SW books. Plus it has at least a couple of characters who become important in the EU). Specter of the Past and Vision of the future is a 2 book miniseries that helps set up a lot of the Jedi Order stuff (not ther series, more like how Luke ends up the way he does).