TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Who will win the general election then?

Who will be Prime Minister on Friday?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be Prime Minister on Friday?

• Tony Blair
    • Michael Howard
    • Charles Kennedy
    • The Legalise Cannabis Alliliance Leader(Fingers crossed :) )

Guest Essa_Angelico

Personally I hope for the Lib Dems to win(hey they've got a good chance this year).

However Labour will most likly win, unless events take a random turn and the Monster Raving Looney Party gets elected.

If Labour wins Blair will have a very big struggle to regain the trust of the British people. However it is speculated that he may give the leadership to Gordon Brown, so it might not be that bad.

So my guess is Blair, but not for too long.

I've already postal voted Conserative, got to get Blair out

I know British politics are different than ours, but I got a chuckle out of INXS voting Conservative. So what exactly do the Tories stand for these days anyway?

Way to go.. you voted for the one British party that was more for the Iraq War than Labour.

:lol:

A shame the rest of the people against Blair will vote for the LibDems

It looks like the Conservative candidate, Howard, is doing a Kerry on the war. His party voted overwhelmingly for it and now he is criticizing Blair for his conduct in leading the country to war.

Way to go.. you voted for the one British party that was more for the Iraq War than Labour.

:lol:

A shame the rest of the people against Blair will vote for the LibDems

I saw a video where John Cleese endorsed the Liberal Democrats, so I like them.

Guest INXS

Howard and the Tories supported the decision to go to war based on the "facts" that Tony Blair gave to Parliament. Now that it has been proven that Blairs facts were distorted at best and blatant lies at the worst, the conservatives are calling him out on it.

The main reasons I am voting conservative are:

1,000 extra police officers (as oppossed to the useless community officers)

More jails and tougher sentences for criminals (sick of people being fined or given light sentences)

Cut in council tax for pensioners (good for the old folk I know)

Limit of immmigrants/assylum seekers

Matron in charge of hospital wards - my mum was infected by a hospital bug, it's not nice.

I am not voting Labour because my council tax has risen over 100% in the last two years. Crime is up and criminals get treated softly with tagging and asbos and fines that they dont pay anyway. Also Labour lied to parliament and the people about the facts surrounding Iraq.

All the parties are launching a last frantic grab for votes on the final day of the UK election campaign.

Labour leader Tony Blair is continuing his warnings about the Conservatives by claiming they would risk the economy and investment in public services.

Tory leader Michael Howard has used a campaign rally to promise that his party could deliver hope to a Britain saddled with a "failing" government.

Charles Kennedy predicted the Lib Dems would take a "massive step forward".

Postal votes

A new Times/Populus tracker poll suggests Labour support is 41%, the Conservatives 27% and the Lib Dems 23%.

That is the worst Tory poll showing of the campaign, but the party insists the picture is different in marginal constituencies.

The party leaders are on another blitz of those tightly-fought seats on Wednesday.

Tony Blair says the economy is at stake

Even though it is not yet polling day, party workers have been allowed to watch election officials check the validity of postal votes already received.

BBC Newsnight political editor Martha Kearney said one Labour special adviser had said the numbers of postal votes so far suggested the party could lose several marginal seats.

The entire Cabinet turned out to begin the party's final day of campaigning in the marginal Finchley seat - a scene reminiscent of the New Labour manifesto launch.

Mr Blair said his party would be out campaigning in every part of the country until polls close on Thursday and he, along with Gordon Brown, Margaret Beckett, Jack Straw and John Prescott, stressed that the economy was the key election issue.

'Place to start'

Earlier on BBC Radio 4's Today programme the prime minister was quizzed about people's trust in him in the wake of the case he made for war with Iraq.

He acknowledged it was an issue, saying: "Sometimes it's easier to play the man rather than the ball."

But he insisted it was "vital" that in the wake of the 11 September 2001 terror attacks on the US, western leaders took a different attitude to weapons of mass destruction because of the potential for vast numbers of fatalities if terrorists used them.

He said that Iraq was "good place to start" as it had a history of broken UN resolutions, and would provide a warning to other states with WMD.

Mr Blair went on to say that he wanted to be at the heart of reforming the welfare state for the 21st century and argued that after two terms in office he was more capable of offering the country a "good and certain future".

Protest worries

The Conservatives are using advertisements in four national newspapers to promote their "timetable for action".

They say voters are fed up with being let down by politicians and set out the dates when a Conservative government would deliver on eight key priorities.

Charles Kennedy says Labour has cried wolf over the Tory threat

Mr Howard is visiting Surrey, East Anglia and Yorkshire, highlighting his plans for controlled immigration, cleaner hospitals, school discipline, lower taxes and more police.

He told BBC Breakfast that he had wanted to spend the closing hours of the campaign talking about what he might do in government but instead he was faced with the prime minister "lying" about Conservative plans.

He said a Labour election broadcast claimed Tories would introduce charges for hospital operations but "I can categorically say we will not".

HAVE YOUR SAY

If you don't vote, don't complain if you get a government you didn't want

Rob, Kirkcaldy, Fife

Send your comments

Mr Howard added: "It is not telling the truth that makes politics seem negative, that makes people think all politicians do not tell the truth."

On Tuesday he said his approach to public services was centred around "trusting the professionals, not the politicians".

And he claimed Labour had wasted taxpayers' money without getting real results.

Lib Dem leader Mr Kennedy used his eve-of-poll news conference to argue the election should be about what kind of country voters want.

'Real alternative'

"The Liberal Democrats have been positive and set out real solutions to the problems people face," he said.

He highlighted his party's promises to replace council tax with a local income tax, provide free personal care for the elderly, increase pensions for over-75s and cut class sizes.

Mr Kennedy claimed Labour's warnings about the impact of voting Lib Dem show it is running scared of his party.

He said the Lib Dems offered the "real alternative" and could beat Labour in its back yard.

"Let's have none of this Tony Blair nonsense," he said. "He has cried wolf one too many times with the British public."

Howard and the Tories supported the decision to go to war based on the "facts" that Tony Blair gave to Parliament. Now that it has been proven that Blairs facts were distorted at best and blatant lies at the worst, the conservatives are calling him out on it.

Wasn't this GWB's excuse too? Not necessarily wrong facts from Blair, but loose evidence to enter a war that they were planning for a while anyway? All it takes is common sense to realize the Iraq War was not justified, and the Tories should have known that too.

I saw a video where John Cleese endorsed the Liberal Democrats, so I like them.

Another reason to love John Cleese. I would have voted LibDem if I had organized my overseas voting ballot in time. I guess i'll remain content trying to keep the Conservatives out of power here in Canada.

Wasn't this GWB's excuse too? Not necessarily wrong facts from Blair, but loose evidence to enter a war that they were planning for a while anyway? All it takes is common sense to realize the Iraq War was not justified, and the Tories should have known that too.

Actually, that was Kerry's excuse. Dubya's excuse is, "Well, only every intelligence agency in the goddamn world was saying they were dangerous!" My belief is that even if that is so, he seems to be dodging the issue that as the guy who spearheaded the war, he's responsible for this like this just as much as he is nice things like elections, and he refuses to take responsibility for the less PR-friendly parts of his decision.

Another reason to love John Cleese. I would have voted LibDem if I had organized my overseas voting ballot in time. I guess i'll remain content trying to keep the Conservatives out of power here in Canada.

You're allowed to vote for the UK election?

Howard's track record speaks for itself. Anyone who votes for the Conservatives is just asking for trouble.

INXS, nice to see you gave reasons for why you voted Conservative. But you're in for dissappointment.

1,000 extra police officers

This is the same guy who REDUCED police numbers to cut costs back when he was Home Secretary.

More jails and tougher sentences for criminals

Violent crime rose EVERY year that he was Home Secretary. EVERY year.

Limit of immmigrants/assylum seekers

This reeks of jumping on the bandwagon in every way.

Matron in charge of hospital wards

And the death of the NHS.

He was against minimum wage. He was for rail privatisation. When he had any measure of power, this country has been in horrendous states.

I hope all the people who vote Conservative because of Blair and Iraq are happy if Howard gets in and the country goes (even more) to shit. Because it will. I'm no Blair fan, but Michael Howard as PM would be the worst thing that could happen to Britain.

*rant over*

KC said pretty much everything I was going to say about the Tories.

On asylum, I do like that they think a limit on immigrants is some massively original concept.

They've tried hard to appear reasonable and electable, but the idea Howard would make a competent PM is pretty laughable. Even the idea of him being party leader would have been a joke 5 years ago.

Plus they've not explained how they'd pay for any of their spending increases.

Iraq is hardly an issue now. There's no point the Tories pretending they would have done anything differently.

I'd go Lib Dems, but I want my local area to stay Labour.

You're allowed to vote for the UK election?

Yes, I have British citizenship.

I voted Lib Dem on principal, but I'd rather Labour than the tories simply for the economy. The conservatives are fucking useless with it. People should know that by now. I don't like Blair but Gordon Brown does a solid job.

I think the Lib Dem's would have been my folks' choice, apart from the fact they're still the 'third' party and they don't want to risk a vote for Lib Dems equalling one less for Labour, equalling a better chance of the Tories getting in.

I looked into some stuff about the parties, and it seems like the LibDems are the ones who want to scale back government and make it less invasive, so that's cool with me.

Uh...Czech.

You do know LibDem is short for Liberal Democrats, right?

And that they are the furthest left of the three? And that they want to raise taxes?

Guest INXS

Well, Labour won albeit with a much less majority.

Howard, leader of The tories, has announced his intention to stand down as leader.

Lib Dems made headway but that didn't translate into actual seats, fairly predictable. I must express my disgust that the BNP got about 1,000 votes in Blunkett's Sheffield constituency.

I looked into some stuff about the parties, and it seems like the LibDems are the ones who want to scale back government and make it less invasive, so that's cool with me.

Uh...Czech.

You do know LibDem is short for Liberal Democrats, right?

And that they are the furthest left of the three? And that they want to raise taxes?

I thought they were in the middle and Labour was the left.

I thought they were in the middle and Labour was the left.

Yes, traditionally they are but, they have drifted slightly left in the last 10 years whilest Labour have moved a lot to the right in the last 10 years, since Blair became leader.

Hence now the Lib Dems are slightly more left of Labour.

The Lib Dems also have a tendancty to act very leftist in seats they hope to win off Labour and be seen as a centre party when fighting the conservatives.

I feel its impossible anymore to win any western election left of centre

its funny, now that the US presidential and UK general elections have been completed, the difference between the two countries, Bush was reelected with(i think) a bigger share of the vote and more electoral points, and Tony Blair lost nearly 120 seats and was elected with the worst share of the vote in history(36.4%), if he hadnt won such a massive majority in 1997(179 seats which is fucking huge, a Government can operate comfortably with a majority of 20-25), Thatchers majority was about 50 for the 80's(except for the Falklands war, when her majority was increased to 120) and she won for four successive elections, its amazing how the vote has split three ways, before this election it was a two party fight, but the Liberal Democrats took in a lot of seats this election and there was about 10% swing of the vote to them, and about a 7% swing of the vote to Conservatives, so the UK now really operates three way politics for the first time since Lloyd George in 1922, what a weird election it was