TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LessonInMachismo

Wrestling Games

No Mercy is my favaorite wrestling game ever, but Day of Reckoning for gamecube is fantastic. I am completely satisfied by it. I would even say it is on par with No Mercy. The CAW has a lot of options. It is really good.

However, DoR2 is coming out either this summer or in September, and it is supposed to have the same storyline mode, only as a sequel. It could be better.

Guest Neuro

The best all-around this generation is probably Def Jam Vendetta, but since it doesn't really have anything to do with any wrestling names, HCTP is probably the best WWE-Related..

I remembered the only bad thing about No Mercy was the slow speed in tag matches, but I heard this remedy online somewhere, and it works for me.

IN LADDER matches, the speed drops big time. BIG TIP, just turn off the CRAPPY music! When I did that, tag matches under ANY MODE ran in normal speed! I loved having ladder matches under NORMAL speed for once.

Guest DVD Spree

Just lost an auction for Tohkon Road 2 on the N64. No biggie, since it sucks balls compared to VPW2, but it was the first time I'd seen it for sale in forever. Ass biscuits.

IN LADDER matches, the speed drops big time. BIG TIP, just turn off the CRAPPY music! When I did that, tag matches under ANY MODE ran in normal speed! I loved having ladder matches under NORMAL speed for once.

I never had the music on, ever, and still noticed a drastic slowdown.

So yeah....how about that King of Colosseum II....

I'm not paying $80+ on a wrestling game no matter how good it is.

I actually paid nothing for it. Only people who suck and can't pirate do the import thing.

Guest BrokenWings

I remember reading about KOCII before it came out, and knew it'd be one of, if not the, best wrestling games available.

Is it better than VPW2 and No Mercy?

The wrestling games on X-Box have all been crap, and not worth what they're sold for. Stay away from those.

To be perfectly honest you'd probably be best off buying an old N64 and sticking with No Mercy. Or get the rom, which, if you have a good computer, runs nearly as smoothly (the entrances are a little messed up on mine). You're not going to find a wrestling game better than that on GC or X-Box.

I have an N64. Wow, cool how No Mercy has held up so well after five years.

How are the CAWs on all these games in terms of variety? NM was pretty varied in choices of attire, faces, etc. Has any game matched NM in this aspect?

Should I just break down and buy a PS2? Or is a PS3 coming soon?

Don't bother, I have a PS2, and HCTP is not worth it. Can't stand the grappling system especially. If No Mercy were updated on a system with more power (like a PS2, GC,XBOX) that's the game I'd play.

I remember reading about KOCII before it came out, and knew it'd be one of, if not the, best wrestling games available.

If you like the Fire Pro engine & Japanese wrestling, you'll love KOCII. If not, then you'll think it's the worst.

If you like the Fire Pro engine & Japanese wrestling, you'll love KOCII. If not, then you'll think it's the worst.

That leaves me with a few questions, especially since the AKI games were somewhat close to 3D Fire Pro from the beginning.

Think you could describe the strikes/grappling system a little? NM still had that awkward crouch/crouching attack stuff that works in the game but looks really odd now.

And I think Banky was right about the collision detection. The 2D Fire Pros never really got that down. Connecting with strikes could be irritating. Top rop moves didn't have enough flexibility (a moonsault that hits standing opponents separate from one that hits opponents laying down? A little silly and confusing).

Guest DVD Spree
I've heard that Fight for New York is crap.  That so? 

Yeah, if you love the AKI wrestling engine.

Basically it doesn't play like the first Def Jam, No Mercy or VPW2. They've taken the engine and made it more of a beat-em-up – even the pure wrestling characters (rather than the martial artists, who don't play like the shoot fighters in VPW2) don't feel the same. They've tinkered with it to make it more casual, and it's for the worse.

Buy it if you love hip-hop, or if you're looking for a weird urban beat-'em-up/wrestling hybrid, but do NOT buy it because you love the AKI engine. Seriously, Ultimate Muscle is about ten times more faithful to NM/VPW2 than DJ:FFNY is.