TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaYourCar

Harry Potter Movies

So does that mean that the barkeep at the Hog's Head IS Aberforth Dumbledore??? I can't remember if JKR ever acknowledged that rumor or not.

???

Dumbledore has a brother named Aberforth who was a part of the original Order of the Phoenix. Aberforth is sort of reclusive ever since he was accused of performing inappropriate magic on goats (it's not explained any further than that in the book so take it as you will). In OotP it says that the barkeep at the Hog's Head smells like goats and "looks familliar" (Harry saw a picture of Aberforth in OotP when Moody showed him the old picture of the Order). A fan asked JKR once if that was just coincidence and JKR was real cryptic with her answer. I think she said "You're very observant" or something like that. So speculation is abound that the barkeep is Aberforth.

I don't remember that from OotP at all.

The story of Dumbledore's brother was in Goblet of Fire. The comment about the barkeep smelling like goats you probably just passed over because it held no significance to you.

Ahhh, I see. I just finished PoA but my school library doesn't have GoF, so I have to buy it or something. It is kind of weird reading the books 5,6,1,2,3.

Ahhh, I see. I just finished PoA but my school library doesn't have GoF, so I have to buy it or something. It is kind of weird reading the books 5,6,1,2,3.

Try reading them 1,4,5,2 and 3. With about 5 years between 1 and 4.

I got lucky, I didn't start reading these till GoF came out, so I read 1, 2, 3, 4 back-to-back, followed by the looooong wait for 5 and 6.

The Kill Bill treatment would've sucked. At most there's about 10-20 minutes you could've added, not enough for two whole movies. Hermoine and the house elves was awful. A book and a movie are totally different, you can't just cram everytthing in there because JK Rowling wrote it.

Actually, they could definitely have added at least an hour and a half of extra stuff. Either make a three to three and a half hour movie or split it after the dance. Whats suffering the most is the character development. Potter is such a character, because he does a lot of everyday stuff with his family and friends, as well as all the "The One Who Lived" stuff. It's all being AXED.

All that "everyday" stuff bogs down a movie. You have to axe stuff or else the movie will just drag out.

A book is a lot different then a movie, I can't even imagine how tedious sitting through that extra 90 minutes would be.

The scene on the staircase after Harry takes a bath is the only scene I think that definetly should've been added to the movie. Maybe scenes of Harry training for the third task, and Dumbledore explaining

What happened between Harry and Voldemort

but other then that, no way. The movie is fine as is.

Guest BGarrett7
It is important in OotP.
I think that is my main complaint with the movies thus far. Because of the storylines and arcs that have been cut

from the first four movies, they are seriously painting themselves into a corner for movies five and six, and I'll go ahead and assume seven, as well. I think the biggest problem is not the actual material cut, it's that there is no continuity to what is chosen and what isn't because of the number of directors that have been shuffled in and out over the course of just five movies so far.

I mean, I believe we can all agree that on the first two movies, at least there was the same director for both, but it just so happened to be Columbus who absolutely ruined them and left a huge problem for Cuaron. Not that he didn't stop in and totally knock the ball out of the park with Prisoner though, I can't think of a single problem that I have with the direction he took and the material he chose to leave out. Unfortunately, because of the timing for Goblet yet another director took over, Newell, as we all know. And it's not that he did a bad job with the movie -- certainly better than Columbus, not nowhere near as good as Cuaron -- but things were already starting to snowball against him. Snape's underlying evilness and general hatred for Harry, the backstory on Hagrid, Hermione's house elf campaign, and a whole slew of things that were relevent in

Goblet had already been rushed through or ignored in the first three movies, so already having time constraints, he really had no choice to include or leave out what he did.

The person that I'm really feeling sorry for now is David Yates. Unless he can go ahead and commit to doing HBP as well, and there is yet another turnover, what he chooses to shoot and include could make or break the sixth movie. So, unless he has signed onto do at least two movies, he is either going to be putting someone behind the eight-ball or worse yet, setting himself up for catastrophe if he isn't thinking far enough ahead.

Umm, you are blaiming the wrong people there. The material that was left in or out is because of Steve Kloves, the screenwriter.

Maybe OotP will be different because it is written by a different guy.

This is from Mugglenet.com

No Weasley is our King storyline in OOTP

Bad news for those who are looking forward to a good grudge match in the Order of the Phoenix film next summer! We've been informed that there is no storyline in the movie surrounding Ron's Quidditch hardships, nor has there been any filming on broomsticks done by Rupert. We're led to believe that this means there will be no Quidditch in the fifth film at all. We hope to learn more soon!

Honestly, you can remove the whole Ron as Keeper subplot effortlessly from the book and not loose any crucial main story points.

I just hope they keep the scene where Mrs. Weasley is trying to rid a boggart that keeps turning into dead Weasley's as she sobs. That scene was cold in the book.

Guest NYankees

The Weasley subplot was pretty funny in the book but it really isn't needed in the movie. Quidditch has also been done to death in the previous movies and now is the time to stick to the story as it picks up.

Yeah, but I was a big fan of that storyline. Ron doesn't have much and something like that was good for him. But I can see why they cut it out.

I've been rereading "Half Blood Prince" and I'm visioning Bob Hoskins for Slughorn and Bill Nighy for Rufus Scrimgeour.

If they don't have any Quidditch, does that mean they're cutting out Harry's life-time ban and Umbridge confiscating his broom? I know she does a lot of terrible things to Harry in teh book, but that was one of the worst.

They'll likely keep that in, important point of his life having his favorite thing taken away from him.

Wasn't it also that he was on double-extra secret probation after that as well and if he looked at her cross-eyed, he'd be tossed out of school? It's been a while since I read the book.

I'm listening to Goblet on an audiobook right now. I only listen when I drive because I am sick of listening to music. It makes rides a lot quicker.

Luna's hair doesn't look crazy enough

And is it just me, or does Ron actually look younger?

Luna's hair doesn't look crazy enough

And is it just me, or does Ron actually look younger?

It's because he has the same haircut he had back in Chamber. The longer hair made him look older, but it didn't fit in with the continuity of the series (Molly would NEVER let him have his hair that long).

The thing I'm shocked about is Dean. Either everyboody else is really short, or he shot up about two feet.