TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaYourCar

Harry Potter Movies

It's worth every minute of it. Though OotP starts off a litttle slow.

After the Dementors attack Harry, it just draggggsss until Harry gets to Grimmauld Place.

I will look into them at some point, but I just started reading "Thank You For Smoking", so I'll finish that first.

Guest Jacob Cross

Steve Kloves is returning?? Nooooooooooooo!!! I thought we were rid of him! Get ready for more "Super Hermione" and "Pathetic Ron". It's like Kloves has a hard on for Hermione and hates Ron.

Well, given whats going on in HBP, Kloves would be hard pressed to keep up with the character assassination of Ron and Hermione. Eventually, the movie viewers need to know that it is

Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny.

Guest Jacob Cross

No Kloves has shown hints of Ron/Hermione in the movies, he's stuck to that atleast, but that doesn't keep him from running the Ron character into the ground.

Does this thread spoiler stuff in the books and movies? I'd love to discuss HP, but I've only read/seen up to Goblet and am very paranoid about spoilers.

Pretty much, yea. I love the movies to death, and I find reading the books gives me added backstory and plotlines. Regarding the books v. movies argument, I think the second book is better then the movie, while Azkaban the movie is worlds better then Azkaban the book. I like Goblet of Fire the movie a little more then GOF the book.

As a book, POA bored me since nothing really happens and it's just endless amounts of backstory on the origins of the Maurauder's Map. Of the four books I've read, it's my least favourite. The movie is one of my favourite movies ever though

The fact that they cut the Shrieking Shack scene down to next to nothing really hurts the movie considering that in the book it was a huge part of the ending. And seriously, how fucking hard was it to fit in "Sirius is the one who signs Harrys permission slip"?

I fuckin love POA the book but also love POA the movie. POA the movie is the worst HP movie, but the best movie of the four. If that makes sense.

Ever since I started reading the books, I am very disappointed with the movies. Bob, you are in the minority when it comes to the book/movie stuff.

I don't know, POA the book just seemed so bloated with backstory and exposition, and nothing really happens in the book. Reading the book made me love the movie and Cuaron even more. He somehow turned a bloated bore into a riveting scary thrill-ride.

To me, Azkaban is a Cuaron movie about Harry Potter, instead of a Harry Potter movie directed by some guy. I don't mind the Chris Columbus versions, but in the last two movies, it's been nice seeing the directors put their own stamps and interpretations on the movie, rather then regurgitate the book word for word.

I know I'm in the minority, and I know I do it backwards, but movie then book makes me enjoy the movie more.

And the reviews for OotP are way down to 67%.

Bob, the one shitty thing about reading the books after the movie is that you might get spoiled about the 7th book. I believe it will be all over news what happens to HP, which is why I'll be away from the internet/TV/phone/anything that could spoil the book for me.

You're absolutely right Mole, and I'm hoping I can avoid spoilers for 3 years.

ReelViews called it the best of the 5, so I'm hopeful. Got my tix for tomorrow night

I think releasing it now was a mistake, and I think they realise that by moving it up two days. The second weekend is going to crash and burn badly.

I think this might top Azkaban, but will finish fourth overall.

Goblet of Fire was my favorite of the books. The end was so well executed even when being a stretch with a lack of development of Crouch Jr.'s character. The best of the films was probably POA because of the shrieking shack scene, my favorite from any of the books because I was profoundly SWERVED!~~!!~!~!

Reading Ebert's review (2 1/2 stars) today makes me think 2 things-

1)Roger hasn't read any of Rowling's books, because he truly thinks that Potter's world should still be magical and full of wonderment, and he hopes the series doesn't get darker. Uh, Rog, the lead villian is a megalomaniac who wants racial purity within the magical world, how can it not get darker?

2)When a series doesn't follow the tract that Roger thinks it should, he gets very stubborn.

Granted, I haven't seen the film yet (will tonight) but it seems that Roger was reviewing the tone of the film instead of how it worked. And apparently he didn't like the tone.

Ebert gave **** to Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and *** to Prisoner of Azkaban.

I love the guy, but when it comes to Harry Potter, I don't trust his judgement.

ReelViews, the other critic I frequent, gave it ***1/2. He gave the previous ***, but wrote more positively of the latter two.

Actually, Ebert gave both Azkaban and Goblet ***1/2, liking them slightly less than the Columbus directed efforts.

As far as me, I think I like Goblet the best, overall, the 1st one is great in introducing the world and the players. Azkaban is real good too, I've just been more into Goblet.

As for Chambers, I like it, but it just doesn't play as well for me as the other 3.

My bad on the ratings.

I haven't watched Philosopher's Stone all the way through in a while. It's a fun movie, but too long and it also just regurgitates the book which is uninspiring. Plus, the acting is really bad at times. But I still like it a lot.

I rank Azkaban first, Goblet second, Chamber a close third, and Philosopher's a distant fourth. I can't state how much I like the second book though. Even though it would've been way too long, I do wish the movie could've been a straight adaptation and fleshed out the entire mystery.