TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Box Office Report

1 - Kingdom of Heaven 20th Century Fox $20,000,000 $20,000,000 1 3216

2 - House of Wax Warner Bros. Pictures $12,205,000 $12,205,000 1 3111

3 1 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Touchstone Pictures $9,129,000 $35,119,000 2 3133

4 - Crash Lions Gate Films $9,100,000 $9,100,000 1 1864

5 2 The Interpreter Universal Pictures $7,500,000 $54,082,000 3 2814

6 3 XXX: State of the Union Columbia Pictures $5,400,000 $20,782,000 2 3480

7 4 The Amityville Horror MGM $3,150,000 $60,111,000 4 2478

8 5 Sahara Paramount Pictures $3,100,000 $61,337,000 5 2516

9 6 A Lot Like Love Touchstone Pictures $3,036,000 $18,792,000 3 2153

10 7 Fever Pitch 20th Century Fox $2,000,000 $39,021,000 5 1541

11 8 Kung Fu Hustle Sony Pictures Classics $1,141,000 $14,669,000 5 904

12 10 Guess Who Columbia Pictures $1,100,000 $67,044,000 7 1127

I know, I said I wasn't going to do anymore Box Office Reports, but hey, what the hell.

How much did Kung-Fu Hustle cost to film?

I hope it breaks even, it was something different. Note that I haven't seen it yet, but I have plans to.

It made more money with Asian releases, correct?

Kingdome of Heaven looks just doesn't look that good to me, and I like those big epic fight movies.

And so far with House of Wax I've heard from 6 people who hated it and 0 who've liked it.

How much did Kung-Fu Hustle cost to film?

I hope it breaks even, it was something different.  Note that I haven't seen it yet, but I have plans to.

It made more money with Asian releases, correct?

You don't have to worry about that. It was a big success way before it was released in the US. Its production budget was ~$20 million and it has already made ~$80 million worldwide, not counting US box office and the many countries it hasn't been released yet.

Kingdome of Heaven looks just doesn't look that good to me, and I like those big epic fight movies.

And so far with House of Wax I've heard from 6 people who hated it and 0 who've liked it.

Well, you can add me in the list of people who thought it was "ok" or "Not as bad as it could have been". Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.

Well, you can add me in the list of people who thought it was "ok" or "Not as bad as it could have been". Didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.

Dark Castle is pissing me off. Cause they always seem to make movies that are "ok" or "great opening but flamed out from there" or "ok, what the flying fuck was the deal with the talking cloud".

It would be nice if Dark Castle could take one movie with an interesting premise and not blow it. For example, their next movie is "The Reaping" with Hilary Swank. The last time DARK CASTLE hooked up with the Oscar winner for best female actoress, they made "Gothika"

Dark Castle royally pissed me off with the ending to "House on Haunted Hill". That movie had SUCH a mood of dark horror around it without overly graphic death and then it gets pissed down the leg with a STUPID CGI TALKING DUST CLOUD and a ghost saving the life of one of the character.

Seriously, what the hell was that ending?

Dark Castle is pissing me off. Cause they always seem to make movies that are "ok" or "great opening but flamed out from there" or "ok, what the flying fuck was the deal with the talking cloud".

It would be nice if Dark Castle could take one movie with an interesting premise and not blow it. For example, their next movie is "The Reaping" with Hilary Swank. The last time DARK CASTLE hooked up with the Oscar winner for best female actoress, they made "Gothika"

Dark Castle royally pissed me off with the ending to "House on Haunted Hill". That movie had SUCH a mood of dark horror around it without overly graphic death and then it gets pissed down the leg with a STUPID CGI TALKING DUST CLOUD and a ghost saving the life of one of the character.

Seriously, what the hell was that ending?

Interesting fact (or rumor): The original "House on Haunted Hill re-make" screen play was suspossed to have the CGI evil thingy posses the dead bodies in the House, creating an army of murderous zombies. Unfortunately, Warner Brothers thought it was too much like the Michael Jackson video "Thriller", and had the writers change it to a CGI ghost.

So far, there have only been two watchable Dark House movies: House on Haunted Hill, and House of Wax. The 3 other films are unwatchable dreck, IMO.

House of Wax technically doesn't fall into that category. Yeah, the first 50 minutes or so is awful/skippable, but the last 40 improves drastically.

However, overall I preferred HoHH *vastly* over it, which I thoroughly enjoyed all the way through until the ending, which was kinda cool but looked just a bit silly.

If HoW is better than the other DC ones--well, guess I may wanna skip renting them at any time in the fture.

Guest BrokenWings

Kingdom of Heaven looks good to me, and I don't like those big epic fight movies.

I saw the extended trailer a few times before movies, and it appealed to me. Glad to see it's doing well. It's not getting horrible reviews like others in the genre, either, so that helps.

Guest Vitamin X

The real shame is that Kingdom of Heaven didn't even open at half of what Van Helsing did. Even though Kingdom of Heaven wasn't that great, it's still loads better than Van Helsing. Universal knows how to market their shit, that's for sure.

Well Van Helsing in theory was a fanboys wetdream: A chance to see VH go up against the whole array of Universal's monster roster of Drac, Frank, and the Wolfman. No shock that it opened big. Kingdom of Heaven looked good in the trailer I thought but I wondered how good a Crusades movie would do with Orlando Bloom in his starring debut.

Guest Vitamin X

Probably because the majority of them don't know jackshit nor care about history?

A friend of my g/f's who's still in high school thought that there was an ocean between us and Canada. Like, that Canada was next to China. Seriously.

But I bet she could name every single American Idol contestant..

I am disappointed with the opening of Crash which one HELL of a film. Everyone should see it.

Yeah, I was thinking that about the trailer. Too much Luda, too little real stars. Plus, you can't tell what the fuck the movie is about from the trailor.

I think Crash is one of those movies that will take time to catch on, moreless word of mouth and such will be a positive for it and lead to it probably sticking around at least for another month or so in the top 10. This is kind of a bad time of the year for this to come out though and could completely get lost in the shuffle of summer blockbusters very soon. I bet it will prosper when it gets on DVD though for sure, and if this makes the Oscars (which is probably will) that might warrant a re-release or something

Wow did HoW hit the shitter.

I'm sorry, but I'm not too sure about you guys, but the theatre I saw it at sucked.

Over half the scenes in the movie you couldn't see the actors face or lips talking, instead you get forehead and scenery.

The top of the movie is cut off at times from the shot, like something is blocking the scene.

Lastly, at some scenes you can see the Boom mic entering the picture.

The best part is (and what got most people cheering) is Paris Hilton death. I mean the plank right to the forehead and pushing down on her head afterwards, was awesome

I know, I said I wasn't going to do anymore Box Office Reports, but hey, what the hell.

Since it is SO HARD to do them.

Besides, how many have you done?

Wow did HoW hit the shitter.

I'm sorry, but I'm not too sure about you guys, but the theatre I saw it at sucked.

Over half the scenes in the movie you couldn't see the actors face or lips talking, instead  you get forehead and scenery.

The top of the movie is cut off at times from the shot, like something is blocking the scene.

Lastly, at some scenes you can see the Boom mic entering the picture.

The best part is (and what got most people cheering) is Paris Hilton death. I mean the plank right to the forehead and pushing down on her head afterwards, was awesome

I went to HOW in fear yesterday after all the bad press I've heard about it (ended up getting really stoned to try to see if that would help) and came out of it really enjoying the hell out of the movie. It was so fucked up it worked. Very morbid scenes of gore and just general weird shit happening that at made the film interesting to me and I didnt know where things were going from scene to scene. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I thought this was one of the better horror films out so far this year *runs for cover*

The only real bad bad BAD part of the movie was Paris Hilton's attempts at acting. But it made up for it with her kill that was fucking outstanding (as were most of all kills in this movie in fact). Elisha's nips were popping out through her tight shirts during most of the scenes too, so I can't complain too much on the T & A factor here.

Sounds like it was the theater itself that sucked for the movie which can ruin the experience, I had that same thing happen with School of Rock. Mostly all of the scenes I saw the boom mic above and it was generally not focused right on the screen, the bottom 1/5 or so of the picture was cut. I ended up bitching to them after and got a free admission for the next movie I went to up there.

I hate to agree with Harry Knowles on anything, but he hit the nail on the head with his review.

"Sometimes you just have to watch someone die on screen, this is the case for Paris Hilton. Having said that - her death is way too easy in HOUSE OF WAX. This is Harry with my look at the remake of HOUSE OF WAX.

The first 5 hours of the film ( real running time: 40 minutes) is excruciatingly awful shit unworthy of even the slightest raised eyebrow. Filled mostly with oh so cute pokes at the Paris Hilton video that's online everywhere. Cuz - let's face it folks that's why we know her name. And if she's as cold a fuck as that video revealed - how on Earth do you expect her to even pretend or emote anything in reality. There's nothing going on in her character's head. And after the 5th or 6th Paris Hilton video in-joke - walking out of the theater became a viable and urgent calling.

Literally - the first part of this movie is that bad.

Then they arrive at the House of Wax - and the film becomes mildly diverting....The last part in that House feels like it was storyboarded and conceived by Robert Zemeckis (one of the producers) as it is visually inventive, exciting and fun. COMPLETELY out of place with the rest of the movie."