TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DangerousDamon

"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson "quits" ROH

May 16th: "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson has quit Ring Of Honor. A despondent Danielson told ROH officials that his ROH career "is worth nothing" because he did not win the ROH World Title last Saturday in Chicago. In fact, rumor has it that Danielson is so depressed over his loss that he is leaving the United States and Japanese wrestling scenes entirely. Danielson is looking to possibly start a new career in another field.

Credit:http://www.rohwrestling.com/MessageBoard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10810

This is more than likely some type of storyline where Danielson turns heel in the end.

God, I can not believe that somebody who so perfectly personifies professional wrestling, and is one of the greatest talents in recent times could possibly be quitting the business. If I owned a promotion, I would give him anything in the world to keep him happy.

This has to be a frickin' work. Either that or Bryan Danielson is an idiot of the greatest degree.

Guest Brian

I'm not surprised he's burned out, but it reeks too much of a work. You expect to get somewhere by a certain time, and the travel without a real job is stressful.

If this isn't a work, ROH and Wrestling have lost one of the best wrestlers in the world.

If it is, it should turn out nicely.

Danielson shouldn't complain too much, while he has never won the ROH Title, he's been an upper-midcard/main eventer for pretty much 3 years. Not too many others besides Punk and Joe can say the same.

Thats a real shame that he's considering calling it quits. Hopefully a few months away from the business will refresh his outlook on things and he'll be back as I know a lot of people love his work. However, personally I find him to be good but not someone I get excited about seeing.

Wow, this looks like a work, and I sure as hell hope it is. The guy's amazing. Pure and simple.

American Dragon Bryan Danielson is gone from Ring of Honor, as he is taking time off to evaluate his career options and may end up leaving professional wrestling. Danielson, a superb in-ring performer, is said to have become increasingly frustrated with the business and is going to travel in Europe for the summer. It's possible he may end up working some shows from Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling, which runs small shows in the UK, but beyond that he has no real intentions of working. By all accounts, he's burned out on the business right now as he hasn't worked for New Japan for some time, there isn't any real WWE interest and you can only get so far working independent dates, even as high profile a performer as he is on that level.

Ring of Honor covered for Danielson's departure in their storylines with an announcement that he was upset he didn't win the ROH championship this past weekend in Illinois. The ROH announcement noted that Danielson may be leaving the business, which is true, but beyond that it was simply a storyline to address his abrupt departure. If he decides to come back in any form down the line, obviously the company would be ecstatic to have him.

Credit to PWI.com

Doesn't look like a work to me with this coming out.

It'd be a real shame if Danielson never wants to wrestle again, but it might turn out well for RoH. Their upper card is so packed right now that his departure might help give someone else a step up.

This pisses me off. Why doesn't TNA snatch him up? Maybe he has turned them down already.

Guest *KNK*

It is a tragic shame that one of the greatest performers of this generation and one of the very few who I believe could have seriously measured up to the wrestlers of the old days felt the need to do this.

A small part of me sincerly hopes he IS burnt out and wants to take time off because I would hate for him to continue doing something he doesnt care for anymore.

Is it a work? I dont believe it is. Danielson is an old school performer and ROH hadn't set up any indictators that he was "retiring" previously. It appears to be legit.

This pisses me off. Why doesn't TNA snatch him up? Maybe he has turned them down already.

TNA wouldn't be the right place for him. With 10 minutes tv time limits his matches wouldn't be given the time they needed.

That beard is teh shit.

It combines the sheer trog-factor of a caveman beard along with the southern 'stache. Me and Rudo say his new name should be The Souther Gentlemen, Bryan "Boss Tweed" Danielson.

Oh come on. If Kane had that beard everyone would laugh.

Wasnt Joe supposed to be quitting wrestling as well cause he hasnt had any WWE interest and while being a top performer in the world hasnt even been given the ROH belt? I never understood that. ROH does it all of the time. They will build up AJ Styles as a main eventer, go NWA Tumblestack and get Henry Jakes, throw him in 2 spotfests and have him win a 6 man tourny in one night to get him over with the fans and give him the belt a few months down the line. Its like saving up money for an Infiniti G35 and buying a Honda Civic. Xavier and Austin Aries are good examples. Xavier is weaksauce to me, never paid Austin any mind, but there are and were plenty of good stars on the roster that could and should have gotten the belt over them.

Guest JebusNassedar
Oh come on. If Kane had that beard everyone would laugh.

Wasnt Joe supposed to be quitting wrestling as well cause he hasnt had any WWE interest and while being a top performer in the world hasnt even been given the ROH belt? I never understood that. ROH does it all of the time. They will build up AJ Styles as a main eventer, go NWA Tumblestack and get Henry Jakes, throw him in 2 spotfests and have him win a 6 man tourny in one night to get him over with the fans and give him the belt a few months down the line. Its like saving up money for an Infiniti G35 and buying a Honda Civic. Xavier and Austin Aries are good examples. Xavier is weaksauce to me, never paid Austin any mind, but there are and were plenty of good stars on the roster that could and should have gotten the belt over them.

Utter Blasphemy.

Austin Aries is the wrestler you build a company around. He is TREMENDOUS. From his moveset to his ability to do anything in ring to good promos. Include this with a marketable look, and it's stupid to NOT push him. Austin Aries is the future of pro wrestling, and why so many people completely nosell his overwhelming talent is impossible for me to understand.

EDIT: As far as American Dragon goes, it's a damn shame this is happening, but completely understandable.

Guest Rrrsh

He is in the middle of an angle here (Pacific North West vs New Japan USA).

Its a massive work.

I thought the reason RoH didn't put the belt of the likes of AJ, Fallen Angel, AmDrag and the like is that they were much more likely to get a WWE offer and vanish, unlike, say, Xavier, for example?

Real shame if it's a shoot though. I'll have to investigate the All Star shows over here to see if I can get to see him before he calls it quits.

Like I said, I have never seen Austin but a few times.

And if that is the real reason why ROH never gave them the belt, then thats a good reason.

I thought the reason RoH didn't put the belt of the likes of AJ, Fallen Angel, AmDrag and the like is that they were much more likely to get a WWE offer and vanish, unlike, say, Xavier, for example?

Real shame if it's a shoot though. I'll have to investigate the All Star shows over here to see if I can get to see him before he calls it quits.

Dragon has had his chance with the E. He's not getting in anytime soon unless they actually want, ya know, wrestlers.

TNA wouldn't be the right place for him. With 10 minutes tv time limits his matches wouldn't be given the time they needed.

You guys read my mind. Could he be the 5th man in KotM. I cant see it and dont think he do well in TNA though.

Shame to see him go from ROH. He reminds of Jericho. A fan favourite and always thereabouts but never there.

ROH rocked with Joe, Punk, Homicide and Dragon. :headbang:

I never really saw enough of Danielson to understand the hype he got, until recently. I finally watched Chris Hero vs. Dragon from the IWA:MS (An IWA Fairytale) and AJ Styles vs. Dragon (ROH Main Event Spectacles)...and now I get it.

"Only Bryan Danielson could get away with wearing a cloak like that."

CM Punk

Guest OSIcon
I never really saw enough of Danielson to understand the hype he got, until recently. I finally watched Chris Hero vs. Dragon from the IWA:MS (An IWA Fairytale) and AJ Styles vs. Dragon (ROH Main Event Spectacles)...and now I get it.

The Hero match isn't even that good compared with his other work around that time. I liked his IWA-MS match against Cannon better. His run through the TPI '04 was also really fun. All of his ROH stuff has been really great also. He might not have been putting on "classics" in his best of five against Homicide, but it was a big step for Danielson in that it was his first feud really built around hatred and brawling. From watching the promos and matches though, you would never know that. Anyone that thinks he is a one dimensional technical wrestler needs to take a look at the Homicide feud.

If TNA does give him a chance, hopefully they'll use him in some actual feuds because as cliche as it sounds, he can do it all (wrestle on the mat, fly, brawl, comedy, ect).

Bryan Danielson is a great wrestler that I always enjoyed watching, but the wrestling world will go on without him. Once he slowly started to change his look from '04 to '05 I had a feeling something was going on. I always figured he would most likely strictly become a Japanese talent, too bad it had to go farther and he completely quit the business.

Bryan Danielson is a great wrestler that I always enjoyed watching, but the wrestling world will go on without him. Once he slowly started to change his look from '04 to '05 I had a feeling something was going on. I always figured he would most likely strictly become a Japanese talent, too bad it had to go farther and he completely quit the business.

I think well see him back leading at Japenese Revolution realising his American Dragon heritage.