TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Reviews 5/15

Guest raptor

Daredevil #33: This issue was a little dissapointing. I guess I was hoping for a bigger follow-up to last issue's explosive final page. It's not bad by any means, but it was a little too slow for my taste. **1/2

New X-Men #126 (Imperial: The Conclusion): Issue of the Week. I've been waiting for Morisson to bust out the killer intellectual mega-plot we all knew he was capable of, and he finally delivers in this issue. He's starting to write the X-Men like they should be written, and no character is misrepresented, unlike other issues. Nova is finally defeated in a unique and plausible way (and her origin is equally satisfying), and Wolverine returns to badass form by using of all things, his head. Plus, it's hinted at that Wolverine may have been faking the memory loss... as Cassandra reaches into his head and plucks out the name "James." Neat. ****

Punisher #12 (Taxi Wars: Conclusion): Best thing about this issue: Ennis and Dillon are back next month. Peyer does indeed write a very good Punisher, but the plot doesn't cut it. Gutierrez's art is fantastic, but the material is sub-par at best. I'll sum it up for you: all the villains end up looking retarded and they die. Pffff.... *1/2

Spider-Man Quality Of Life #1 (Of 4): Spider-Man is one of my favorite characters, but I loathe the monthly stuff. JMS is overrated (on Amazing), and his plots are all talk, no action. I say boot him off and give Rucka the gig. He perfectly balances the comedy/action portions of Spidey's character, turning in a simple and fun plot involving one of the most misused villains: The Lizard. I'm not convinced that CGI art will ever be a huge presence, as Salva's work is a little lacking at times, but I could see it being a servicable alternative. ***1/2

Ultimate X-Men #18 (World Tour Part III): The best of the Ultimate line, and that's saying a lot. I love Spider-Man and the Ultimates, but this has none of their flaws. Breakneck pacing and great dialouge abound as Millar kicks "World Tour" into it's highest gear. In this issue: Colossus' departure is explored, and  the remaining X-Men take a more laid back approach to finding David Xavier...only to find that he's been there the whole time...****

Marvel May Serials:

Jay Leno and Spider-Man in: One Night Only! (Don't Forget to Tip Your Waitress, Part III of III): a perfectly average closure to this abortion of a serial. Zimmerman shows some talent, but the fact that Jay fucking Leno is in the story holds down any attempt at humor. I chuckled a couple of times, but the ending was predictible and moronic. *1/2

The Brotherhood: Call of Duty (Part III): People seem to be enjoying this, but I still find it to be predictible tripe. The mysterious girl disapears, we find that the hero we're supposed to be rooting for is an amoral lecher, and in a "twist" from a mile away, the little girl shows up at the scene of another tragedy.*

Guest starvenger
Plus, it's hinted at that Wolverine may have been faking the memory loss... as Cassandra reaches into his head and plucks out the name "James."

Given that the guy's lived for quite a while, can ya blame him for forgetting a few things here and there?

Guest raptor

That got me to thinking... what if he just repressed everything from that time period? He already did it with his parent's death.

Guest Vyce

What, Morrison just now got it right?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - New X-Men is the BEST X-book out there (some people try and give me the X-Force BS, but I ain't hearin' it).  Morrison has done wonders for the book.

And Nova was ALWAYS a good villain.

Guest raptor

I didn't like Morisson's other stories

E is for Extinction showed promise, but Morisson's aparent lack of respect for the past of the comic's history turned me off. It's not "his" book, nor will it ever be.

Imperial was lacking for most of it's duration, but his conclusion showed more promise for the characters, if not the concept.

On Cassandra Nova: I never like uber-villains. I think they need some flaws, or they just look weak. Nova's end made her look weak- but it was interesting enough to save it.

Sorry I don't think like you... must mean I'm wrong :)