TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest scratch

Does anyone else think Lance Storm is overrated?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

bps21, so what if I'm an Edge fan?  I enjoy his work, think he is funny on the mic and has a good look to him.  Does that make me a mark?  

Yes.

If you can honestly say that you like Edge's ring work, and yet not Storm's...there is something markish going on.

Guest scratch

OK, mr high and mighty smark sir. I should bow down to you and worship Lance Storm.  Piss off......

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

How can you think that Edge is a better worker than Storm?

Edge has to be carried...at Summerslam he was carried by Storm...who's in ring work you don't like...

That doesn't add up.

Guest The Man in Blak

Storm's a good worker and he plays a great straight man to most of the comedic guys in the fed (possibly due to a lack of personality), but I definitely don't think he's anywhere near as wonderful as internet geeks and even Storm himself tell us.

Guest goodhelmet

I simply don't think that Storm has been put into a feud or given the amount of ring time needed to show us how good he is. The one match where he was allowed to tell a story in the ring was at Summerslam with Edge. Excellent match. If he's going to be wrestling two minute matches on Metal or Jakked every week with development talent then how can we truly evaluate his worth? Put him on a PPv with a decent wrestler, give them 15 minutes, then tell me if the guy is overrated

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I know that Edge hasn't been able to have a *** match with Regal yet.

A good worker could pull one out with anyone.

(Angle: Kane, Benoit:  Regal, Flair:  The Broomstick)

Guest Tony149

Like I said before. Storm can be good, but the writers need to give him a chance. Same thing with Edge. The writing is hurting Edge. Having him wrestle Regal again doesn't help either.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

bps: that was pretty harsh calling that guy a mark just for liking edge, and there are plenty of worse workers in the wwf today than edge.  also, so what if he hasnt pulled out a good match with regal yet? regal has a *unique* ring style, and it clashes with the majority of the roster.

however edge is no lance storm, and all it will take is one of the stephanie vignettes each week to get storm over, he has a different type of charisma, and as rvd has shown, being different goes a long way towards getting over in the wwf today.  one thing i would like to see lance do though is get a better finisher.  the superkick sucks imo, and with hbk possibly returning, there are too many people using that as a finisher.  now im not sure what he could change it too, but possibly something a bit more technical to suit the "mr wrestling" moniker somebody suggested?

Guest goodhelmet

I couldn't agree with bps more. That's why I don't think Lance Storm is overrated,he simply has not been given enough time in the ring to bring the skills. Hell, Edge and Christian are the "masters" of the ladder match and had the worst ladder match I can remember in the WWF. That's not supposed to happen. Edge is overrated. He's been given plenty of programs with decent workers (Jarrett, Christian) and doesn't bring the goods.

Guest Tony149

I was the one who threw out the idea of Storm getting the "Mr. Wrestling" gimmick. That could get him over, as it's something most WWF fans haven't seen. Hell, they could pair him up with Jerry Lynn to do a "Mr. Wrestling" tag team.

Guest goodhelmet

I haven't even seen Jerry Lynn since he called out JR at Backlash (or was it Judgement Day?)for not using him. The WWF is a mess. I have to sit through the Big Show, Kane, UT everyweek just so I might get a decent match from an undercard guy or even a decent main from Austin, Angle, Jericho etc. Lance Storm every week would be a good thing compared to the crap we are given now.

Guest The Man in Blak

Best-case Scenario:

Storm starts pimping himself as Mr. Wrestling all the way up to WM...where Benoit emerges and viciously attacks him, setting up a red-hot kickass feud that would cause a national orgasm in UzSmarkistan.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Storm and Christian are poised to be tag champs methinks.

The new Impact players?  Well..Christian is better than Credible..so I'll take it.

But why is Christian back to tag teaming when he (not Edge) is succeeding as a single star?  Even though he doesn't have 1/100000 the push Edge does.

Guest Tony149

Storm & Christian would make good tag champs. They could be called "The Christian Strom".

Guest goodhelmet

Sorry man, religion and wrestling don't mix. Just look at the wrestlecrap archives.

who else could be tag champs that you'd wanna see? Billy-Chuck, Acolytes, Booker-TEST, Dudleys (again?). NOBODY! I still don't see why they broke Storm and Hurricane up!

Guest BernieLicious

I think Storm is a good wrestler and can put together an entertaining match.  However, most fans are going to be apathetic towards a heel character who is dead serious and has little personality.

Guest goodhelmet

Watch the match at Summerslam, the crowd was actually watching the match and enjoying it. Storm gets more heat than most heels because of his deadpan style.

Guest Army Eye

I don't get why people diss Lance Storm's mic skills.  When he came out to confront Godfather, he had the best promo of the night, and unlike Austin, Rock, Vince, etc. he didn't take 20 minutes to spit it out.  

Maybe he is not a versatile promo guy, in that it's quite possible he wouldn't be able to pull off any other character than his current no nonsense, no sense of humor heel, but for the character he has now, his promos are quite good.  He got more mic time in WCW and ECW and thus got a lot more heat in those feds than he has right now in WWF.

Edge is a guy whose promos I am really down on.  As a heel they was great, as a face they are pitiful.  All he does is string together a few wisecracks about the guys he's talking to.  His promos don't lead up to anything, they never make a point.  It's just cute joke #1, cute joke #2, etc.  BUT, on the other hand the writers have not really given him any kind of character to play (right now he's just.. uhhh.. a guy with Rob Zombie music) so I'm not sure who is to blame there.

Guest Tony149

I wasn't trying to mix religion with wrestling. I just thought that was a catchy name. Now that I look at it, I can see were people would think it was mixing religion & wrestling.

Guest goodhelmet

Wasn't insulting you man, just needed an excuse to hype the late great wrestlecrap.

Guest EUX4life

i just posted this in another forum, so if this sounds like deja vu, sorry.  but lance is by far my favorite wrestler of the moment, and the last few years.  when i was in an e fed a few years ago, i had a lance storm-like "Mr wrestling" type character, and i won the hardcore title, and renamed it the traditional title.  matches had to stay in the ring, no top rope high spots or garbage wrestling with weapons,  just a straight up mat wrestling match that had to be won with a submission.  i think it'd fir his character perfectly, because it would be a mr wrestling gimmick, and it would get him heat because if the fans don't see table spots or trash cans in a ring, they'll eventually miss them.  it also fits in with his "unique" charisma, since the whole idea is that it's just a straight up wrestling thing, not a flashy style.

Guest Brian

That Pillman match is way too deep and good for someone to flat out carry it like that bps21. Regal can be awesome when someone works with him. If people cared, he could go all Johnny Saint on someone. If someone takes it, he'll brawl like a stiff motha fucka. But Regal's in a median point where he can't use the full extent of his skills but doesn't want to, nor need to, adapt.

Guest Adrian 3:16

I keep seeing people say Storm is bad on the mic. WTF? Because he doesn't cut "electrifying" promos?  His character is a straight man, he's meant to be a pompous stiff because its funny- sort of a wrestling version of Principal Skinner.

His voice and delivery are perfect for the role.  Don't confuse it for poor mic skills.  Look at his material:

"If I may be serious for a minute..."

"Don't blame Canada, blame yourselves!"

"Wooo?!?"

And don't forget his little adventure as a janitor.  Funny stuff.