TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Director Oliver Stone busted for drugs and DUI.

I didn't know if this would go better here or the Movies section. I chose here since it's news.

Police: Director Oliver Stone arrested

Faces drug, DUI charges

Saturday, May 28, 2005 Posted: 3:15 PM EDT (1915 GMT)

BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone was arrested for investigation of drug possession and driving while intoxicated, police said Saturday.

Stone, 58, was arrested Friday night at a police checkpoint on Sunset Boulevard after showing signs of alcohol intoxication, police Sgt. John Edmundson said.

A search of his Mercedes turned up drugs, Edmundson said. He did not specify what kind.

Stone was released Saturday morning after posting $15,000 bail.

A message left Saturday with Stone's agent David Styne was not immediately returned.

In 1999 the filmmaker pleaded guilty to drug possession and no contest to driving under the influence and was ordered into a rehabilitation program.

Stone's films include the recent "Alexander," "JFK" (1991) and "Natural Born Killers" (1994).

He won Academy Awards for directing in 1989 for "Born on the Fourth of July" and in 1986 for "Platoon," which also won the Oscar for best picture.

He lives in Los Angeles.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/...t.ap/index.html

Anyone who's seen any of his movies should already know that this man was hitting some pretty strong shit. Nobody could convince me that U-Turn was directed by a sober man.

I might want to mention that other than the good acting and Rodney Dangerfield as a sexually abusive father, Natural Born Killers is a shitty movie

I might want to mention that other than the good acting and Rodney Dangerfield as a sexually abusive father, Natural Born Killers is a shitty movie

Thank GOD I finally found someone who agrees with me. I saw Natural Born Killers once and hated it so thoroughly that I never watched it again. And I saw the piece of shit in question damn near a decade ago, and I still feel no need to see it again.

Thank GOD I finally found someone who agrees with me. I saw Natural Born Killers once and hated it so thoroughly that I never watched it again. And I saw the piece of shit in question damn near a decade ago, and I still feel no need to see it again.

The reason Natural Born Killers failed, other than the pretentiousnes, is it's general emptiness. It tries to be a condemnation of the media's relationship with violence, but it fails at that because it ultimately becomes what it condems. Plus, attacking the media and society's love of violence and murderers is something that has already been done, and much better, in the French black comedy Man Bites Dog, which succeeds in every way that NBK fails.

Well Stone will probably say that he was a victim of a right wing conspiracy that caused him to get busted.

Plus Platoon was the last Stone movie I enjoyed of his.

Plus Platoon was the last Stone movie I enjoyed of his.

As opposed to what, a Stone movie of someone else's?

He did write Scarface. Which I saw the other night and was reminded as to how crappy it was. DePalma directed.

Ha.

This is what he gets for writing crappy ass movies.

Man wrote and directed Platoon.

Watch your mouth, son.

One good movie doesn't make up for the rest of the crap he wrote.

I'm surprised at the Natural Born Killers discussion. In my experience it's a pretty universally hated movie. The only people that like it, like it because it's a glorification and exploitation of violence.

I wouldn't have called Man Bites Dog a success either. I don't think you really can condemn societal exploitation of violence without becoming it yourself. Like, just say "The media glorifies and exploits violence, which is bad." There, your point's made. Nothing in a movie is going to make that point better, it will just demonstrate it. Because film in any sense is an exploitative medium. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm surprised at the Natural Born Killers discussion. In my experience it's a pretty universally hated movie. The only people that like it, like it because it's a glorification and exploitation of violence.

I've talked to LEGIONS of people who think it was the kewlest movie ever. It never seems to occur to them that Mickey and Mallory are two psychotic evil fucks who deserve to be shot in the head.

I wouldn't have called Man Bites Dog a success either. I don't think you really can condemn societal exploitation of violence without becoming it yourself. Like, just say "The media glorifies and exploits violence, which is bad." There, your point's made. Nothing in a movie is going to make that point better, it will just demonstrate it. Because film in any sense is an exploitative medium. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Good call. I love film, but it can only do so much. Death Race 2000 scored the same scathing point on the media that Man Bites Dog did... and did it with the final goal of making money. God bless America.