TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Because it hasn't been done in awile

In chronological order:

Sting vs. Vader (Super Brawl 1993)

Rey Mysterio vs. Psychosis (Bash at the Beach 1996)

Dean Malenko vs. Chris Benoit (Hog Wild 1996)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko (Uncensored 1997)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho (Fall Brawl 1997)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio (Halloween Havoc 1997)

HHH vs. Mick Foley (No Way Out 2000)

The Rock vs. HHH (Judgment Day 2000)

Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle (Summer Slam 2001)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Brock Lesnar (No Way Out 2004)

I guess I have a thing for Eddie, since he's disproportionately represented in my top 10. Can't deny he was on fire in 97, though.

The finish isn't even the most offensive thing about Mindgames. HBK doing some of the best heel work of his career when he's suppose to be the face is far more offensive. At least the run ins got a pop, unlike the "boring" chants HBK got when he stupidly put the guy the crowd was suppose to be against in heat holds like the half crab. The hand work mostly played to crickets for the same reason, it's a sympathy segment for the heel. It might work had they gave the crowd a reason to get behind HBK's dickish offense but he controls for the most of the match with ease and Foley never rudos it up enough. Good match but far from a classic or the company's best.

Guest JoeJoe

Boring chants? What are you trying to do, re-write histyory? The story of the match was simple. Mankind was the kind of opponent Michales had never faced before. Foley tried to get into Michales' head and shake him up untill Michales' finally snapped and got even more nastier than Foley. That was the story. The execution was what made it gold. By far Foley's best match. Arguably Michales' best match accodring to a lot of people. And for me, the greatest North American match ever. Opinions are cool and all, but its kinda dumb when someone says Mindgames is "far from a classic".

Boring chants? What are you trying to do, re-write histyory? The story of the match was simple. Mankind was the kind of opponent Michales had never faced before. Foley tried to get into Michales' head and shake him up untill Michales' finally snapped and got even more nastier than Foley. That was the story. The execution was what made it gold. By far Foley's best match. Arguably Michales' best match accodring to a lot of people. And for me, the greatest North American match ever. Opinions are cool and all, but its kinda dumb when someone says Mindgames is "far from a classic".

Yea thats what I got out of it from watching the foley dvd. That about somes up why I liked the match and have now added it to my favorites list.

Guest The Iron Yuppie

Most of these are quite recent and from WWF/E:

1. Triple H v Cactus Jack, Royal Rumble 2000

2. Triple H & Steve Austin v Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho, Raw 2001

3. The Rock v Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 17

4. Shawn Michaels v Undertaker, Badd Blood 1997

5. Bret Hart v Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13

6. Triple H v Chris Benoit v Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 20

7. Ric Flair v Terry Funk, I Quit Match

8. Kurt Angle v Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

9. Shawn Michaels v Mankind, Mind Games 1996

10. Edge & Christian v The Hardyz v The Dudleyz, Wrestlemania 17

Boring chants? What are you trying to do, re-write histyory?

Are you? There's indeed boring chants during the half crab.

On the tape version there crystal clear, perhaps they were edited out of the DVD. :D

Foley tried to get into Michales' head and shake him up untill Michales' finally snapped and got even more nastier than Foley.

HBK isn't angry until Foley stops cooperating with his spots, not exactly a narrative in the true since.

That was the story. The execution was what made it gold. By far Foley's best match.

If that was the story the fans in attendance didn't get it either. That's why they "booed" HBK when he was being a bitch to the ref and outside of poping for the flashier spots, they fans weren't behind him when he dicked over the hand and leg in the same sense the fans were behind Dustin when he worked over Zybsko's hand at the Superbrawl tag. It was justified payback in that match while in Mindgames it's HBK flipping out because Foley saved himself from being hanged with it.

Getting nastier than Foley? Foley doesn't do anything nasty in this match nor does he try to get in HBK's head. He just gets his ass handed to him for most of the match with HBK being a dick for no real reason that the crowd or me bought.

Arguably Michales' best match accodring to a lot of people. And for me, the greatest North American match ever. Opinions are cool and all, but its kinda dumb when someone says Mindgames is "far from a classic".

It's not even a classic by the WWF standards. The sad thing it's still one of the best HBK and Foley matches I've ever seen.

Guest JoeJoe

On the tape version there crystal clear, perhaps they were edited out of the DVD. :D

There were'nt. If you actually tried hard to catch some hack at ringside say "boring" and took it as an actual chant, somethings wrong with you. Oh and I had the tape before the DVD got released.

HBK isn't angry until Foley stops cooperating with his spots, not exactly a narrative in the true since.

Thats not called getting '"angry". Thats Michales' throwing his typical fit which he did basically in every match of his during that era.

If that was the story the fans in attendance didn't get it either. That's why they "booed" HBK when he was being a bitch to the ref and outside of poping for the flashier spots, they fans weren't behind him when he dicked over the hand and leg in the same sense they'd were behind Hogan raking Savage's eyes or pulling his tights.

Match was in Philly, with a strong contigent of Foley fans in attendance. Foley had to go out of his way and diss the fans in a promo before the match. Anyway, in matches as hot as this where both men are kicking each other's asses, the fanbase in attendance forget who the face is and who the heel is. They just enjoy and cheer and boo whoever they want. Like ECW fans, a lot of whom were also in attendance.

Getting nastier than Foley? Foley doesn't do anything nasty in this match nor does he try to get in HBK's head. He just gets his ass handed to him for most of the match with HBK being a dick for no real reason that the crowd or me bought.

Foley played a pyscho in the match. After snapping Michaels turned into one as well. I can't believe I'm wasting my time actually arguing this.

It's not even a classic by the WWF standards. The sad thing it's still one of the best HBK and Foley matches I've ever seen.

The sad thing is that I'm wasting time on a nutcase,..which I will gladly stop doing right about....now. :)

Guest Evolution

This list isn't going to be very old school heavy, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance of most classics from 1995 and earlier as there's a good chance I haven't seen them. Also missing are just about every big cruiserweight confrontation in WCW, including Eddie/Rey from Halloween Havoc.

In no particular order:

Chris Hero vs. CM Punk, When Hero Met Punk (93 Minute Match)

The first match to really open my eyes as to how good indy wrestling could be in front of so few people. Unfortunately, at 93 minutes, I don't know if I'd have the patience to sit through it all again.

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat, Wrestlewar

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, Wrestlemania X

Chris Benoit vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania XX

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart, Wrestlemania 13

Even as a mark on the verge of becoming smart, I knew that this match was a classic when I first saw it on VHS.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, Badd Blood

The best of the HIAC matches, in my opinion. Foley/Taker doesn't hold up once you get past Foley killing himself (most of the match), and the Lesnar and HHH ones were awkward to me.

Low Ki vs. American Dragon vs. Christopher Daniels, ROH Era of Honor Begins

A very solid message from ROH: "We don't have quite the same production values as WWE, but this is the kind of wrestling you'll get."

The Rock vs. HHH, Judgment Day Iron Man

Favorite Iron Man match, due to a combination of the crowd heat, the inventive falls and The Rock and HHH being themselves. Kinda bullshit finish, but the crowd ate up the Undertaker's return so it stays on my favorites list.

Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer vs. CM Punk and Ace Steel, ROH Death Before Dishonor Part 2

Saw this live, and I think that might be the only way to really experience it. Nothing can quite describe the amount of insanity that was circling around me when people started throwing chairs into the ring. Amazingly, I never thought to duck during that time--I could've gotten coldcocked with an errant chair. Nevermind that the entire match was full of sick spots, massive crowd heat, and a finish that made everyone go home happy, even if the end of the show wasn't too happy.

Guest wildpegasus
Boring chants? What are you trying to do, re-write histyory?

Foley tried to get into Michales' head and shake him up untill Michales' finally snapped and got even more nastier than Foley.

That was the story. The execution was what made it gold. By far Foley's best match.

If that was the story the fans in attendance didn't get it either. That's why they "booed" HBK when he was being a bitch to the ref and outside of poping for the flashier spots, they fans weren't behind him when he dicked over the hand and leg in the same sense the fans were behind Dustin when he worked over Zybsko's hand at the Superbrawl tag. It was justified payback in that match while in Mindgames it's HBK flipping out because Foley saved himself from being hanged with it.

Arguably Michales' best match accodring to a lot of people. And for me, the greatest North American match ever. Opinions are cool and all, but its kinda dumb when someone says Mindgames is "far from a classic".

You live to argue, don't you CS? Puts a smile on my face.

Anyway, don't hold out on us. What are your top 10 favs? You've seen a lot of stuff so you should have an interesting list.

There were'nt. If you actually tried hard to catch some hack at ringside say "boring" and took it as an actual chant, somethings wrong with you. Oh and I had the tape before the DVD got released.

If you can't hear the "boooooring" during the half crab your either an denial or have bad sound on your t.v. It's not even a faint echo in the distance, there's several and the sensitive mics pick them up very well. As soon as they start, the ref talks to Foley and to his credit he quickly breaks the hold. If you can't admit to a clear as day fact that's almost as visual as it is audible than I can see where this is going and it has alot of curves and resembles a circle.

BTW, the boring chant was perfecty justified. It would be like Hogan putting Andre in the bearhug at Wrestlemania 3. What the hell are the fans suppose to do, rally Andre out of the move?

Thats not called getting '"angry". Thats Michales' throwing his typical fit which he did basically in every match of his during that era.

Well at least you noticed that.

Match was in Philly, with a strong contigent of Foley fans in attendance. Foley had to go out of his way and diss the fans in a promo before the match.

Which makes it even stupider for Foley to spend most of the match in peril.

Anyway, in matches as hot as this where both men are kicking each other's asses, the fanbase in attendance forget who the face is and who the heel is. They just enjoy and cheer and boo whoever they want. Like ECW fans, a lot of whom were also in attendance.

Not really. Magnum/Tully is a far more out of control of brawl and get this it still has heel/face dynamics and rallies the crowd behind the face.

But to the match at hand. If the crowd was all over the place why HBK got cheered when he did face stuff and got "booed" when he did heel stuff like slap the ref?

If the fans weren't really behind anyone why did Foley's shitty as it might be peril segment on HBK get far more heat than HBK's well done leg work? Afterall, there are several strong "H-B-K" chants whenever he's in peril. Could it be the crowd actually wanted to get behind HBK? Notice Foley is never get's any face heat despite being in peril for long periods of time. Yeah, the fans were cheering whoever they wanted.

Foley played a pyscho in the match. After snapping Michaels turned into one as well. I can't believe I'm wasting my time actually arguing this.

More of a weird stooge than a psycho. Hard to be took seriouisly as a dangerous psycho when your working "jumping out of the ring in panic" comedy spots.

Micheals is an angry face, it's just it's not very effective since he's dominating Foley with ease for the most part and none of his spots come off as venegful unless he was fighting in the name of The Taker or something.

The sad thing is that I'm wasting time on a nutcase,..which I will gladly stop doing right about....now

Why all the hate. I haven't called you names?

"Yes, I said said its the greatest match in North American history for ME."

For a guy who's so contempt with getting people to accept your opinion you certaintly have a hard time accepting somebody elses.

I can honestly see the appeal of Mindgames and I understand why so many like it. It's a fun brawl with a few very creative spots but it also lacks the depth, drama, and character I look for in classic matches.

You live to argue, don't you CS? Puts a smile on my face.

Glad I could make your day.

Anyway, don't hold out on us. What are your top 10 favs? You've seen a lot of stuff so you should have an interesting list.

This "Discussion" is going nowhere so yeah, I'll post a couple top tens in a second.

WWF/WWE(Kind of barebones since there's alot I need to re-watch or actually see.)

1. Bret vs. Henning King of the Ring 93

2. Bret vs. Owen Wrestlemania 10

3. Hogan vs. Savage Wrestlemania 5

4. Rock vs. Jericho No Mercy 2002

5. Austin vs. Angle Summerslam 01

6. Austin vs. the Rock Wrestlemania 17

7. Bret vs. Smith Summerslam 91

8. Hogan vs. Andre Wrestlemania 3

9. Bret vs. Piper Wrestlemania 9

10. Hogan vs. Warrior Wrestlemania 6

WCW(Still plenty I need to see or re-watch.)

1. Eddy vs. Rey Havoc 97

2. Sting vs. Vader Bash 90

3. Austin/Zybsko vs. Windham/Rhodes Superbrawl 92

4. Wargames Wrestlewar 92

5. Midnight Express vs. Southern Boys Bash 90

6. Dustin vs. Vader Clash 94

7. Stiener Brothers vs. Nasty Boys Havoc 90

8. Windham/Pillman vs. Steamboat/Douglas Starrcade 92

9. Raven/Saturn vs. Beniot/Malenko (date and show escapes me at the moment)

10. Rey vs. Dragon 96

NWA-to barebones to list. Mostly Express vs. Fantastics. )

Coffin, I noticed that you have 6 matches in your WWE section that involve Bret & Austin....but you don't have Bret vs. Austin from WM 13.

Just curious....what are your thoughts on that match and why doesn't it crack your top 10?

Dames

Bret vs. Austin, WM 13

HBK vs. Taker, Ground Zero

Austin vs. Rock, WM X7

10-Man Tag, Canadian Stampede

HBK vs. Taker, Badd Blood 97

HHH vs. The Rock, Summerslam 98

Austin vs. Owen, Summerslam 97

Bret vs. Austin, Survivor Series 96

Angle vs. Benoit, Royal Rumble 03

Brock vs. Eddie, No Way Out 04

That's off the top of my head, in no particular order, and the list usually does change each time. I've barely watched any WCW, so it's only WWF.

Coffin, I noticed that you have 6 matches in your WWE section that involve Bret & Austin....but you don't have Bret vs. Austin from WM 13. 

Just curious....what are your thoughts on that match and why doesn't it crack your top 10?

Dames

Bret/Austin SS 96 should be up there, it's just on my "desperately needs to be re-considered" list. I'm holding out on rewatching it until I can get my hands on Bret/Backlund and Bret/Nash so I can have a better view of the match in regards to the big picture if that makes sense. It could possibly fit in somewhere beneath Bret/Owen and above Bret/Smith.

Bret/Austin Wrestlemania didn't hold up for me. They were building a ton of momentum than the match seems to peak with Austin's chair shot and steadily drop off until the bell spot at the end. This is the lead in to the finish and there's nothing really interesting going on. Even the blood isn't as exciting as it should be since it doesn't really lead to Austin being put in serious peril.

Bret/Austin Wrestlemania didn't hold up for me.  They were building a ton of momentum than the match seems to peak with Austin's chair shot and steadily drop off until the bell spot at the end.  This is the lead in to the finish and there's nothing really interesting going on.  Even the blood isn't as exciting as it should be since it doesn't really lead to Austin being put in serious peril.

In the context of the match, without knowing what the result was going to be, that looks like THE most perilous situation Austin could have been in, considering it was an I Quit/Submission Match and The Sharpshooter was the most protected submission finishing hold in the past decade at that point.

Considering there's no pinfalls to take place in the match up, the entire build up was to see who would give and what it would take to get that person TO give. I would say that's more than serious peril, which is why that moment has been embedded as THE moment was Austin earned the "toughest SOB" title.

Dames

In no particular order and bound to change day-to-day:

Savage-Steamboat (wm3)

Savage-Roberts (tuesdayintexas)

Savage-Flair (wm8)

Savage-Warrior (wm7)

HBK-Undertaker (badd blood)

WARGAMES (wrestlewar 92)

Steiners-Sting/Luger (sb1)

Steiners-Harts

Hart Foundation-Rockers (Japan?)

Eddy-Lesnar (nwo04)

Guest *KNK*

NWA-WCW TOP TEN LIST

Chris Benoit and Dean Melenko Vs Perry Saturn and Raven

Spring Stampede

-This has tremendous re-watchability and its just pure fun to watch Benoit throw himself around like this and brilliant subtle work from Raven here and Saturn managing to keep with the pace. Nothing historic but just a match I always dig watching.

Brian Pillman Vs Jushin Liger

Lightweight Title Match

SuperBrawl II

2. 29. 92

-I was already a Brian Pillman fan before this match as I was captivated as a young fan by his athleticism and how he managed to combine that with a apparent humble personality. (How little did I know), I always loved his work before this but this match firmly placed him on a high status and it was my first true introduction to the quality that Cruiser/Junior/Light Weight wrestling could provide.

Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne Vs Nasty Boys

WCW Tag Team Title Match

Chicago Street Fight

Spring Stampede

-A great match was a precursor to the hardcore edge ecw was slowly bringing to the table at this point. This wasn’t something that was commonly done in wcw or wwf at this time and that’s a part of the reason it stands out so well. It also still works today despite the deluge of hardcore style matches we’ve had crammed down our throat since then. This formula has been taken and bettered and worsened since but I still tremendously enjoy this fine match.

Arn Anderson Vs Ric Flair

Fall Brawl

9.17. 95

-This isn’t a match that commonly makes top ten list nor even Ric Flair only lists. Maybe it’s because I’ve only seen it twice in my life but I still remember this match and how much I enjoyed it. It felt like a special treat when I watched this live in 1995. Maybe it doesn’t deserve to be on a top ten list but It always stood out to me

Ricky Steamboat Vs Rick Rude

30 Minute Iron Man

Bash at the Beach

-I have always preferred this shorter iron man match to the borefest that was WMXII. This was just superb work from both men incorporating tremendous drama and intensity along the quality work. Sadly it’s forgotten along the lines of Iron Man matches because it wasn’t 60 minutes, occurred before Iron Man matches gained notoriety and it occurred in wcw in 1992 when the audience virtually wasn’t there. It’s shame people are forced to remember Brock-Angle, Shawn-Hart, Benoit-Triple H and that ruins the appeal of the Iron Man match. However this is proof positive that a Iron man match works.

Southern Boys Vs Midnight Express

WCW US Tag Title Match

Great American Bash

-Brilliant match that went so unnoticed for years but thankfully its starting to gain the appreciation it deserves. This is one of those perfect examples of how tag team wrestling is supposed to be done. I would imagine Jim Cornette shows this match to his students when teaching them about the formula of tag team wrestling. Just a wonderful match.

Ric Flair Vs Ricky The Dragon Steamboat

NWA World Title

2/3 Falls

Clash of the Champions VI

-This date was a historic one for the history of wrestling. The two largest promotions in North American Wrestling and arguably across the world, put on flagship shows with a stacked main event. WWF offered the year in the making epic blow-off to its largely successful Mega-Powers program between Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania V hosted in Atlantic City while NWA hosted it’s sixth edition of its cable event “Clash of the Champions” hosted in New Orleans. The winner of the war was soundly WWF but the winner between the two main events went to the NWA offering of Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair in a near sixty minute 2/3 falls match that continued their epic trilogy. This match was simply great. A match that has been largely unanimous in its praise. The 57 minutes of overwhelming greatness still works today.

Ric Flair Vs Terry Funk

I Quit

Clash of the Champions IX

-Ric Flair’s most intense match of his career didn’t come in the 60 minute Broadway classics but in the mere 18 minute war that ensued in Troy, NY that night. The build to this match was simply unreal and the final conclusion to this story was so poignant.

Eddy Guerrero Vs Rey Mysterio

WCW Cruiserweight Title Vs Mask

Halloween Havoc

-Without question, the greatest Cruiserweight style match on American Soil. This match will define the careers of those two men and that’s pretty impressive considering their impressive resume. The action was never slow and it was full out chaos. Dazzling techniques and stuff that was revolutionary to its fan base at the time. They have attempted to duplicate this match and its no possible. This match represents what cruiserweight wrestling is all about. It is the STANDARD.

Sting, Nikita Koloff, Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes and Barry Windham Vs

Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, Larry Zybysko and Steve Austin.

WarGames

Wrestle War

5. 17.92

-Hell in a Cell is promoted as the most barbaric match in the history of wrestling. That’s simply not true. It’s the WARGAMES that is truly wrestling’s most barbaric and violent match. This match is the textbook of the chaos that WarGames creates. WarGames prior to this, it had already had a historic legacy but this edition, the last true war games showed how the match was built. Taking 9 great wrestlers (you can figure out who is left out here) and putting them in this powerful environment certainly cements the gimmick and this match. The drama was high and blood flowed like a river. A landmark match in wrestling.

I’ll do mine going from 10 to 1 as well:

10: Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle – WWE Royal Rumble 2003

The best ‘WWE-style’ match I’ve seen, this match saw both men go all out and leave nothing in the back. This is one of the matches I show to people who think wrestling is a comical joke. They change their minds afterwards.

9: Blitzkrieg v Juventud Guerrera v Rey Mysterio Jr v Psychosis – WCW Monday Nitro, April 19th 1999

To me, this was the peak of Cruiserweight wrestling in WCW. Three top-notch workers and a rookie who was still good enough that he didn’t look out of place going all out with tremendous spots, not missing a beat, and just going all out.

8: Midnight Express v Southern Boys – NWA Great American Bash 1990

I think this is the best tag match in North American wrestling history. A perfect example of how to get over a babyface team that the crowd really doesn’t want to like, and do it without making the heels look stupid. Great teamwork, moves and psychology make this the ultimate must-see tag match.

7: Kenta Kobashi v Mitsuharu Misawa – All Japan Championship Carnival, 4/95

Shorter than their match that is at #5 on my list, this one goes about 20 minutes or so, and is executed at fast and furious pace near the end, with both men just going all out with move after move after move. What makes this match stand out from your typical big move after big move-fest is the facials and subtle body movements from both men. Kobashi’s facial expressions are the best in the business, and his mannerisms are great too, and they had to the drama as Kobashi can’t seem to fathom not being able to put away Misawa. Of note is the look on Kobashi’s face as he struggles to prevent Misawa from hitting the match winning Tiger Suplex ’85 and his look of shock as Misawa hits the move.

6: Ricky Steamboat v Ric Flair – NWA Clash Of The Champions VI

The second of the three major televised encounters between Steamboat and Flair, this one is my favorite. The style looks dated when compared to the modern stuff, but that doesn’t matter to me at all. It’s just awesome watching two greats of the ring bring out the best in each other, and wrestle their hearts out for almost 60 minutes.

5: Kenta Kobashi v Mitsuharu Misawa – All Japan, January 1997

At around 45 minutes, this match is more of a dramatic story than their match at #7 on my list, and slightly edges it out. It starts off slow, and is, as usual, filled with Kobashi greatness in terms of facial expressions and subtle body movements and mannerisms. By the end, the crowd is going crazy, and so am I. They’ve had many great singles matches, but this is the best of them.

4: Low Ki v American Dragon – ROH Round Robin Challenge, March 30th 2002

A tremendous US style Strong Style match, with lots of stiff strikes, plenty of fighting for holds on the mat, and exchanges of counters.

3: Bret Hart v Steve Austin – WWF Survivor Series 1996

This was the last great wrestling match in the WWF before the style started to get really high impact, and actual wrestling, especially in the main events, took a backseat to highspots, shortcuts, and ‘sports entertainment’. It’s a real shame that their WM XIII match takes all the attention, because this really is the superior encounter.

2: Samoa Joe v CM Punk – ROH Joe v Punk II, October 16th 2004

I’m a big fan of long great matches, and this match is long, and it absolutely is great. Going into it, I was aware of all the talk it had gotten, and was wary of fully believing that it was going to be as good as everyone said. But it was that good, and more. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of the match and the wrestling involved, and this is another match to show to people who don’t take wrestling seriously.

1: Joe Stecher v Earl Caddock – January 20th 1920

Who? How? Why? Where?

A little hard to come by, but this match is totally worth tracking down. If only for historical value it’s a necessity to watch this match just to see how far wrestling has come. While it’s only 20 minutes of a 2hr+ match, it’s not only my personal all-time favorite match, but I consider it the greatest match I’ve ever seen, period. One million stars plus.

Guest *KNK*

Top Ten WWF 1985-1999

Bret Hart Vs Mr. Perfect

WWF IC Title Match

Summer Slam

-This wont be the last Bret Hart match on this list. This match is a historic match because it essentially ushered in what would be one of the most significant runs in wrestling history, Bret Hart-The Singles star. This match, some say it was over-due, Bret’s push as a singles star but this match put him on the map in a big way. Hening worked this match with excruciating pain in his back but he didn’t let off for a single bit for this match. He knew that he was to make this match be the transition for Bret from Tag Team specialist to technical expert singles star. It delivered and the match remains a bright spot in many fans, including me. They did have another match in 1993 @ King of the Ring and many believe it was a better match and Im in that camp but I believe the significance of this match outweighs the 1993 version, thus earning its spot here.

Randy Savage Vs Ultimate Warrior

Retirement Match

WrestleMania VII

3. 24.91

-Ultimate Warrior? On a top great match list? Believe or not, but he’s here and this isn’t a novelty spot. This match defiantly went against the perception that Warrior can’t work. However it helps that the other man in the ring was none other then Randy Savage. The storyline had been very good heading into this match and the added stipulation of retirement only added to it. The match started right because Warrior smartly conserved his energy in his entrance, refraining from his usual fast paced rush to the ring instead opted to slowly approach the ring, not only did it save his energy so he wouldn’t gas as he historically did but really made a huge emphasis for dramatic purposes. This match was just fantastic and the drama kept increasing and the visual of Miss Elizabeth ringside only heightened it. In a rare instance, the burial of a wrestler’s finisher was justified here as Warrior demolished the aura of the Flying Elbow. The real meat of the match isn’t the match itself but the dramatic and admittedly tear inducing reunion of Elizabeth and Randy,.

Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, Jim Neidhart and Davey Smith Vs Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust and Legion of Doom.

Canadian Stampede

7. 6.97

-This isn’t ***** wrestling. This is the opera. This is Broadway in the form of professional wrestling. WMX8 aside, this would go down as the most nuclear Canadian crowds in history. The storyline was perhaps WWF at its best and the incredible archs that woven into this match along with the quality wrestling that took place lends credence to this match place in the lore of wrestling history. Sadly this match can be reprehensive as the last shining moment in the Hart Family before it all fell apart starting with Pillman, a close friend of the Hart family’s death just months later.

Bret Hart Vs Davey Boy Smith

WWF IC Title Match

Summer Slam

-Home Sweet Home. Davey Boy Smith, up until a magical evening in his backyard joined with 80,000 of his own neighbors was largely known only as ½ of one of the great tag teams of all time “The British Bulldogs” and a stagnant mid-card baby face with little direction. Bret Hart took the rare occasion of working as a full heel that night against the hometown Smith, a match historic for the match itself, the large crowd (a bigger legit crowd then WM3) and the aura that surrounded the match and for the mere fact, it was perhaps the most legendary example of a carry in wrestling history. Bulldog, while not incompetent worker by any means surprisingly was gassed shortly into the match likely by nervousness. Bret completely picked Davey up and carried him. Usually there’s a negative connotation to the word “carry” but this isn’t one of those examples. The fact remains that These two pulled out a better match 3 years later that went completely unnoticed on PPV. This match is Bulldog’s proudest moment and one of bret’s greatest accomplishments.

Randy Savage Vs Ric Flair

WWF Title

WrestleMania VIII

4.5.92-Whoo! Ric Flair’s first WrestleMania appearance and it certainly didn’t fail its high expectations. Originally Flair was scheduled in advance to square off against Hogan but lack of interest and sluggish house show draws in addition to Hogan wanting to go out a winner as he took a break that he would call a “farewell” match (15 years later he’s still on the “farewell” tour). That opened the door for Randy Savage, fresh off a brilliant program with Jake Roberts rolled into yet another fantastic storyline here against the Nature Boy. The attention focused on Elizabeth and Flair’s claims of a past relationship with her before Randy ever came into the picture. The heat was astronomical for these two and the presence of Mr. Perfect as Flair’s executive consultant added to it. This match was just fantastic as the master of selling brilliantly worked against the dirtiest player in the game.

Ricky Steamboat Vs Randy Savage

WWF IC Title Match

WrestleMania III

3. 29. 87

-“93,000+” attended the biggest spectacle in wrestling history, WrestleMania III and the drawing point was the larger-than-life showdown of immortals but the match that stood out and still does to this day, was the IC title battle between Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat. Knowing full well the world was focused on Pontiac Silver dome that night, these two skilled world class performers went beyond expectations and brought down the house in a surefire classic. WWF’s first Classic match under the Hulkamania umbrella. This was 15 minutes of proficient brilliance with high drama and emotional intensity.

Bret Hart Vs Steve Austin

Survivor Series

- After a long break from the ring, Bret Hart returned to the ring for the first time since losing his WWF title to Shawn Michaels in Anaheim that March in a ‘classic” (so say the wwf propaganda) iron man showdown. He returned against a young rising superstar hell-bent on ending the legacy of the excellence of execution. The return showed no rust on the part of Bret Hart. Steve Austin, languished in WCW for 4 years before being canned in one of the most cruel ways imaginable. Quickly, his stock rose in WWF as Austin 3:16 was slowly spreading. He ushered in a different breed of the “heel”, he wasn’t a big monster but instead a balls out tough bad ass defiant SOB. This match however was Austin’s chance to show the world he could wrestle and by god, he did. In one of the greatest pure wrestling matches on North American soil, these two went at it in such a exceptional match that after the tremendous ending, you stood (standing, not sitting because your ass left the edge of the chair long ago) and thought to yourself, “WOW”.

Shawn Michaels Vs Undertaker

Hell in a Cell

Badd Blood

-What can be said about this match that hasn’t already been said numerous times? This was Shawn’s finest moment as the ultimate chickenshit heel. He bumped so gruesomely you wonder how the hell he still is alive today. This isn’t a squash match. This is Undertaker destroying Shawn and Shawn’s complete desperate and frantic attempt to survive. This match isn’t designed around a couple HOLY SHIT bumps but 30 minutes of extreme punishment and crafty creativity.

Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart

WWF Title

Cage Match

Summer Slam

-Cain and Abel have nothing on these two. They had one of the greatest programs and angles in wrestling history in 1994 while WWF was mired in the controversy of the steroid trials, Bret and Owen Hart were ushering in a different but briefly existent main event brand to the wwf. They started it after their amazingly brilliant match @ WMX. This match was in theory the blow off but it wasn’t however it was 30 minutes of fantastic drama and it wasn’t a technical brilliance like WMX offered but a flat out WAR. It showed that you don’t need blood to illustrate the emotion of hatred because you could see it in Owen’s eyes. A great match with very vivid conclusion seeing Owen dangling just inches from the floor, inches from realizing his dream the closet inch he would ever reach to glory as he looked up and saw his older brother once again stand in the spotlight lovingly adored by his own parents….just perfect.

Bret Hart Vs Steve Austin

I Quit Match

WrestleMania XIII

3. 23.97

-Guess Whose Back. The Survivor Series match showed how incredible these two could mix it up in a pure wrestling match but this encounter showed how they could perform and they did it. This match is the crucial event that set off the chain reaction that changed the direction of professional wrestling as we know it. 25 minutes of intensity and a furious pace rapidly reaching to the crescendo of the legendary visual of Austin’s blood soaked face grimacing in agony. This is the standard barrier for Brawls and for emotional value and historic value. Not as sound as the previous encounter but combine that with its historic value, is why it's increased.

Guest *KNK*

Top 10

2000-2005

Chris Jericho Vs The Rock

Undisputed Title Match

Royal Rumble

-”Im not a joke”, Chris Jericho protested but the company made sure to treat it like such, However The Rock wasn’t a company player and he insisted on making Jericho look like a star and after a fantastic match a few months before this at No Mercy and a less then stellar match a month before this at Vengeance where Jericho staked his claim as the first Undisputed champion. The build for this was pretty good and this match was classic rock doing anything to make the other guy look good. Many complain of the cheating aspects and it did hurt the match to an extent. However its still a great match

Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho Vs Steve Austin and Triple H

WWF Tag Team Title Match

Raw

-It wasn’t the greatest MATCH but for one night everything felt right in wrestling as a hot crowd fully behind the Canadian Violence Connection assisted in their drive against the two man power trip of Austin and Triple H. The hot crowd mixed with the good quality in the ring with a dramatic conclusion that ushered in a brief hope for the fans and ended triple H’s run.

Chris Benoit Vs Chris Jericho

WWF IC Title Match

Ladder

Royal Rumble

-IMO, this match surpassed the standard of the HBK/Ramon ladder matches and is the new measuring stick of the singles ladder match. It showed that the match didn’t necessitate bumps for the sake of bumps. A hard hitting fun match opening a very good ppv with a few nifty spots.

Chris Benoit vs. Brock Lesnar

Smackdown

?

-The fans had salivated over the potential of this match for awhile and it finally got it on free TV in late 2003. Shortly after wrestling another good match that night against John Cena, Benoit locked up with Lesnar in a great battle that showed how it was done. Meshing hard hitting with splendid technical excellence. It was a great finish with the fresh Brock-Lock. Sadly, this was the one and only singles match these two would have.

Kurt Angle Vs Steve Austin

WWF Title Match

Summer Slam

-This match is the ultimate example in one of wrestling’s great debates, can a DQ lessen the quality of a match? Many believe it does, many point to this one as a example of the DQ finish playing along into the match. Bottom line though, leading up to the questionable finish this match was all kinds of awesome. They had another good match early in the year, so it met with eager anticipation and until the finish, it delivered. Clean finish likely would put this match in the upper pantheon of wrestling gems. Instead it stands now as a really good match with a flawed finish.

Hardy Boyz vs. Dudleyz Vs E&C

WWF Tag Team Title

TLC 2

WrestleMania X7

-Spots. Bumps. Spots. Bumps. So this isn’t technical wrestling, so this isn’t PURE wrestling however this is one of the shining adventures in wrestling. 20 minute thrill ride with awe-inspiring bumps and thrilling crashes. They had a few of these and this one seems to be the IT one of the bunch.

Chris Benoit Vs Shawn Michaels Vs Triple H

World Title Match

WrestleMania XX (4)

3. 14.04

-As flawed as the reasoning was for the match and the horrible build this match suffered, bottom line was when it was game time, it performed. The second best triple threat of all time, built off the incredible MSG crowd. Intensity was defined here and they found ways to work through the inherently inconsistent formula of the gimmick and it hit an absolute peak with the emotionally lifting conclusion that will likely live on in the minds of wrestling fans for years to come.

Brock Lesnar Vs Eddy Guerrero

WWE Title

No Way Out

2. 15 .04

- The match that showed us that Eddy Guerrero belongs at the top and so does Brock Lesnar. The story wasn’t that enthralling in the sense it was a rushed storyline loosely pushing eddy’s past. With another month of better booking, this could have been legendary however, its merely just “A really fucking good match”. The story told in the ring was just excellent and Brock was really great as the nasty vicious heel and eddy with his incredible baby work here playing to crowd almost perfectly. The Goldberg interference didn’t affect the match at all or else it would have greatly de-valued the match. A emotional win here like no other.

Steve Austin Vs The Rock

WWF Title

WrestleMania X7

-The last stand. This is where wrestling’s boom concluded and fittingly it was with the two biggest names of that boom, Steve Austin and the Rock. This was a WM rematch of their less then stellar showdown at WM15 but this was 2001 and Austin was on his remarkable drive at this point and the rock, tremendously undervalued as a worker was spot on here. The crowd was phenomenal here as this match broke everything down and rebuilt it. A true sense of a epic battle raged here and this generation’s Andre/Hogan ensued in a tremendously better match. The finish somehow left a bitter taste in most people’s mouths but this was one of those rare occasions of it working into the match. The last Main event that felt like it MEANT something.

Chris Benoit Vs Kurt Angle

WWE Title

Royal Rumble

-The best WWE Style match ever. Period.

In the context of the match, without knowing what the result was going to be, that looks like THE most perilous situation Austin could have been in, considering it was an I Quit/Submission Match and The Sharpshooter was the most protected submission finishing hold in the past decade at that point.

The most perilous situation Austin is in prior to the finish is the ring post Figure Four and the "ankle break" set up. These are two very threatening alien spots that Bret's token Sharpshooter tease simply can't compete with. It's a premature climax the rest of the match can't top until the final minutes. Just look at the crowd, up until the finish that's the hottest moment of the match.

After the Stunner and the chair shot transtion, Austin doesn't have anything left that can put Bret in real jeporady or get a major reaction. He tries with the two submission holds but the crowd never comes close to buying either as something Bret would submit to. The same goes for Bret. Even with Austin bleeding, his only interesting moment comes from the standard Sharpshooter tease. Nothing that can match the above mentioned spots.

It looks like they just painted themselves into a corner. The work after the chair shot transition isn't terrible but it's nowhere near as interesting as the work that procedes it.

My top matches as of this minute, expanded to a top 15 because i feel like it.

In chronological order:

1. Tyuoshi Kikuchi & Kenta Kobashi vs Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat (AJPW All-Asia Tag Titles, 5/25/92)

2. Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai vs Toshiyo Yamada & Manami Toyota (AJW Dream Rush, 11/26/92)

3. Kenta Kobashi vs Stan Hansen (AJPW Champions Carnival '93, 4/16/93)

4. Akira Taue vs Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW Champions Carnival '95, 4/8/95)

5. Akira Taue vs Mitsuharu Misawa (AJPW Champions Carnival '95 Final, 4/15/95)

6. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi (AJPW RWTL Finals, 6/9/95)

7. Gary Albright vs Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW, 10/25/95)

8. Ultimo Dragon vs Shinjiro Ohtani (NJPW J*Crown, 8/4/96)

9. Kaientai DX vs Masato Yakushiji, Gran Naniwa, Tiger Mask IV, Gran Hamada & Super Delfin (M-Pro These Days, 10/10/96)

10. Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio Jr. (WCW World War 3 '96, 11/24/96)

11. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama (AJPW RWTL Finals, 12/6/96)

12. Eddy Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Jr. (WCW Halloween Havoc '97, 10/26/97)

13. Bryan Danielson vs Homicide (ROH Reborn: Stage Two, 4/24/04)

14. Necro Butcher vs Toby Klein (IWA-MS King of the Deathmatches 2004 Night One, 6/25/04)

15. Samoa Joe vs CM Punk (ROH Joe vs Punk II, 10/16/04)

Only about half of these would be 100% set in stone, there's no doubt a ton of matches i'm forgetting and even more i need to watch/re-watch, but overall i think this makes a pretty damn good list for me, if i was stuck with these matches on a desert island i certainly wouldn't complain.

WWF Title Match

Summer Slam

-This match is the ultimate example in one of wrestling’s great debates, can a DQ lessen the quality of a match? Many believe it does, many point to this one as a example of the DQ finish playing along into the match. Bottom line though, leading up to the questionable finish this match was all kinds of awesome. They had another good match early in the year, so it met with eager anticipation and until the finish, it delivered. Clean finish likely would put this match in the upper pantheon of wrestling gems. Instead it stands now as a really good match with a flawed finish.

I think I'm the only one who has come to like this finish over time. After it happened, I was pissed, but now that I've watched that match like 20 times, I realize that was how fans were supposed to feel. It's an example of masterful story telling and character portrayal by both men. Angle as the angry face on a mission, and Austin as the psychotic, desperate heel are both played to perfection. After Angle kicked out of the 3rd stunner, Austin was trying his best to get intentionally disqualified by using blatant low blows, going for weapons, and hitting refs. Even in spite of all of that, Angle was still about to win before getting screwed by crooked ref Nick Patrick.

This gave both guys a ton of heat, and perfectly set up Angle winning the title in his hometown a month later. Though the Invasion is infamous in terms of botched story lines, the Austin/Angle subset feud was one of the better angles in the new millenium.

WWF Title Match

Summer Slam

I think I'm the only one who has come to like this finish over time. After it happened, I was pissed, but now that I've watched that match like 20 times, I realize that was how fans were supposed to feel. It's an example of masterful story telling and character portrayal by both men. Angle as the angry face on a mission, and Austin as the psychotic, desperate heel are both played to perfection. After Angle kicked out of the 3rd stunner, Austin was trying his best to get intentionally disqualified by using blatant low blows, going for weapons, and hitting refs. Even in spite of all of that, Angle was still about to win before getting screwed by crooked ref Nick Patrick.

This gave both guys a ton of heat, and perfectly set up Angle winning the title in his hometown a month later. Though the Invasion is infamous in terms of botched story lines, the Austin/Angle subset feud was one of the better angles in the new millenium.

agreed the finish now seems to make sense, and it kept the crowd rabid for rock vs booker where they got a face win to let off steam. the unforgiven angle/austin match is motly forgotten, but it was another great match with a good finish and an emotional celebration.

i know everyone loves it, but the eddy-rey havoc match does nothing for me. sorry I just dont like it.

however also on the eddy dvd, is a much better match IMO with Los Gringos vs el hijo del santo and octagon. hardly mentioned but this was a great match with tremendous heat from the pro-mexcian la crowd and great heel work by eddy and art barr.