TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

New info about "The Montreal Screwjob"

I can see Vince's side in the matter, because he didnt want to risk Bret showing up on Nitro with his company's championship belt.  One of these days when this mystery person or Meltzer croaks, we'll gett he answer.

There was zero chance of Bret showing up on Nitro, and less than a zero chance of him showing up with the WWF Title belt. To do so would have opened up Bret and Eric to legal action that Vince would have won, and neither Bret nor Eric were going to do that.

HTQ, I agree with you 100% when it comes to Bret not showing up on Nitro with the belt. I believe that it's because he has too much character to do that.

However, while it could have resulted in legal action by Vince and the WWF, it would be a case that would take months, possibly years to settle and Vince was in BIG trouble at that time. It had been done to Vince once already by Medusa and he wasn't going to risk the humiliation of his world title. I would say that legal action had almost nothing to do with his decision. If anything, what Vince did was a legit breach of Bret's contract and that would have been a large legal issue as well.

But either way, I still don't think Bret would have done it.

Dames

I can see Vince's side in the matter, because he didnt want to risk Bret showing up on Nitro with his company's championship belt.  One of these days when this mystery person or Meltzer croaks, we'll gett he answer.

There was zero chance of Bret showing up on Nitro, and less than a zero chance of him showing up with the WWF Title belt. To do so would have opened up Bret and Eric to legal action that Vince would have won, and neither Bret nor Eric were going to do that.

HTQ, I agree with you 100% when it comes to Bret not showing up on Nitro with the belt. I believe that it's because he has too much character to do that.

However, while it could have resulted in legal action by Vince and the WWF, it would be a case that would take months, possibly years to settle and Vince was in BIG trouble at that time. It had been done to Vince once already by Medusa and he wasn't going to risk the humiliation of his world title. I would say that legal action had almost nothing to do with his decision. If anything, what Vince did was a legit breach of Bret's contract and that would have been a large legal issue as well.

Dames

Vince's ego > Common sense.

He wouldn't have been able to resist the chance to stick it to Eric or Bret, but moreso Eric.

Dames

Vince's ego > Common sense.

He wouldn't have been able to resist the chance to stick it to Eric or Bret, but moreso Eric.

Exactly...and what's worse to Vince's ego?

Having his top star and World Champion possibly taking his belt to the competition and practically put the last nail in their coffin or winning a lawsuit a year or two from now that no fans would hear about except for on the internet and in a few newspaper clippings when he could possibly be bankrupt by then. People forget how successful WCW was before they self destructed. Vince was scared of going bankrupt and being embarrassed. He didn't care about getting a check years down the road.

Think about it, the lawsuit for the Scott Hall/Nash debut in 96 didn't get settled until 99, when WWF was back on top and I'm almost positive that it was thrown out. The lawsuit was the least of his problems.

Dames

I still think he would have at least started legal action, even if it did get stopped. He hated Eric with a passion, and if he thought he could stick it to him, he would have. Eventually, common sense most likely would have prevailed, but not before Vince would have let his ego start legal action that wouldn't have been in his best interest. He'd have calmed down, realised it wasn't viable, and made a face-saving statement that he was stopping the action, "for the good of his company".

You're right, there would have been legal action. But even if he had won the case, it wouldn't have removed the embedded image out of the heads of wrestling fans around the world as their World Title was thrown down on Nitro by their former World Champion. It would have been an embarrassment to everyone in the company and potentially a fatal blow in the feud. All the legal settlements in the world wouldn't make the WWF look cool again if that happened and Vince wasn't taking the chance.

But once again...I still don't think Bret would have done it. All I'm stating is that the threat of legal action was something that Eric wasn't worried about and Vince knew he couldn't allow it to happen.

Dames

I know Bret wouldn't have done it. And Eric was worried about legal action, I know that much. If not of his own volition, then from what the reaction of those higher up than him would have been.

I still get a laugh, though, from people who think it could have happened.

The people higher up would have had the actions justified by the ratings, especially if WCW had continued to spank the WWF instead of doing a 180 the month after...

Dames

Starrcade 97 was the beginning of the end and I knew it the moment that "fast count" went down on Sting.

I really wish WCW was around, just to give us something else to watch on a national level.

Dames