TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The King

Did he know?

Guest The King

Does anyone have an opinion on this? maybe some proof one way or another. I always loved having this convo. in my history courses. Let's Christen the "Historical Events" part of this folder with a real barn burner, eh?

Guest Brian

No. You have to realize that for him to have known, he'd have left his entire Pacific Fleet out there to be destroyed. He got lucky because it was relatively shallow and many of the ships were salvaged, but he was there to deter.

I think somewhere in the back of his mind that there was going to be an attack on a US Naval Base, but to know which one was going to get attack and when was the big question.

Yeah, it was probably one of those vague "the Japanese may be planning an attack on the US fleet" intelligence messages, but they had no idea how or why. The Japanese planned well and just got lucky that they caught the US with it's pants down.

I don't think he knew either. But i don't know a lot about it.

I'd love to hear some opinions of others though.

We exhausted this topic in my 11th grade history class. I want to know if he turned a blind eye to the Holocaust.

The whole extent of the Holocaust was not know to the Allies until they happened to liberate some of the camps. FDR and the US goverment as a whole did nothing to modify immigration laws that helped keep many Jewish refugees from making it to the US before the war.

We exhausted this topic in my 11th grade history class. I want to know if he turned a blind eye to the Holocaust.

Most of the outside world had a vague idea about what was going on with the Holocaust , but had no specific ideas of how bad it truely was, and had little interest in finding out untill it was too late.

Guest Wisdom

There had been exensive knowledge of Japanas covert operations in the surrounding areas around the US, including missions in Brazil, Cuba and Peru. The U.S. knew something was brewing but probably didn't know the extent. The reason the Japanese were interned had to do more with Japanese plans to sabotage several American institutions and they U.S. Gov't had no idea how to deal with the threat. The bombing of Peral Harbor gave them a PC excuse for interning US Citizens.

I still think that FDR used Pearl Harbor as an excuse to get the US into World War II, thus opening up new factory jobs and such, helping to get the country back on its feet again. But I'm a conspiracy theorist.

I believe that FDR was looking for a way to get into the war. And I believe that he knew an attack was immenent, but did little to prevent it. In his mind, he probably saw any losses as necessary for the greater good.

The belief at the time was that the Japanese were likely to attack at some point, but that the target would be the Phillipines so that they could get access to the oil rich Dutch East Indies. Very few believed that there would actually be an air raid on Pearl and any evidence to suggest that there might be was ignored until too late or got lost in communication. Yes, FDR wanted in the war, but Japan was going to attack anyways and he would have gotten it. Therefore it makes terrible strategic sense to leave the Pacific Fleet stationed there (prior to Midway the Americans were losing the war). If he knew about it early enough to do anything, the battleships would have been moved out of there.

FDR's importance in this is overstated anyways. Army Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall and Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Harold R Stark were the ones directly calling the shots for most of this.

Most of the outside world had a vague idea about what was going on with the Holocaust , but had no specific ideas of how bad it truely was, and had little interest in finding out untill it was too late.

A lot of people in Germany were ignorant of the situation as well. For all they assumed, they were worker camps.

On a related note, I watched something on Reinhard Heydrich on the history channel the other day and damn that motherfucker was evil. He looks the part, too.

Somewhat on a related note in regards to WWII.

There has been evidence that Churchill wanted to get the US involved in WWII. He decided the best way for this involved the Luisitania. He figured that this would more then likely get shot at by German u-boats. Churchill figured that at the cost of english lives and a few American lives it would get the US involved in the War.

However, it took until Pearl harbor for us to get involved.

There has been evidence that Churchill wanted to get the US involved in WWII.  He decided the best way for this involved the Luisitania.  He figured that this would more then likely get shot at by German u-boats.  Churchill figured that at the cost of english lives and a few American lives it would get the US involved in the War. 

Man, that Churchill was a sly dog. Going back in time to WWI and attacking the Lusitania so that the US would get involved in WWII!

There has been evidence that Churchill wanted to get the US involved in WWII.  He decided the best way for this involved the Luisitania.  He figured that this would more then likely get shot at by German u-boats.  Churchill figured that at the cost of english lives and a few American lives it would get the US involved in the War. 

Man, that Churchill was a sly dog. Going back in time to WWI and attacking the Lusitania so that the US would get involved in WWII!

Indeed. Don't you remember the Alamo and the Spanish-American War?

Hey my bad on this one. I got my facts mixed up is all on this one. Overall that was a huge slipup on my part.