TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

What stars never reached

It seems to me there's a smattering of wrestlers who were never all they could be because of just one thing. Whether it was no charisma, mic skills, politics, workrate, there's probably thousands.

Benoit comes to mind, although it's probably a combination of mic skills and charisma.

I'd also say Shane flopped in the WWF because of a shitty gimmick. He was one of my favourite ECW performers of all time.

Who else?

Test.

Even though he was AWESOME and had a great career, The Million Dollar Man could have been cemented as a great heel and possibly a money drawing heel in the 80's if they had given him the World Title.

Dames

ditto Mr. Perfect...watched some old stuff during my vacation, this guy really shoulda beat Hogan for the belt at some point...I mean, even if he had to job it right back to him a few months down the line, he still should have won it...

Ahmed Johnson was just starting to get insanely over before he started hurting himself and others...he was just off of TV way too often to finally get over that hump...

Guest JoeJoe

Curt Hennig. Injuries ruined his career.

Ted Dibiase. Should have stayed with the WWF. Could have helped preserve the era of managers.

Owen Hart. Looked like a champ up until Summelrsma 95, but was basically buried under Bret's shadow after that.

Steamboat. Blame Vince's shitty booking. The guy was World Champ material.

Shawn Michaels. Kept on getting better year by year, was on his way to god-like prime untill a back injury ruined it.

Kurt Angle. Same case as Michaels. Unless he can pick it up again somehow.

ditto Mr. Perfect...watched some old stuff during my vacation, this guy really shoulda beat Hogan for the belt at some point...I mean, even if he had to job it right back to him a few months down the line, he still should have won it...

Ahmed Johnson was just starting to get insanely over before he started hurting himself and others...he was just off of TV way too often to finally get over that hump...

I agree on both accounts...but with Ahmed, I think he would have made it to the upper tier, but not have been the number one guy. His IC Title reign showed how rapid the fans were getting for him, but he couldn't keep any of his momentum due to bad luck and injuries.

Despite how bad his mic skills were.

Hennig was the total package, IMO.

Dames

Val Venis had/has a lot of potential but he's tied a gimmick that ran its course long ago and didn't evolve into something else. He has a great look, decent mic skills and he's a solid worker. They dropped the ball with him and I think he'd benefit from a release.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

There's still time to rectify the situations, but I'll never really forgive WWE for dropping the ball with Rob Van Dam, Booker T and Chris Jericho. At least, dropping the ball with Jericho post-title reign.

I disagree with you. And I LOVE Mr. Perfect!

He really had no business being WWF World Champion though. He was extremely gifted. Very athletic, could make people look great (perhaps too great) with his bumping and selling. He would have been a disaster as a champion from a business perspective I think. And I don't think he ever had "it" to be a World Champion in the WWF. As a mark for him, I see where you're coming from but I just disagree.

There's still time to rectify the situations, but I'll never really forgive WWE for dropping the ball with Rob Van Dam, Booker T and Chris Jericho. At least, dropping the ball with Jericho post-title reign.

Ohhhh no, that shit was dropped the instant he became the Unified Champ...that dude had one of the most botched up title reigns ever...we're talking Orton and Batista levels here...

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

Ohhhh no, that shit was dropped the instant he became the Unified Champ...that dude had one of the most botched up title reigns ever...we're talking Orton and Batista levels here...

True, with being third wheel in the Triple H/Stephanie story and everything, but at least he had the chance, you know? He got the main events whereas Booker and RVD haven't

I'd say Booker T has actually had a fair amount of time in the main event spotlight over the years: during his initial Invasion run, his fued with HHH and various spots since moving to Smackdown...RVD obviously hasn't been up there, unless you want to count that halfassed fued with HHH...

I'd say Booker T has actually had a fair amount of time in the main event spotlight over the years: during his initial Invasion run, his fued with HHH and various spots since moving to Smackdown...

Since going to WWE, what exactly has Booker T accomplished in his "main event spotlight"?

Jobbed against HHH at Wrestlemania 19, despite the racism angle.

Jobbed to JBL.

Lost the WCW Title to the Rock at SummerSlam 01.

I can't recall a PPV "main event" that Booker T was in where he hands down won.

Tag titles and U.S. titles are good and dandy, but doesn't put him in the main event tier, which is where he should have been coming straight from WCW.

Dames

I wouldn't agree with that, unless you're willing to say that anyone who's been IN the main event has had the "main event spotlight".

Booker's had a cup of coffee in the main event and I wouldn't call that a spotlight what so ever, especially the way he was treated.

Dames

anyone not named HHH, Kurt Angle, HBK (and HE'S debatable) or UT is a cup of coffee in the main event...our arguements are pretty much moot if you really want to get right down to it...

I'd agree with you on that, but HBK most definitely isn't up for debate. The company decided to make him the top star in 96, that's THE spotlight.

Dames

true...I guess I meant more or less the past 5 years, the transition from the Attitude Era to where we are now...to me, HHH has done a pretty good job of keeping HBK out of HIS spot with a couple meaningless title reigns...

Test? The only time he was ever over was in 1999, maybe. He was a decent wrestler at best and subpar on the mic most of the time.

Right. And this thread asked what wrestlers were never all they could be because of just one missing thing. Add one thing to Test (like great talking ability) and he would have been a much bigger star. Perhaps a huge star?

I actually agree with that. In '99, Test was really taking off until the HHH/Stephanie angle took place and killed his heat for years.

Take a look again at the Shane McMahon/Test match from SummerSlam '99 and listen to the crowd. Test was OVER then.

Dames

At Survivor Series before Big Show came out and won the title I thought they were going to go all the way with Test.

6 months later he was in a lower card tag team that never even won the titles in an age of once a month title changes.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite
I wouldn't agree with that, unless you're willing to say that anyone who's been IN the main event has had the "main event spotlight". 

Booker's had a cup of coffee in the main event and I wouldn't call that a spotlight what so ever, especially the way he was treated. 

Dames

I thought we were getting somewhere with Booker at WrestleMania 19, and then at Survivor Series 2004. But no, the Greater Goods Triple H and JBL always come first. There's still time, but it's unlikely.

Guest bort

I think Booker reached far beyond his potiental in the WWE, hes been lazy and unwatchable to me almost since the end of the Invasion...i swear he cannot go with hitting the ring ropes every 30 seconds.

Val Venis, his gimmick and injuries killed him. Hes got the perfect WWE moveseat and can talk. Hes motovated now but is getting older

Kanyon - never given the big push, always cast as a lack, he was never cut which could have played a part in his lack of push

If they had booked Hurricane properly and let him keep his moves, Hurricane could've been a HUGE star for WWE. Passable on the mic, plays his roles to a T, great moveset, marketable look, kid friendly, he could've been like Rey Myterio, a cruiser able to fight the big guys. Heck, with all the crud they throw against the wall, saying Hurricane can choke slam people because of his super powers is mild. I also agree with Test. I was SO disappoited when they threw him in T and A and they were part of HHH's thugs, like he was never angry over HHH taking his wife. That was all kinds of screwed up. Lesnar will be a legend in this business if he comes back and gets Heyman to manage him again becasuse he can plain out wrestle and Heyman makes up for his weakness on the mic. Funaki got stuck in the comedy role and has never really recovered. Kane could've been the monster they make him out to be if they booked him properly, but instead he has endured so much garbage, and Show is getting it now too even though he started impressing me with his work for the very first time starting about a year or so ago. Rene Dupree could become a star, but right now he's stuck in a dead end gimmick and looked like an absolute joke against Cena. Tazz could've also been a much bigger star in WWF if they used him right. Ditto with DDP, one of the most charismatic wrestler's I've ever seen who became a stalker and then the self help guru. Dreamer got stuck with a horrible gimmick post Invansion, and well, I don't know what precisely is up with Stevie Richards, but he could've been a much bigger star than he ever became outside of ECW

Also, I think Ken Shamrock got screwed outside of his Blackman feud and really, at what other time have you heard face commentators talking about face wrestlers being dumb? JR would constantly say he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

blame drinking and/or drugs, speeding, and a telephone pole for Magnum not reaching their fullest potential.

Two other quick Magnum TA thoughts:

Is there a dumber name for a wrestler than that? Fucking A, using Magnum PI and a dicktickler mustache to get your wrestler name is ludicrous.

What are the odds that Vince would have grabbed him and made him midcard for life?