TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

Classic games and systems

I remember back in 1991 (I believe), I wanted a Super Nintendo so badly. We rented one from a local video store and that was pure joy.I played Super Mario World. About a year later, my mom got the Super Nintendo but I was the one who bought all the games for it. I am having a little SNES nostagia and I don't want to end up doing another 100 games thread but list out a few classic games/systems.

The Super Nintendo was a verstile system that had some of the best games. I like Super Mario World because of thos ghost houses. I like a Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past because of the story, the graphics, and the music. I think it's the best Zelda ever. Donkey Kong Country had incredible graphics and it was a good platformer game.

I remember getting it by surprise one xmass when i was like 14 and it was the best xmass ever, they got it with super mario world and starfox. I remember putting in Starfox and just being hypnotized by the game. Memories *sniff*

Guest Coffey

I still play Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger and, occasionally, Final Fantasy III & The Secret of Mana to this day. I think the SNES is my favorite system. Actually, I know that it is.

I remember Street Fighter II costing $70 for the SNES version when it was new.

When people talk about the SNES they usually name drop the RPG games or Mario Kart. Shit like that. Here's a list of five, non-RPG, non-Mario related SNES titles that I'd recommend:

• Uniracers
  • Demon's Crest
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Actraiser
  • Super Turrican

I second on Demon Crest, that game is simply amazing and is one of those that not many people played, I still play all the megaman x's.

Yeah, I remember SNES games could be pretty damn expensive. I think I paid close to $80 for WWF RAW when it first came out...it was a fun game though, and I played it a lot, but could you imagine paying that much for ANY game now?

The one thing I didn't like about the SNES, and this has been a problem with Nintendo's last several systems, is that I don't think they really quite took it to it's full potential before they ended it by introducing the next generation system. I mean, Super Mario World was just incredible...I wanted a real sequel to it...that Yoshi game didn't even come close to being as fun. I don't think they did an SNES sequel to Zelda, either.

Other games I liked: Super Mario All-Stars, NBA Jam TE, Killer Instinct, Super Metroid.

Guest OSIcon

I'd probably the SNES is my favorite system ever.

I was a little late in getting and like most kids would do, since I didn't have it, I decided it wasn't that good of a system to begin with in an attempt to convince myself that the NES was still better. Of course, once we got it my tone changed.

I am one of those people who'll throw out the "usual" titles when talking about the system because I mainly played those popular games. Super Mario World was the first game I played for the system and obviously loved it. All of the Mario games were great: Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, and Mario All-Stars. A Link to the Past still might be my favorite Zelda game (either that or the original). Final Fantasy III (VI) was the first turn-based RPG I ever played and to this day it is my personal favorite game. I liked Chrono Trigger, though not as much as others (I hope to play it again this summer because it has been a while).

Those games alone make it great in my eyes and there are so many more. I knwe plenty of people who would argue at the time that the Genesis was better, but in retrospect, I don't even think that is a viable comparison.

I was too young to remember getting NES, but I do remember having fun playing Mario, Mario 3, Mega Man 3, and TMNT among others.

Now SNES I remember getting. It was right after my family got back from a vacation in Disney World. My dad gave it to me and my two brothers that night. The earliest games I can remember getting are Super Mario World, Addams Family, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I didn't get Zelda: LTTP right away, but when I did, I loved playing that, too. Today, it's still my favorite game of all time. SNES is still my favorite system of all time.

Not totally on topic, just something funny I saw:

On a show on G4 (one of my fav TV channels now) showing the history of the Donkey Kong series, it was mentioned that Shigeru Miyamoto...creator of Donkey Kong, Mario, the Zelda series, and more...actually verbally tore apart the main person behind Donkey Kong Country, and said himself that "American gamers will by anything, as long as it looks pretty."

...wonder why Miyamoto didn't like Donkey Kong Country...

Not totally on topic, just something funny I saw:

On a show on G4 (one of my fav TV channels now) showing the history of the Donkey Kong series, it was mentioned that Shigeru Miyamoto...creator of Donkey Kong, Mario, the Zelda series, and more...actually verbally tore apart the main person behind Donkey Kong Country, and said himself that "American gamers will by anything, as long as it looks pretty."

...wonder why Miyamoto didn't like Donkey Kong Country...

I've got lots to say that's directly on topic, but for now...

Either it's a bad translation, or he's a little confused.

Let's face it, everyone likes pretty graphics. Japanese gamers included. However, I think it's very true that Western gamers prefer realism more than Japanese gamers do. Also, Rare isn't a US company, but a UK company. DKC (and most of their games) tend to shoot for a form of realism, especially for the environments, but the character designs often seem stuck between "cartoony" and realistic.

Although if we want to make blanket statements about a country's gaming tastes, we could just as easily slag Japan all day. Japanese gamers are just as stupid as American gamers when it comes to licensed games. Take a look at Bandai.

I guess the pretty graphics had nothing to do with Square's Playstation mega-hits in both Japan and the US. Hell, that's all most of Square's games have going for them right now.

So, at the very least it's an ignorant statement.

It's generally accepted today that DKC was an above-average game that was sold primarily on its graphics, at a time when the false next-gen systems were trying to gain a place in the market alongside the 16-bitters. Doesn't Miyamoto have an Executive Producer credit and perhaps a direction credit on DKC? I'm sure he's got at least one of them. It could be just because of him creating Donkey Kong, though.

Every summer I'll beat a random SNES game. Either Super Mario World/All-Stars, Zelda, DKC 1-3, or EarthBound. Nothing beats those games.

Oh, and Nintendo seems to hate Rare and their DK games IMO.

Oh, and Nintendo seems to hate Rare and their DK games IMO.

...which is why they've re-released the DKC games on GBA, and used Rare's character design for DK in Mario vs. Donkey Kong?

Nintendo loved Rare until the Goldeneye team was gone, and all of Rare's games since have taken an eternity for them to finish and, even worse, have sucked.

That's why they cut them loose after Star Fox Adventures. Rare hadn't really done a lick of good for Microsoft so far. Kameo, which *still* isn't out, *might* be good, and PDZ is supposed to be okay (if not visually spectactular right now). Aside from that, they've got the Conker remake (which has been censored more heavily than the N64 game). However, Rare was at their peak during the late N64 years (and were producing plenty of quality games for that platform), but haven't even come close since.

I think that one of the problems that people have with the original Donkey Kong Country is the fact that, after collecting all the bannanas and getting 100%...you don't get anything really special.

...or so I've heard. To be honest, the highest I ever got was...I dunno...75%

You could get up to 101% in DKC. But no, you didn't get any special ending or bonus.

In the sequels they expanded on it. I think DKC3 went *too* far in the "collecting junk" direction, though.

Super Empire Strikes Back is a great action game.

Metal Marines is quite a fun, if odd, strategy game.

The Final Fight games are always good for some mindless action. Can't remember if any of them stood out.

Gradius III is a great shooter. So is UN Squadron

Bomberman!

Guest Askewniverse

The Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES was pretty good. The Batmobile stage is still a bitch to beat. Batman Returns (SNES) was fun too. I still get a kick out of bashing two clowns together or throwing them into the background.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES was pretty good. The Batmobile stage is still a bitch to beat. Batman Returns (SNES) was fun too. I still get a kick out of bashing two clowns together or throwing them into the background.

The SNES Returns is okay. Basically a generic beat 'em up with a few cool moves (the background toss, double noggin' knocker of course). But some of the levels had designs that distinguished it from most of the genre.

Adventures of Batman & Robin is my favorite Batman game. I once spent about a week playing it so that I could beat it on Hard. The final area was really frustrating. The fights by themselves aren't too hard, but surviving them all in a row...yow. Great job translating the music, too.

And yes, I *hated* Trouble in Transit. I had picked up the GBA Batman Vengeance used one time. It was a really poor attempt at cloning AoB&R. Naturally, they stuck in a Trouble in Transit knockoff. I never bothered finishing it. :P

Guest T-Rage

Indeed, the SNES is probably the best system ever. I had so much fun with Street Fighter 2 and Mario All-Stars back in the day (the only two games I owned). Since then I play a lot on emulator: Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Mario RPG, Lufia 2, all DKC. So much great stuff.

All those are before my time, but my uncle owned a Colecovision Adam computer (which my grandmother still won't give me) and an Atari 2600. They're always good fun whenever I happen to go visit my grandmother.

Also, I think I'm the only person in the world who actually enjoys NES games more than SNES overall.

My uncle used to have a Turbo Grafx and I used to play the hell outta Splatterhouse. He also had Keith Courage and some game where a mole was dressed up in a suit of armor, I can't remember the name.

dude dont feel old, i still have my pong system and play the heck out of it, I remember when i got my first atari, the 2600 my mom bought it with Berzerk, Asteroids and Missile Command.

My uncle used to have a Turbo Grafx and I used to play the hell outta Splatterhouse.  He also had Keith Courage and some game where a mole was dressed up in a suit of armor, I can't remember the name.

I loved the TG16. Keith Courage, Splatter House, Devil Crush. Great system, mine burnt out last year.

sms.jpg

smsgames.jpg

SMS REPRESENT!

Guest Askewniverse

Nice to know that I'm not the only one here who owned a SMS. I still have a decent amount of SMS games. Not as much as YNA, but it's still a good amount.

I remember playing the SMS when it first came out and absolutely LOVING "My Hero". Anyone else remember that?

There was a glitch in the first stage where if you stood in one spot, the enemies would jump and continually respawn the moment you killed them, allowing for ridiculous high scores...

Dames