TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

Weirdest sports injury?

This got loosely started on the TWIB thread, but what comes to mine?

Sean Antoski, formerly of the Canucks, once missed some time. He had a plate in his head from a car accident. His dog drank some toilet water that had some kind of cleaner in it, and the dog passed out. Antoski administers CPR(or possibly checked his heart), which caused the dog to kick Antoski in the head, leaving him on the shelf for three days.

There was a player for the Mets that missed at least part of the playoffs in 1988 because he cut his finger trimming the hedges at his house. Bob Ojeda maybe?

Didn't Glenallen Hill hurt himself because he had a nightmare about spiders? Or am I mixing that up with Juventud Guererra's Australian adventure?

Seth Henson (Jaguars punter) dropping an axe on his foot.

Julian Tavarez breaking his hand after punching a wall in last years NLCS.

Marty Cordova got his face burned in a suntan booth after he fell asleep back in 2002 the first year he was with the Orioles.

John Smoltz once tried to iron a shirt while wearing it and burned his chest.

Rickey Henderson supposedly got frostbite in the middle of August, I dont know how though..

Rich Harden injured his shoulder hitting the snooze button on his alarm clock.

More:

http://www.outofbounds.homestead.com/injury.html

Guest Mosaicv2

Their are some odd injuiries that I remember that occured with some football players, one involed with the Arizona Cardinals who celebrate too much after a first-quarter field and torn his quad after jumping up and down like a idiot. And the other one is the Redskins quarterback headbutting the a padded (but concrete) wall after running in the endzone himself for a touchdown and a suffered a severe concussion.

They're others I knew about but I can't remember now so I probably will come back later... or not.

Who was the guy who stabbed himself with a knife trying to open a DVD?

I don't know who did that but Mike Matheny cut two tendons in his right ring finger after recieving a hunting knife as a present. He went to put the knife in its sheath and it broke through it.

And the spider nightmare one was Glenallen Hill (coolest thing I remember him doing is hitting a single-handed homer as a Yankee)

I can't remember the player but the injury was bizarre.

Some baseball had to sit out a couple of games because he got taco bell hot sauce in his eye.

Another strange injury involved a Twins player. Apartently he threw out his back while moving a hotel TV so he could see it better.

Two baseball injuries come to mind.

Wade Boggs tries to put on cowboy boots in a hotel room...keels over and bruises his ribs.

Vince Coleman in the 1985 playoffs, oblivious to the oncoming tarp behind him which rolls over his leg and he misses the remainder of the playoffs.

Detroit pitcher Denny McLain suffered a mysterious foot injury during the last couple pf months of the 1967 season, effectively costing the Tigers the pennant. He'd recover, and win 31 games the next season, helping Detroit win the World Series.

When McLain's career collapsed in 1970, he was implicated in an investigation of a Michigan bookmaker who had made a killing after the Tigers lost the pennant to Boston in 1967. Apparently, the bookie got pissed at McLain and began stomping on his foot.

McLain dumped ice water on reporters who kept asking him about his connection to gamblers, drawing a week-long suspension.

-Ben