TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
art_vandelay

Looking to get into Ring of Honor

Hey fellas. I've always heard a lot of great things about this promotion and I'm looking to get into it. Who are the major characters and what are the main feuds that have been happening since the company began? Any knowledge or praise about why you like/dislike the promotion is appreciated.

Guest JebusNassedar

This is going to take forever. But I'll do it, and post it when I'm done. And it'll be comprehensive, too.

I love ROH, but they're way too full of their own shit.

And the commentary is just bad. Early on it's forgettable. But in 2003 Gabe and Doug started doing it themselves and it's just the shits.

I know this really isn't any info, but there's just too much to tell.

I love ROH, but they're way too full of their own shit.

And the commentary is just bad. Early on it's forgettable. But in 2003 Gabe and Doug started doing it themselves and it's just the shits.

I know this really isn't any info, but there's just too much to tell.

I disagree right now Jimmy Bower (Gabe) and Mark Nulty are one of the better commentary teams in wrestling. They blow WWE's commentators out of the water, as well as TNA's. (it'd be different if Tenay had a better colour guy).

Major Players Right Now

CM PUNK - Part of the Second City Saints. Used to be probably the biggest heel on the roster, but now is fan loved. One of the best on the mic, and very good in the ring. However, it looks as if he signed with WWE Today.

SAMOA JOE - Pure Champion. Obviously by the name, Joe is a somaon. Big wrestler, both ways. VERY GOOD however. The guy may look overweight but he has great endurance. He started out being the hitman for The Prophecy (Christopher Daniels' group) but he'd always follow the Code of Honor while they wouldnt want him too.

JIMMY RAVE - Probably the most over heel on the roster right now. He is the "CROWN JEWEL of the Embassy" which is a group ran by Prince Nane, who claims to be the prince of Ghana. Becasically just went from a generic face to a rich cocky bastard, somewhat like JBL. Has probably the best entrance in ROH.

HOMICIDE - Another heel. Generic 'black guy' stereotype. Big bad thug, and he'd be alot more likable without his totally annoying manager known as Julius Smokes.

AUSTIN ARIES - World Champion. Beat Joe, which no one thought would ever happen. Kind of a neutral wrestler, as he seems to be wrestling mostly faces, but he is VERY over as a face as well. Part of Generation Next, which is kind of like Evolution's Randy Orton.

JACK EVANS/RODERICK STRONG - The other members of Generation Next. Evans is a small man who takes VERY SICK bumps and is very good at flippy offense. If you like Amazing Red, you'll LOVE Jack Evans. Strong is a stronger wrestler.. haven't seen a helluva alot of him though.

SPANKY - Same as he was when he was coming to a close with the WWE. Except more overtop and more fun. Better wrestler too with an extended moveset.

JAMES GIBSON - Formerly known as Jamie Noble. He's just a good old' southern boy, who loves getting a chance to wrestle outside Sports Entertainment. One of his first matches in ROH was a Screw Sports Entertainment match against Spanky.

COLT CABANA - The other big member of the Second City Saints. May be the funniest wrestler I've ever seen, while still being able to wrestle with his humour. Runs a backstage skit called GREAT TIMES, GREAT MEMORIES which is just hiliarious. One of my favourites. Used to be the a heel with Punk but the crowd always seemed to love Cabana, because how charasmatic he is. It'd be heard to turn him heel.

DUNN & MARCOS - Not really big players, but they've been their since the start and may have one of the best gimmicks i've ever seen. They are the RING CREW EXPRESS. Meaning they ARE ROH's Ring Crew. They put the ring together and always try and solidfy a spot on the main roster with wins. Basically just jobbers, but the crowd eats up every second of them. Oh and toss in the fact that they're always on "Tour". Last year was the "Were Not Gonna Take It Tour". Haha. Great guys.

ALEX SHELLEY - Used to be the leader of Generation Next, but got kicked out. Sucks to be him. The locker room hated him afterwards, because of everything he did to them while he was in Generation Next. He told everyone he seen the right way, but they just kept ignoring it, making him a 'loner' backstage.

BJ WHITMER/JIMMY JACOBS - Tag Champs. Jaocobs is hilarious, and they make a good team. Haven't seen enough to give a rundown however, as they were basically thrown together when Whitmer's old partner, Dan Maff, left the company.

I'll let someone else cover the feuds. But the big ones are... recently are...

Jimmy Rave v. AJ Styles

Jimmy Rave v. CM Punk

Samoa Joe v. Austin Aries

Colt Cabana v. Nigel McGuiness

Generation Next v. Alex Shelley

Alex Shelley v. The Locker Room

American Dragon v. Homicide

Matt Sydal v. The Embassy (to a way smaller extent)

Over time some of the bigger ones;

CM Punk v. Samoa Joe

Paul London v. AJ Styles

Raven v. CM Punk

Michael Shane v. Paul London (probably ROH's biggest feud in the first few months)

Know that Samoa Joe is thy god, and to doubt him is to be stiffed into next week.

Gotta agree about Jacobs and BJ "Hillbilly Jesus" Whitmer. They work great together, and Jacobs has resurrectd HUSS~!, which is always a nice mark-out moment.

Gabe and Doug were ok for the most part. The only thing they did that really got on my nerves was that at least once on every tape, Gabe would use the remark about how it's the little things that separate the good wrestlers from the great wrestlers. I got sick of that by the third tape in a row that had him say that.

And Julius Smokes is beyond annoying, and really needs to have his eyes gouged out and get skull fucked to death.

As far as the promotion.....it's one of the best. I've been to three live shows and the atmosphere is great. Sometimes some of their stuff seems to be a bit overhyped on the critical praise to me though.

The commentary....I like the color guy...I guess that's Nulty? I don't like the play by play that much but it's passable.

Yeah the color guy is Mark Nulty. I think he's pretty decent. Better than Gabe, although those "DANGEROUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS~!" calls are pretty amusing sometimes.

Gabe and Doug were good if you were just starting out, but after you watch a whole year's worth of tapes, and realise they say the same thing over and over, it gets really tiring.

I don't like Nulty much at all. Punk can be pretty funny though. His commentary on GBH2 is hilarious

Personally, I love Julius Smokes, I think he's hilarious. (Smokes yelling "I HATE your Japanese ass!" in Liger's face is one priceless example.) And I don't think I've liked any of ROH's commentary teams ever. "Dangerassssss!" is one of the worst catchphrases I've ever heard. They also spend way, way, WAY too much time just talking about how great ROH is and how all their wrestlers are the best in the world and how much sports entertainment sucks and all that crap. Guys, I've already bought the video, you don't need to waste my time shilling your product.

I generally don't like Punk on commentary on ROH or IWA-MS. While amusing at times, it seems to be done solely to get himself over. He does have his insightful moments though.

Thats's why I like Nulty. The commentary I've heard from him I like. Not everything but he at least tries to add some depth to the match.

Nulty and Gabe are great on recent releases. The Commentary from Third Anniversary Celebrations is phenomenal, compared to anything else we have going right now.

Nulty's alright...I'm a mark for the old sports references, but I understand some aren't. Gabe's still the shits. The guy has a voice that, no matter if he wakes up tomorrow and is blessed with the announcing ability of Lance Russell, will prevent him from ever being any good as a commentator.

However, I really enjoyed the little bit I've heard of Dave Prazak in ROH (Trios Tournament, Stalemate). He's really proving that he can drop the clowning around and still be a great play-by-play guy.

I'm only up to October 2003 with my viewing, so the commetary is Gabe and Doug as Ray and Chris.

Which led to my all time favorite commentary moment from early 03

Ray: "The Murphy Wreck center is an incredibly hot building to wrestle in."

Chris: "But we wouldn't know, we're not there for the live shows."

Ray: "...yes we are."

Chris: "OH yeah!"

I'm sorry, but if I'm in charge I cut tape there and restart the match with commentary.

And I can only hear how Special K spends their parents money and drives their parents cars only about 29 times per show before it starts annoying me.

Nulty's alright...I'm a mark for the old sports references, but I understand some aren't. Gabe's still the shits. The guy has a voice that, no matter if he wakes up tomorrow and is blessed with the announcing ability of Lance Russell, will prevent him from ever being any good as a commentator.

However, I really enjoyed the little bit I've heard of Dave Prazak in ROH (Trios Tournament, Stalemate). He's really proving that he can drop the clowning around and still be a great play-by-play guy.

I never realised Prazak did any ROH. Man, that guy really gets around.

He's probably the best indy commentator out there when he's straight up. Maybe he's a bit too 'smarkish' at times. I don't really mind that most of the time and it's no big deal when he's doing CHIKARA shows. Sometimes though, in IWA:MS, he tends to get a bit too goofy at times.

Now all he needs to do is start doing CZW's commentary too. Gargulio does absolutely nothing for me, when he's not being carried by Eddie Kingston.

Prazak , by himself, is very good. He's more toned down and serious and focused.

When he has someone to play off of.....Fannin, Kingston, Danger, Punk, etc..he gets a but looser and playful. Sometimes it works, sometimes it kinda takes away from the match. But out of those 4 , Punk is the only one that bothers me.

I think a lot of Prazak's work, personally. I love that he can actually get away with being that goofy and insider-ish with his calls. Because of the loose nature of the shows he works, Prazak gets to do the kind of commentary that all us other announcers wish we could do (like most, I'm pretty much forced to call it straight at on the shows I work). I haven't heard "serious ROH Prazak" yet, but I imagine he does well with that too.

Actually, I agree with Jingus. Watching IWA shows, Prazak strays off topic sometimes and gets a little goofy. But he does get away with it because most of the time he doesn't take away from the situation. He does tend to be serious when it's REALLY needed, 95% of the time. Besides that, IWA isn't really a 'dead serious' fed all the time anyway.

Punk is okay in small doses. He does tend to no sell people/things sometimes and he's obviously an opinionated guy.

Prazak/Kingston works, because Kingston is probably one of the better color guys out there. He's funny enough, he knows his stuff, he puts people over, he remembers past storylines involving him when it's relevant (ie: not instantly liking Hero because he's a heel).

Larry Sweeney's decent with Prazak too, although better with Kingston. Bryce Remsburg works well with Prazak as well.

Nevermortal wrote:

"The fanbase of Ring of Honor ruined it for me."

This coming from a guy who went to shows with someone whose sole purpose was to heckle and berate everything during the night.

Makes a lot of sense....

Tim

Thanks guys, for all the input.

JAMES GIBSON - Formerly known as Jamie Noble.  He's just a good old' southern boy, who loves getting a chance to wrestle outside Sports Entertainment. One of his first matches in ROH was a Screw Sports Entertainment match against Spanky.

What kind of match was this?

Thanks guys, for all the input.

JAMES GIBSON - Formerly known as Jamie Noble.  He's just a good old' southern boy, who loves getting a chance to wrestle outside Sports Entertainment. One of his first matches in ROH was a Screw Sports Entertainment match against Spanky.

What kind of match was this?

Actually Wrestling. No interference. No Ref Bumps. Wrestling Entertainment... not WWE style entertainment.

Thanks for all the info. I likely will be moving back to the east coast in about 6 months, so It's cool to know some stuff about the indy scene, so I know which shows I should go to :)

To anyone interested, the following are available at

http://www.rohwrestling.com for only $10!!!! **until 9PM on Friday, June 17th, 2005.

Great deal if you looking to get some of ROH's first ever releases and want to get into the product.

-Era of Honor Begins 2/23/02 (Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Bryan Danielson, Super Crazy vs. Eddie Guerrero)

-Round Robin Challenge 3/30/02 (Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels, Bryan Danielson vs. Christopher Daniels, Low Ki vs. Bryan Danielson)

-Night of Appreciation 4/27/02 (Eddie Guerrero & The Amazing Red vs. Joel & Jose Maximo, AJ Styles vs. Low Ki)

-Honor Invades Boston 8/24/02 (Low Ki vs. AJ Styles, Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Briscoe)

-Unscripted 9/21/02 (Paul London vs. Michael Shane streetfight, ROH Tag Team Title Tournament)

-Glory By Honor 10/5/02 (Low Ki vs. Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels vs. Doug Williams)

-All Star Extravaganza 11/9/02 (Steve Corino & Low Ki vs. Masato Tanaka & Shinjiro Otani)

-Scramble Madness 11/16/02 (10 Man Scramble Match, Doug Williams vs. Bryan Danielson, Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles)

-One Year Anniversary Show 2/8/03 (AJ Styles vs. Low Ki vs. Paul London, Steve Corino vs. Homicide)

-Epic Encounter 4/12/03 (Paul London vs. Bryan Danielson)

-Frontiers of Honor 5/17/03 (ROH vs. FWA)

-Do or Die 5/31/03 (Samoa Joe vs. Homicide)

-Wrath of the Racket 8/9/03 (Christopher Daniels & Dan Maff vs. AJ Styles & Homicide, Jim Cornette's ROH debut)

-Empire State Showdown 10/25/03 (Samoa Joe vs. Homicide, Steve Corino vs. CM Punk)

-The Conclusion 11/28/03 (Punk vs. Raven steel cage match, AJ Styles & Samoa Joe vs. Mark & Jay Briscoe)

-Final Battle 2003 12/27/03 (Keiji Muto & Arashi vs. Christopher Daniels & Dan Maff, Kaz Hayashi vs. AJ Styles)

-The Last Stand 1/29/04 (Samoa Joe & Jerry Lynn vs. Mark & Jay Briscoe, CM Punk vs. Homicide)

-Second Year Anniversary 2/14/03 (Pure Wrestling Title Tournament, Samoa Joe vs. Low Ki vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Dan Maff)

-At Our Best 3/13/04 (Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe cage match, Carnage Crew vs. Special K scramble cage match)

-Do or Die II & III

-Best of Bryan Danielson- World's Finest

Since I know Tim Cooke is on this board and I can't register for the ROH board....I need to respond to something he posted there.

"I learned that the worst ROH crowds are still better than those ECW crowds. Chanting Chris Candido randomly in the middle of Storm v Jericho was funny for all the wrong reasons.

Tim"

Tim, respectfully, it was a nice , quick little tribute to Chris Candido by the New York crowd and if they were going to do it at any point in the show........that was the match to do it during considering Lance Storm was Candido's ECW tag partner/ feud. They did do it again later which seemed more out of nowhere but I thought the first time was actually very classy of them to acknowledge him in that way.

You can knock the ECW crowds if you choose to, but what you cited is not a very good example to do so.