TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

The One and Only Batman Begins thread

I was talking to a friend saying the sequel will contain Batman, James Gordon, and Harvey Dent going after The Joker. He asked if they had got someone to play The Joker, and I said "Not yet." He then said "I don't know if I could accept anyone other than Jack playing The Joker."

Yeah but everybody says stuff like that about all kinds of things. If they do a good translation of the joker (preferably with a nonrecognizabale face), long faced and demented, and its as good as the performances in Begins, they'll accept it just fine.

For those worrying that Batman Begins won't make enough for a sequel, have no fear. With what it brings in from theaters, DVD sales and rentals, videogames, toys and other merchandise, it will definitely make a lot of money. Besides, I think that the success this film from an enjoyment aspect will make the following movies in this series definite blockbusters with outside shots at some records.

Guest El Satanico

This photoshopped picture of Conrad Veidt, from the classic silent The Man Who Laugh, done up as Joker has been circulating recently.

It's a good look for Joker in the Begins sequel.

Click Here

It would give Joker a more demented appearance and would help seperate this Joker from Jack's portrayal. I'd even tone down his green hair and purple suit. A dark spinach looking green and a dark plum would be good.

Personally I'd consider not putting him in a suit at all, but altering his "classic" look that much would result in endless b tching.

This photoshopped picture of Conrad Veidt, from the classic silent The Man Who Laugh, done up as Joker has been circulating recently.

Click Here

I saw this manip over at superherohype, and i thought it rocked. The Man who laughs is actually what inspired Bob Kane (?) to create the Joker, as i understand it.

Perhaps they could give that hair a dark green tint to it rather than make it full on, and also dark red lips, close to black, in a "dried blood" sort of way.

People will inevitably talk abuot Jack. Once they're IN the movie, provided the actor doesn't suck ass, they'll forget about Jack, at least until its over. Since there's no name or face attached ot it YET, people have no imagination so suddenly they "cant imagine anybody other than Jack", they need something concrete. As long as they avoid actively trying to duplicate Jack, they'll be fine.

I saw a 1:30 showing this afternoon and the theater was packed. I really liked the movie and am really looking forward to seeing Bale and Nolan work together again with another one...hopefully

Guest SP-1

Why do people who are "unable to accept" anything other than nostalgic ideas even go to movies? If you can't be challenged with a new story, you'll never enjoy anything.

just for reference, here is the Joker from that one Batman short film that had batman chasing joker in an alley, then batman fighting some predators (lol).

bts13.jpg

That's the kind of style i want Joker to have, vertically long face, and a somewhat portruding thin nose. thats a) faithful to the comic and b) different enough than Jack Nicholson, which is a key thing they have to do.

the nose can easily be done with prosthetics. Ian McKellen had a fake prosthetic nose for ALL his Gandalf scenes in LOTR.

Click Here

Agreed. Of all the "Joker should look like this" pictures I've seen passed around, that definitely looks the best.

Dama, with the Joker thing I was referring more to the idea of Joker killing Batman's parents, I didn't really refer to Batman creating him with the chemicals, etc.

Trying to compare the 1989 film with the 1966 film is silly. The 66 movie and TV series had no bearing on anything by the late 80s...it'd be like arguing that they showed contempt for the audience who saw 1940s Batman serials.

Batman Begins was done by the same studio who did the other 4 films and most would assume it's a part of that overall series. The other films are still fairly fresh in people's minds. So they say "Gee, the past few have sucked so we're going to restart the series...forget the past 4 movies. But we'll have a new batch of villains because you've undoubtedly seen the past 4 movies." I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but they're just speaking out of both sides of the mouth. On one hand they want you to forget the other movies even exist, yet they are down to using Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul because movies with top level heels already exist.

I'd kinda like the Ventriloquist dude with Scarface the dummy. That was a favorite of mine on the cartoons.

Guest JMA

Since when are Ra's al Ghul and the Scarecrow not A-list villains? Both of them are very popular among Batman fans. They're certainly not scrubs just because the general public doesn't know much about them.

Guest JMA
Also, the whole film was based on the theme of fear so who else would they use as a villain?

I was actually going to mention that next. Ra's also makes sense, seeing as how there was a conflict of doing the right thing vs. the ends justifying the means.

just for reference, here is the Joker from that one Batman short film that had batman chasing joker in an alley, then batman fighting some predators (lol).

bts13.jpg

That's the kind of style i want Joker to have, vertically long face, and a somewhat portruding thin nose. thats a) faithful to the comic and b) different enough than Jack Nicholson, which is a key thing they have to do.

the nose can easily be done with prosthetics. Ian McKellen had a fake prosthetic nose for ALL his Gandalf scenes in LOTR.

replace Batman with Super Mario and that look'd fit right in

Guest El Satanico

I'm tired of idiots, who have seen the movie and still can't grasp that it's not related to the Burton/Shumacher films.

There's several things that makes such an relation impossible, with Joker not killing Bruce's parents being the most obvious. How can you watch the movie and see things that don't match the Burton/Shumacher films, but still not understand they aren't related.

I saw one person call Nolan, Goyer and WB idiots for screwing up facts from the Burton/Shumacher films. Why the fuck would someone jump to that conclusion instead of "oh, i guess it's not related"?

An A list villain is someone who the casual filmgoer and fans would instantly recognize and buy as a threat. The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman (if you consider her a villain), Riddler, Two Face. Hell, by the time they were getting to Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy they were getting to the somewhat B grade villains.

Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow might have a cult following among Batman fanboys, but they're hardly important names to the public at large. To put the Scarecrow on the same level with The Joker is ridiculous, he's a B or C level heel on par with Mad Hatter or someone. He can't carry a movie as the lead villain or anything.

By the way, yes I know that this movie has nothing to do with the previous 4. My point is that completely forgetting those films is not possible...the viewer brings in previous memories.

Ah well, I'm sick or arguing this because I'm not sure quite what the point is. I liked the new film pretty well, though I think imdb having it in their top 100 movies of all time is fairly silly.

Guest El Satanico

You really shouldn't take the IMDB 250 as something serious. It's a list based on votes from readers of the site.

Guest JMA
An A list villain is someone who the casual filmgoer and fans would instantly recognize and buy as a threat.  The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman (if you consider her a villain), Riddler, Two Face.  Hell, by the time they were getting to Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy they were getting to the somewhat B grade villains. 

Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow might have a cult following among Batman fanboys, but they're hardly important names to the public at large.  To put the Scarecrow on the same level with The Joker is ridiculous, he's a B or C level heel on par with Mad Hatter or someone.  He can't carry a movie as the lead villain or anything.

By the way, yes I know that this movie has nothing to do with the previous 4.  My point is that completely forgetting those films is not possible...the viewer brings in previous memories. 

Ah well, I'm sick or arguing this because I'm not sure quite what the point is.  I liked the new film pretty well, though I think imdb having it in their top 100 movies of all time is fairly silly.

I vehemently disagree that an A-list villain is decided by the casual film goer. For one thing, we weren't talking about just the movies, we were also talking about the comics. Secondly, one could argue that those villains are "over" (to use wrestling terms) because they're been portrayed in so many non-comic mediums in the past. How are villains supposed to become ingrained in the consciousness of the casual fan if they aren't ever used?

Getting back to the comics, they hardly have "cult" followings there. When Batman fans are asked to name their favorite villains, Ra's name comes up quite frequently (not so much for the Scarecrow, but he does have his fans). Many fans were introduced to Ra's through the animated series and many of his fans come from there. He's unique not just because he's associated with the supernatural, but also because he sees himself as mankind's savior and wants Batman to join him. He isn't like the villains who reside in Arkham at all.

To restate my position: Yes, they're not as known among the public as many of the other villains, but they are well known by comic fans and could become public favorites if given the chance. They're easily better characters than the Penguin, Mr. Freeze, and the Riddler from a creative stand-point alone.

I agree. If you put someone in there like a Joker or a Penguin right away, then you have to concentrate on that backstory and once again, you're falling into the same trap as the last 4 films where the movie is more about the villain than Batman.

Dames

An A list villain is someone who the casual filmgoer and fans would instantly recognize and buy as a threat. The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman (if you consider her a villain), Riddler, Two Face. Hell, by the time they were getting to Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy they were getting to the somewhat B grade villains.

I'm sorry but that is such a moronic sentiment. So what defines a character as "A-list" or whatever, is whether someone who has no clue about the work in it's original medium knows about them? Hell, Riddler (ok, pre Hush) and Penguin are pretty much complete jokes in the comics, yet they're "A-List" because joe moviegoer knows who they are? Well then I guess Ras and Scarecrow are A-list now, because they were just in a movie. These movies are taking the stories and characters from another medium, thus the rules are defined by that source material.

I'm liking the idea of Guy Pearce or Crispin Glover as Joker. Both are versatile actors who are not huge marquee names that, if cast, could really blow up if they're cast in a high profile movie like this.

I liked how the DA in "batman begins" gets offed, which leaves us open for Harvey Dent to make an appearance in the sequel, then to become full fledged heeled out Two Face in the third installment. The real question is, who to cast as Two Face?

I'm liking the idea of Guy Pearce or Crispin Glover as Joker. Both are versatile actors who are not huge marquee names that, if cast, could really blow up if they're cast in a high profile movie like this.

I liked how the DA in "batman begins" gets offed, which leaves us open for Harvey Dent to make an appearance in the sequel, then to become full fledged heeled out Two Face in the third installment. The real question is, who to cast as Two Face?

If they use Two Face it better not have something as retarted as 'Forever' had with Batman, in full batsuit, in the courtroom, leaping towards Dent as someone sprays him with acid. Batman should be the Urban Legend of the streets not testifying in the courtroom.

I'm also not understanding the love for 'classic' yet outdated charaters like Penguin, and Riddler. They are lame and just flat out suck. Did we not learn already how much we were bored to shit watching Penguin in 'Returns'? Also, Catwoman was ruined last summer. They just need to forget about her.

Joker can be used again but I hope to God they use Harley Quinn as well. After them can't we just use some of the newer Villians? Forget the Riddler part and use Hush, make the Long Halloween a movie, whatever it takes to kick the campy villans out.

How about John Glover as Joker? Sure, he was in Batman and Robin as Bane's creator, but since not a lot of people actually SAW that movie (or choose to remember it...) it wouldn't matter.

And Secret Agent- I think they can salvage Catwoman, especially since they went back to square one with Batman. Show a young Selina Kyle come to town to do some old fashioned theivery, and Batman has to sop her. Instantly forget about Returns, and instantly forget about that abortion of a Catwman movie earlier this year.