TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigm350

WWF Winged Eagle or WCW Big Gold

Guest bigm350

I've started a few topics on this board concerning wrestling belts. I've been a beltmark for as long as I can remember, and would like the opinions of others concerning belts. Anyways, my question is what the title of this thread states;

Out of the two most memorable belts of the history of the WWF/E and WCW(IMO), what belt do you like more? The Winged Eagle belt that was made famous by Hogan, Savage, Hart, Michaels, Flair, Undertaker, etc; or the Big Gold belt of the NWA/WCW that was made famous by Flair, Steamboat, Sting, Hogan, Goldberg, etc.?

I always preferred the Big Gold because it always screamed World champion to me; mostly because of its sheer size. Both belts have great lineages of champions (barring David Arquette and Vince Russo), but the Big Gold's beauty puts it at the head of the pack for me. What's your choice?

BTW, if this topic gets alot of responses, I might start a regular thread comparing two belts from different eras of wrestling.

Guest BrokenWings

Winged Eagle, hands down. But, I'm bias, as I didn't watch WCW until I became a teenager, whereas I grew up on the WWF.

Guest bigm350
Winged Eagle, hands down. But, I'm bias, as I didn't watch WCW until I became a teenager, whereas I grew up on the WWF.

Having biases are good. That's what makes us fans. I fully expect alot of answers in regard to what promotion/s you grew up on. Nothing wrong with that.

I grew up on both at the same time, it's just that even as a kid, I hated Hulk Hogan and loved Ric Flair and the Horsemen, so that is probrably why I prefer the Big Goldie over the Winged Eagle, although I still like the Winged Eagle belt.

Winged Eagle, mostly cause I can actually tell what it is. There's stuff on the BGB, but it looks like a bunch of squiggly bumps to me.

Big 'Ol Eagle > Squiggly Bumps

Guest bigm350
I grew up on both at the same time, it's just that even as a kid, I hated Hulk Hogan and loved Ric Flair and the Horsemen, so that is probrably why I prefer the Big Goldie over the Winged Eagle, although I still like the Winged Eagle belt.

I like the Winged Eagle as well. And I'm in the same boat as you; while I always liked the Big Gold better; because of its size and design, I've always been more of a Flair fan than a Hogan fan. That might be another reason why I'm biased towards the Big Gold.

Big Gold > Little Eagle

Attitude > Big Gold

Winged Eagle > Big Gold to me.

I LOVE the Big Gold Belt, but the Winged Eagle in my mind is "Bret's belt" and therefore, nothing is better.

That and I didn't get into WCW/NWA until the early 90's so I was always engrained that the Winged Eagle is what the World Title was supposed to look like...

Dames

my response is the same as Dames, i always saw the WE as Bret's belt and grew up with it.

Plus i think the desing it's better, it just lacked a bit in size and they fixed it with the 1998+ version.

I'd say the Big Gold Belt, although that's mainly because I didn't watch any wrestling in Hogan's heyday, and the WCW/World Title has survived as a credible championship to this day.

I grew up on WWF, starting in the late 80's, and even as a child, I thought their World Title looked really small around the waist of Hulk Hogan. Then a friend of mine told me about NWA/WCW (which I hadn't heard of up to that point), so I tuned into a Saturday Night episode, and saw Ric Flair carrying around this gigantic Gold Belt, and I said to myself, THAT is a Championship Belt.

So I am more biased towards the Big Gold. As a previous poster said, this is a belt that just screams out that its a World Championship, and important. I like the Winged Eagle belt as well, but it looks like more of a United States Title than something that represents the pinnacle of achievment for a company.

CarnivalizComing said it right though. When all is said and done, WWE's Attitude Era World Title is the most beautiful and well-designed title ever created. The belt was just as large as WCW's Gold, and took the original Winged Eagle design and made it into something that IMO looked like a World Championship.

I thought the Attitude Era belt looked like shit compared the Winged Eagle belt. The Winged Eagle belt look dignified and important and like it was something special. The Attitude Era belt looked way too chunky, and it looked like an Indy group had attempted to make their own version of the Winged Eagle belt.

Guest bigm350
I thought the Attitude Era belt looked like shit compared the Winged Eagle belt. The Winged Eagle belt look dignified and important and like it was something special. The Attitude Era belt looked way too chunky, and it looked like an Indy group had attempted to make their own version of the Winged Eagle belt.

I agree. The Winged Eagle had a more royal and dignified look to it, compared to the Big Eagle belt of the Attitude era.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

The Winged Eagle looked older, thus making it have more history behind it, thus making it have more importance.

Note: The WORD OF THE DAY is "THUS".

Guest bigm350
The Winged Eagle looked older, thus making it have more history behind it, thus making it have more importance.

Note: The WORD OF THE DAY is "THUS".

It might have looked older but the Big Gold preceded the Winged Eagle by a few years. The Big Gold first debuted in February of 1986. The Winged Eagle debuted at The Main Event in 1988. ( The match where Hogan controversially lost to Andre, setting up the WM IV tourney).

The Big Gold also outlasted the Winged Eagle by almost five years. The Winged Eagle was retired on the first Raw after WM XIV. The Big Gold was used when both the Big Gold and the Attitude era belt became the Undisputed title. Once the Undisputed title was represented by one belt, the Big Gold was retired for only a few months, until HHH pulled it out of mothballs. The original Big Gold was used until after No Way Out in 2003, replaced a few weeks before WM XIX by the current WWE logoed Big Gold, that's still in use today.

CarnivalizComing said it right though.  When all is said and done, WWE's Attitude Era World Title is the most beautiful and well-designed title ever created.  The belt was just as large as WCW's Gold, and took the original Winged Eagle design and made it into something that IMO looked like a World Championship.

I whole heartedly agree.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

For me, it's the Eagle WWF belt. This is just IMO, but I have better memories of the Winged Eagle belt than the Big Gold. I always thought the WCW title was ugly (even though I own a replica version of it) and I just thought WWF's belt had more grandeur to it. It looked like something worth winning, whereas the Big Gold was just ... well, big gold.

I actually like this belt the best over the earlier version of it:

http://members.tripod.com/griff_4/wwfbelt2.jpg

I don't really know why ... probably because late 1999-2000 is my favourite wrestling era?

The WCW World Title...NOT the Big Gold belt, but the one that Vader had, reminded me of a big ass tag title. Not a World Championship. When Sting & Flair wrestled to "unify" the titles on the Clash of the Champions (its on the Flair DVD), I'm glad they they kept the Big Gold Belt because it just displayed "CHAMPION".

I wonder whatever happened to that old WCW World Title anyway.

Dames

Guest bigm350
The WCW World Title...NOT the Big Gold belt, but the one that Vader had, reminded me of a big ass tag title.  Not a World Championship.  When Sting & Flair wrestled to "unify" the titles on the Clash of the Champions (its on the Flair DVD), I'm glad they they kept the Big Gold Belt because it just displayed "CHAMPION". 

I wonder whatever happened to that old WCW World Title anyway. 

Dames

I think Flair has it in his personal collection. IIRC, Flair was the last guy to hold that belt before Big Goldy was used again by WCW.

A related piece of trivia is that the WCW 92 belt was loosely based off of the design of the Winged Eagle belt. It had some similarities to the Winged Eagle, but always looked like a cheap, trophy shop belt to me.

Guest bigm350

BTW, this thread has gotten some decent reponses. Should I do this again, with two other belts, in a few days or not? What do you guys think?

Dames i feel the same way about the current WWE title. (not Cena's)

That thing looks like a tag team championship, pitful and weak.

Growing up in Ecuador my wrestling exposure was limited to WWF stuff mostly on cable. I grew up with the WWF and never really got to watch any NWA/WCW until later years, so the winged-eagle belt wins it for me by far. Funny thing is I remember watching Bret Hart wearing the belt (on his first run) and noticing that one of the "feathers" of the eagle was broken, but it was either repaired or replaced during Yoko's reign.

Anyway, my favorite overall is the Attitude Era belt, and I have it on display at my place along some other thropies.

Dames i feel the same way about the current WWE title. (not Cena's)

That thing looks like a tag team championship, pitful and weak.

I don't mind the WWE Title. When it was first debuted, it was WAYY too small, but when they upped its size, I thought it was fine. To me, that's "Brock's belt", and the same for Eddie & JBL.

The Attitude Belt I did like, but not as much as the Winged Eagle.

Dames