TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gthureson

Sister nil

Guest gthureson

I was going through a bunch of comics tonight, and reread Dr. Strange 69 through 82.  Around that time I stopped collecting, so don't have the conclusion to Doc's series.

I rather liked Sister Nil as a character, and was wondering whatever happened to Nil.   Is she still hanging around in Doc's Sanctum?

Hell, did Doc ever make a real peace with Wong, and turn Imei back from being an undead demon?

Did he ever live down being a ponytailed sissy with magical sunglasses for three and a half issues?

Guest areacode212

I have absolutely no idea. Ask over at WDI...maybe Sassquatch will have an answer. Ponytailed sissy with magical sunglasses? Was this their attempt at making him into a cool, hip, Blade-style hero?

Guest gthureson

Well it all started out of 'War of the Seven Spheres' around Doc #48.

All the powers he'd called on for aid call in their markers, and said they wanted him to fight in their extradimensional war, and Doc refused, eventually casting some spell that renounced all that he owed them, but essentially giving up the right to ever call on them again, seriously depowering him.

And then the Midnight Sons thing started, then Siege of Darkness.   The Bleecker Street Mansion got destroyed, an ancient Sorceress Supreme got released, infected Doc with her Dark Magic, and Doc split himself into 3, two to act on this plane, while he hid out in his Sanctum and worked his grand plot.

And the Doc writer changed the character so that he was manipulating his friends and allies, just so at the end of it, when he got his 'Gaian Aura' magic, defeated Salome, and emerged from his Sanctum, he could renounce his manipulative ways, blah, blah, blah.

He was also much younger looking for some reason, had long hair and wore sunglasses.   That lasted about four issues, that writer left, Warren Ellis briefly took over, wrote issue, and found out Marie Javins wasn't going to be the full time editor, and promptly dropped it, letting another writer finish the arc from his story notes.

Warren cleverly retconned the whole 'gaian aura' thing by having the Vishanti pressgang him into the war anyway, and burning out the gaian aura magik.  So sometime in the far future, the world should be stripped of its 'aura' because Doc used it all.   The Vishanti returned him in time to cast his funky ritual to empower himself with 'chaos magic', he looked more like Doc, and then I stopped buying it, and most comics in general.

The storyline was cool until Doc emerged as this 'hip, cool looking character'.   Cause he was neither, really.