TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

Essential WWE DVD's

Guest bigm350

I've gotten most of the individual dvd's (Michaels, Benoit's, Rise and Fall of ECW, Greatest Stars of the 80's Bloodbath, etc;), but the two must have's that I really want, and still haven't got are the Hogan and Guerrero dvd's.

Which leads me to this question. Is the Hogan dvd worth getting? Or do you think the WWE, in the near future, will come out with an even more comprehensive dvd for Hogan?

The only two DVDs I see as essential for any smark is the Chris Benoit DVD and the Eddie Guerrero DVD. They both come with several excellent matches, a great main feature and a lot of variety. The fact that the producers went out of their way to include matches from NJPW, AAA, and fan-cam makes these the two best DVDs they've ever done, as far as I'm concerned.

I like the Ric Flair DVD as well, it contains all the obvious matches, but even at three-discs, there's some pretty notable omissions. Also, the Rise and Fall of ECW's feature is worth the purchase alone.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying any non-Wrestlemania pay-per-view DVD. Worth a rental, sure, but most don't really have the special features to justify forking over $20+ to pay for it as far as I can see, unless you *really* like every match on the card.

About the Flair DVD having so many omissions, I can't help but feel that there will be a second Ultimate Flair set, just based on the success of the first. A second one could feature feuds with Sting (Clash 1 on DVD!), Luger, Savage (it would be awesome to have a DVD quality copy of the Flair victory vs. Savage for his second WWF title), and possibly Hogan. There's definitely tons more stuff that could go on a second set, so I'd bet we'll see one in the near future.

I've gotten most of the individual dvd's (Michaels, Benoit's, Rise and Fall of ECW, Greatest Stars of the 80's Bloodbath, etc;), but the two must have's that I really want, and still haven't got are the Hogan and Guerrero dvd's.

Which leads me to this question. Is the Hogan dvd worth getting? Or do you think the WWE, in the near future, will come out with an even more comprehensive dvd for Hogan?

I think the Hulk Still Rules DVD is definitely worth getting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a more comprehensive set in the future - it was rumored a while back that WWE was going to convert all of the Hulkamania vids from the 80's and early 90's over to DVD for a six-disc set, but I've seen nothing about it since.

The highlight of the Hogan set for me was his Puerto Rico match with John Studd, in what had to have been the world's smallest wrestling ring. It was teeny, and low to the ground . . . and in the middle of the match, it starts raining a freakin' downpour. You can tell they both have no clue what to do at that point, and the match ends outside the ring just a couple of minutes later. Good stuff.

At least when HBK beat Jericho, it came off as a fluke finish off of a flash pin.

It came off as "Jericho can't beat HBK" (the theme of the feud was "I used to mimic HBK, now I must exceed him to go to another level", fuck the "at leasts", that match ended Jerichos career as a possible main eventer. I can't believe people to this day try to argue this when history has clearly shown that he has never recovered from that loss.

To me, the best match on that card was Taker vs. Albert/Big Show. So there ya go.

Oh, and the Hogan DVD is missing most of his best matches. I wouldn't call it essential WWE viewing material, cept if you want to see the very homoerotic Hogan/Mene Gene training videos. Hogan/Andre is the only thing on the DVD that I watch repeatedly.

At least when HBK beat Jericho, it came off as a fluke finish off of a flash pin.

It came off as "Jericho can't beat HBK" (the theme of the feud was "I used to mimic HBK, now I must exceed him to go to another level", fuck the "at leasts", that match ended Jerichos career as a possible main eventer. I can't believe people to this day try to argue this when history has clearly shown that he has never recovered from that loss.

To me, the best match on that card was Taker vs. Albert/Big Show. So there ya go.

Oh, and the Hogan DVD is missing most of his best matches. I wouldn't call it essential WWE viewing material, cept if you want to see the very homoerotic Hogan/Mene Gene training videos. Hogan/Andre is the only thing on the DVD that I watch repeatedly.

I think 2 things killed him:

(1) Having is victory over HHH being overturned. Being HHH's bitch when he came back. Being Stephs slut. Losing the ME at WM so weakly.

(2) Not going over HBK.

Fav match at that PPV was HBK-Jericho, excpet for the very dumb finish.

ones I've got:

Ultimate Ric Flair Collection

Rise and Fall of ECW

ECW One Night Stand (copied to DVD off Cable)

Hard knocks: The Chris Benoit Story

NWO: Back in Black

Mick Foley: Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops

Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses

WM XX

Royal Rumble 2004

No Mercy 2001

Summerslam 2001

WM 17

WM 2000

Beyond The Mat (fuckit, I'm counting it as a wrestling DVD)

Ok, I've started to watch some more wrestling recently, but ONLY "classic" or old school" stuff, pretty much pre-1999, with maybe some later stuff thrown on. If anyone can list the top 10 DVD's focusing mainly on this era it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

despite his carreer supposably being killed, notcie how chris jericho has been able to stay one of the most over guys on the roster. Yes he should have won at wm 19, but I don't think that hurt him any more. if anything was to have killed him it would be his loss to trips at fully loaded 2000, but he stayed over.

Chris Jericho gets loud pops, yes. Doesn't mean he's over in the sense of being able to draw. People get those two things confused all the time.

He was never given a chance to draw. Even as the champion they had other things going on that was more focused on than him.

Does anyone get excited for Jericho anymore? If they do, I don't see it. It's more of a "You were once really over back when wrestling was cool" kinda pop. And I never said that losing to Michaels was the absolute cause for his death as a main eventer, I said it was the final nail in the coffin. He was dying well before that, the WM loss was just the fatal blow.

Chris Jericho gets loud pops, yes. Doesn't mean he's over in the sense of being able to draw. People get those two things confused all the time.

He was never given a chance to draw. Even as the champion they had other things going on that was more focused on than him.

I've never said otherwise. I was just making sure that people didn't confuse, as they so often do, a crowd pop with the ability to draw.

who "draws" anymore? fans go to a wwe show to see the wwe, not one wrestler. its been a while since one guy was able to bring them in (IMO the last guy to effectively do that was Austin and you can argue rock to a lesser extent) and even then the hwole expereience is probably what sold tix.

and if you do believe this career death stuff, then the botched undisputed title reign and lame wm match was probably the final nail.

Though I enjoy him as a performer, I am not going to sit here and whine about how the guy I like isn't pushed enough, that's what makes me hate being a so called smark sometimes.

who "draws" anymore? fans go to a wwe show to see the wwe, not one wrestler. its been a while since one guy was able to bring them in (IMO the last guy to effectively do that was Austin and you can argue rock to a lesser extent) and even then the hwole expereience is probably what sold tix.

and if you do believe this career death stuff, then the botched undisputed title reign and lame wm match was probably the final nail.

Though I enjoy him as a performer, I am not going to sit here and whine about how the guy I like isn't pushed enough, that's what makes me hate being a so called smark sometimes.

who "draws" anymore? fans go to a wwe show to see the wwe, not one wrestler.

For Smackdown, at least until he got drafted, Cena drew. Batista drew on Raw for a while, but then got the customary treatment, and that has probably stopped now.

(IMO the last guy to effectively do that was Austin and you can argue rock to a lesser extent) and even then the hwole expereience is probably what sold tix.

Make no mistake about it, Austin and Rock were the primary draws.

Though I enjoy him as a performer, I am not going to sit here and whine about how the guy I like isn't pushed enough, that's what makes me hate being a so called smark sometimes

So, you just want to sit there and take it, without voicing your displeasure?

Jericho probably could have rebounded if he beat Michaels at WM. It was unlikely, but there was still a chance of it. The loss made it absolutely sure he'd never make it as a main player. It was the same sorta story that Booker was doing, one that he _had to_ win. People just focus on Bookers because of the race deal and because of HHH. People are a lot more forgiving of Michaels for some reason. Jerichos loss solidified him as second-rate, so no one would buy him with top gold around his waist.

Personally, if I were looking to get "older" matches, I wouldn't look to WWE DVD's. They tend to throw in some silly choices and there are lots of dealers on the net that could give you a comp tape for about the same price. From what I do know, the HOF DVD, Hogans DVD, Flairs DVD, The Roadwarriors DVD, Foleys DVD, 80's Superstars DVD, and the bloodbath DVD all have "old school" matches on them.

Jericho probably could have rebounded if he beat Michaels at WM.  It was unlikely, but there was still a chance of it.  The loss made it absolutely sure he'd never make it as a main player.  It was the same sorta story that Booker was doing, one that he _had to_ win.  People just focus on Bookers because of the race deal and because of HHH.  People are a lot more forgiving of Michaels for some reason.  Jerichos loss solidified him as second-rate, so no one would buy him with top gold around his waist.

Personally, if I were looking to get "older" matches, I wouldn't look to WWE DVD's.  They tend to throw in some silly choices and there are lots of dealers on the net that could give you a comp tape for about the same price.  From what I do know, the HOF DVD, Hogans DVD, Flairs DVD, The Roadwarriors DVD, Foleys DVD, 80's Superstars DVD, and the bloodbath DVD all have "old school" matches on them.

Benoit's and Guerrero's DVD's look to have some great shit on them too. And the Shawn Michaels "From the Vault" is pretty bare bones but the matches on there are great, I have that DVD.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

I'm a big, big wrestling DVD/VHS collector, PPVs and other ones. I personally like a lot of the superstar DVDs best and some PPVs have awesome extras. Here's some of my favourites. It's a long list:

My brother owns the Ultimate Ric Flair Collection and he says it's worth every penny. I wouldn't watch Ric Flair, then or now, for any amount of money, but I've heard from a lot of people it's a good DVD.

I'm personally addicted to Shawn Michaels: From The Vault and has decent extras.

My favourite DVD of the moment is Chris Benoit: Hard Knocks because they've chronicled his story really well and, obviously, the match quality is fantastic. I think his DVD set-up is actually spot-on. The first disc, no matches, just the story and profile, and the extras and second disc are matches. I think that's how every DVD should be set up, with the choice of matches or a profile.

I own both Triple H: The Game and That Damn Good DVDs and That Damn Good is excellent. Triple H at his prime, the match quality is absolutely spot-on. Even to current HHHaters, and even as a longtime fan I find myself getting gradually closer to it, That Damn Good is still awesome.

I never hear people rave about it like I do, so I don't know if anybody here would agree, but I think Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses is quality stuff. His comments add so much to it, because he's got professionalism, the odd joke, and he's very honest. I think this DVD's underrated, because I never see anybody rate it like I do. It may just be a personal favourite of mine.

Another good DVD is Wrestling's Greatest Steel Cage Matches. Some odd choices and it's annoying that some of them aren't full matches but it's still a quality DVD. And I'm also glad I have Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon Cage on DVD now. Haha.

The extras are pretty bad (all basically Sunday Night Heat stuff) but as for an event WrestleMania X-7 is worth any amount of anybody's money. I think the event gets better every time I watch it.

On the reversal, I very rarely watch the event, because I hate it, but WrestleMania X8 has awesome extras. Same for WrestleMania 19 which has great extras but it has the advantage of being an awesome (and very underrated) event, too. Finally, WrestleMania 20 is worth buying just for the 'Mania of WrestleMania' film, the trivia quizzes and the Mania history sections. The third disc owns all. And, obviously, the main event.

The Rise and Fall of ECW. No comment needed. I assume everybody's already heard the good in this DVD. Good extras, too. While it's not as good as Rise and Fall (and not quite as honest), I think Monday Night War is worth a look. There's some interesting segments, the stuff about Hogan and the nWo and the very last Nitro is good so I would say it's worth a look.

I'll probably think of more to add later but these are the first that pop up in my mind

I wouldn't watch Ric Flair, then or now, for any amount of money, but I've heard from a lot of people it's a good DVD.

You lost me right there.

I didn't grow up a Flair fan, I watched the WWF mostly, but I've since gone back and seen some of his older NWA work.

The Flair/Steamboat matches on the DVD alone should change your mind.

Dames

Clash of the Champions, 55 minutes of WRESTLING.

That's just my opinion though.

A lot of people believe that their Wrestle War match was better.

I do easily admit that it has a better post-match angle though...

Dames

To be honest, the most glaring thought running through my mind during the Steamboat/Flair Clash match was "Boy, there sure are a lot of headlocks here."

FWIW, I enjoyed the Chi-Town Rumble match the best. Don't remember any intricate details of any of the 3 but I just remember digging the 1st one more than the others. Probably more for Steamboat winning the "big one" than anything else.

It bothers me that not all 3 matches are on the Flair Collection DVD. Now I've got to get Chi-Town on a separate DVD.

Dames

Guest bigm350
It bothers me that not all 3 matches are on the Flair Collection DVD.  Now I've got to get Chi-Town on a separate DVD.

Dames

Get the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80's, and you'll have it.

Out of the Flair-Steamboat trilogy, the Clash match is the best IMO, followed by WrestleWar. Chi-Town was a solid ****'s, but the other 2 were solidly better.

Chris Jericho is more relegated to recognition pop than anything. People know who he is and acknowledge it. Since we are pretty much at a point where the base fans are the majority watching, they still pop when he comes out. Doesn't mean they are behind him ME'ing or believe he'll be anything other than a transitional champ or credible challenger.

It bothers me that not all 3 matches are on the Flair Collection DVD.  Now I've got to get Chi-Town on a separate DVD.

Dames

That's what I meant. I wish it was on the Flair Collection DVD. Not that I don't want the 80's DVD, it just bothers me that it's not included on the 3 Discer.

Dames

Guest bigm350

Dames

That's what I meant. I wish it was on the Flair Collection DVD. Not that I don't want the 80's DVD, it just bothers me that it's not included on the 3 Discer.

Dames

Yeah, I see what you mean.