TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ransome

Eric Bischoff

Guest Ransome

By July 15th 2005, Bischoff will have been Raw's GM for three years straight.

Obviously, this is a huge stretch of time in WWE-land, particularly compared with the revolving door of SD GMs (Stephanie, Heyman, Angle, Teddy Long). Should Bischoff remain the Raw GM, or should he be given some other onscreen role, or should they let him go?

Personally, I think Bischoff plays a perfect smarmy heel, but that change would be beneficial for the Raw brand. Bischoff has essentially played the same character and made the same kinds of promos and decisions every Raw since 2002, except for the short-lived quickly-forgotten face turn of late 2004. In that sense, I think a new GM might hide the current feeling of stagnancy on the Raw brand. New commentators would help as well.

Although, if Bischoff wasn't the GM, I can't think of any other onscreen role he'd be suited to. He's so ingrained as the authority figure, what else is there? I can't picture him being a decent manager for fear of overshadowing them, and his commentary isn't exactly inspired. Particularly since the shock value of Eric Bischoff working for archenemy Vince McMahon has passed, I think Bischoff might no longer be necessary on WWE TV.

What do you think?

I agree he should go. If they have to have a GM/Authority Figure Type On Raw/Smackdown, It should be as a Tweener/Straight Laced GM. The days of The Heel Authority Figure has grown stale since The Boom Era, IMO.

Guest jumpingbombangel

Go, going, gone. Bisch hasn't been interesting for 8 years and rapidly counting.

I like Bischoff - at least he can work the mic. If not as a GM, then I'd keep him around in some sort of role - either as a commentator [fuck knows it's time to put JR & the King out to pasture] or as a manager of some sort.

Bisch was at his best in the WWE when he wasn't a heel, but when they were doing the angle of both GM's doing what they could to have to best show, so some decisions would go against heels as well as for them in the interests of being better than the "competiton".

Straight up heel authority figures are so very, very, very old, but they won't stop them as they worked in 1998 so damnit they'll work now!

I wonder...with Bischoff getting to do all the claiming that "Raw is cleaning up, kicking ass, etc", maybe he'll get drafted to Smackdown just so we can all point and laugh..

I wonder...with Bischoff getting to do all the claiming that "Raw is cleaning up, kicking ass, etc", maybe he'll get drafted to Smackdown just so we can all point and laugh..

That wouldn't be a bad idea actually. Granted with the fact that the draft has been nothing but main eventers so far, the casual fan might shit on it, but Bischoff's fought hard to make Raw a good show (storyline wise). Should he go to SD, he would have to try and take down the show he built up by making good business decisions, making good matches, etc, which is what Smackdown needs. To be seen as on the same level as Raw.

Dames

Guest panthermatt7

Had they not already done that with Heyman last year, I'd think that would be hilarious.

Before you jump on the "Bischoff should be off TV" bandwagon, answer me this: who would be a better option as RAW GM? I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be. That, and since he got his head shaved, Bischoff has done more standing up to HHH/Flair, which in my opinion has made him at least a little more interesting and slightly tweener.

I am in the camp of getting rid of the GM/Authority figure role altogether. However, I will give Bischoff credit in that originally he was supposed to only work for 90 days so WWE could humiliate him real quick and then jettison him, but to his credit he's hung on far longer than anyone expected.

That said, I think he and Teddy Long should go. I like them both, but for the sake of changing SOMETHING in the template of the shows, I would be willing to part with both GM's to have a somewhat fresher show that doesn't need an authority figure to push the action.

RAW would not be the same with Bischoff gone...

From the opening picture of him and everything else.....it just feels like Bischoff is actually running things......I don't know if McMahon actually wanted this to happen....but Bischoff is RAW..... for someone else to get in his position.....it would look odd...

Obvisiouly Bischoff and McMahon have a very good relationship.....since he has been with the company for 3 years now...

I think Bischoff is a great on screen GM. He has historical value.... and even if they only use him for match making it helps tell the story. How many times have storylines been created or furthered by people demanding matches and stuff from Bischoff? I think that is a useful role and he's the only person who seems to have the "credentials" to be in that role due to his experience with WCW.

I'm in the camp that the whole idea of having a GM on both shows is pretty old, but I guess they need to do it now that they have the "two brands" co-existing.

I don't have a big problem with Bischoff...I think his acting is a little weak, but frankly they haven't done a good job of clarifying his character. Sometimes it seems like he's more of a neutral figure who's just trying to make the show as good as possible. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to screw over Smackdown. Sometimes he purposely tries to screw over the faces for seemingly no reason. What is his actual motivation at this point? I think they need to do something with the character of Eric Bischoff to get him back on track.

Frankly, I'd rather see them dump Coach...he adds nothing to the show at all, and I don't see why Bischoff would even want to be associated with him.

Guest Mosaicv2

Bischoff on WWE tv for life... and i'll explain by saying it just won't be the same without him around, sok?

It's hard to believe he's been GM for 3 fucking years. I think he's really done a great job and minus the 2003 stint as Co-GM with Austin, he definately, from a character standpoint, seems like he's calling the shots on the show. And I think it's helped Raw too. I don't think it's stale, yet. Bischoff being in charge just seems to have a nice flow and by now, I'm so used to it I rarely think of him as "The guy who ran WCW."

I do like the idea of him going to SD as GM, where he could probably last another great length of time as the GM there. Commentator, no. Manager, maybe. But Bischoff always should be in power on screen cause it's kind of hard to see him as anything else.

Guest news_gimmick

I agree he always has to have power, it just fits perfectly. He is great and making you hate him because he is slimy, yet can do whatever he wants because of his position. His past reputation in WCW and the fact he really was like this at one time makes it work so well. I think new fans who learn about his antics back in the old days can also get into his act and believe in him more. I say keep him, he does great.

Guest Evolution

I'd rather see a Raw theme, set, graphic and commentator change before Bischoff gets removed as GM. Hopefully at least the first three will change when they leave Spike. I honestly think that JR should go behind the scenes for good, and Lawler doesn't really add anything to the product anymore, but if he were to be let loose on the indies, he could make a killing.

He's very good in his role by wrestling standards. He has his own character that isn't just a Vince McMahon ripoff which are what most of the "authority figures" before him weref. He can act very slimey.

I'd rather they get rid of the GM/Authority figures for good, but Bischoff does a good job and has kept himself somewhat fresh. Thankfully they haven't done any authority figure v.s. wrestler crap lately, which is what is really stale.

He's also been a bit more of a tweener in the last six months... just enough to be unpredictable and not side with the heels 10 times out of 10.

I don't have a problem with Eric playing a tweener. What I do have a problem with is how much power does this guy have? After WM, there was a stage where HHH was able to make a match, but Eric couldn't. Explain that to me. They don't have perimeters for the GM characters. It's lame. They also really need to change Eric's theme music. As pointed out earlier in this thread, he's been back now for over 3 years.

Speaking of theme music, I just have to bring this up, but they really have to stop with the entrance music and lighting when a person interupts. It comes off incredibly bad to me. I know I've heard the explanation of said person just heads to the gorilla position and says "Cue my entrance, I'm going out there" but that is just lame. Just come out and interupt the person. No need for an entrance. It's dumb.

If Bisch does leave Raw, I would like to see him leave via a "promotion" to WWE President kind of like the Jack Tunney role from the past. Vince is still the god of WWE, but Bischoff got promoted for his 3 plus years of service. His role would be making decisions on titles, matches, etc, like Tunney used to do. Appearances would be kept to a minimum, and the GM's of the two shows would be toned down in importance.

I would have both GM's be neutral as well, with the heels being pissed off with just about every decision because they think evilly or irrationally, and the faces not liking every decision, but accepting it for the most part because they are just there to do their jobs.