TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

Banks New Column

Happy anniversary to TNA Wrestling – and a special thanks to you the fans for making it happen.

It’s been an extremely long and tiring two weeks for everyone at TNA, preparing for the Slammiversary Pay-Per-View and the TV tapings that followed. However, we all enjoyed a brief moment of celebration after the epic event, some of us later in the night than others. By the time I got done working on the website after the Pay-Per-View, it was 4am and my mind was set on sleep. But, some upper management (who shall remain nameless) wouldn’t stop calling me until I joined the fun. By the time the next morning rolled around, we were all back to work planning out Tuesday’s TV taping.

Some news and notes from the past week….

First off, I hope everyone is enjoying the new design of TNAwrestling.com. Lee South, Dan Burgess and Marcus Cygy all put a lot of hours into it – and despite some small hiccups early on – it’s been a success. Lee especially has been working his BUTT off, and my bouts with pink eye and food poisoning during the week didn’t help matters, but we got through just fine. We hope everyone will bear with us as we continue to make some minor adjustments to the new site, and the photo galleries will be available again soon as well.

By the time you read this – and continuing until No Surrender – we’ll be airing Impact each week here on the website for free. This week, we’ll hear from new NWA World Heavyweight Champion Raven, the Impact debut of Samoa Joe, plus Shark Boy vs. David Young, The Fallen Angel vs. Primetime and the TNA return of James Mitchell.

Next week’s Impact broadcast will feature Sean Waltman vs. Sonjay Dutt, Lance Hoyt vs. Team Canada’s Eric Young, America’s Most Wanted vs. Simon Diamond and Trytan plus The Phenomenal AJ Styles vs. Alex Shelley.

There were several injuries at Tuesday’s TV tapings, including Michael Shane and James Storm (both hyper-extended knees suffered during their Impact match airing this week), Alex Shelley and Petey Williams (busted noses) and The Outlaw, who suffered a nasty cut on the top of his head. None of the above are expected to miss any ring time.

On a side note, the injuries to Shane and Shelley forced them out of a match later on that night against AJ Styles and Sean Waltman, with Canada’s A1 and Bobby Roode taking their place in the bout.

Don West celebrated his birthday the day after Slammiversary in Orlando. West’s birthday gift to himself? Lounging poolside at the Doubletree Hotel all day.

On this week’s Impact, Championship Committee member Larry Zbyszko informed Jeff Jarrett that “new talent” were on their way to TNA Wrestling. I wonder who Larry Z was referring to? July should be an interesting month for sure, especially “No Surrender”…

TNA is in the process of finalizing a DVD distribution deal that will put our titles in several major retailers in just a few months. We should have the official press release on the deal up on the website Monday afternoon.

Speaking of DVDs, expect “Enigma: The Best of Jeff Hardy” and “Destination X” to go on sale on the website by the end of next week.

We are currently finalizing the “Lockdown” DVD, which will feature the Pay-Per-View in its entirety along with some tremendous backstage and “fan cam” footage. Also on the DVD will be a tribute to the late Chris Candido, which will include The Naturals vs. AMW from Impact where Candido helped the Naturals win the NWA World Tag Team Title, as well as footage of Candido co-hosting Xplosion with Jeremy Borash in his last on-screen appearance. The DVD will also provide information on how fans can donate to the Chris Candido Scholarship Fund. TNA will also be donating a portion of the sales from the DVD to the scholarship fund.

TNA will be unveiling a brand-new Raven t-shirt set for sale on the website in the coming weeks commemorating his NWA World Heavyweight Title win. The shirt will feature a shot of Raven winning the title at Slammiversary, along with “Destiny Fulfilled” on the front. The initial design is impressive looking.

Another big deal about to be announced involves some major television exposure for TNA Wrestling across Europe. Stay tuned…

Expect Jerry Lynn to return to TNA television in the upcoming weeks…

Several TNA stars, including Sonjay Dutt, will be traveling to India in September to take part in TNA promotions for ESPN Star, which features Impact throughout the region.

TNA has been getting some interesting calls from various international wrestling promotions. Talks between these promotions and TNA reps could pay off in a big way for American fans in the upcoming months.

The next time TNA travels to Orlando will be on July 17 for No Surrender, then again on July 19 for a special TV taping. Announced on Friday’s Impact for No Surrender is the main event NWA World Heavyweight Title Match between Raven and Abyss (with a stipulation added next week) and Samoa Joe vs. Chris Sabin. Additional matches will be announced on next week’s Impact as well.

It was great to see several names return to the TNA roster this week, including The Amazing Red, Simon Diamond and Alex Shelley, all of whom are class acts. A veteran mind like Diamond’s was especially missed, as he is one of the best teachers for young talent in the TNA locker room. No doubt, Diamond will be looking to sharpen the potential of the monster Trytan in their newfound tag team.

Rumor has it the owner of a certain major men’s magazine is a huge fan of TNA Wrestling and watches it regularly…

We are finalizing a deal for Adelphia and Cox TV network subscribers to soon view our free TNA Video On Demand features. By August, the VOD will be available in 8 million homes.

Odd note of the week: What is The Alpha Male Monty Brown’s favorite music to work out to? According to Monty, it’s Metallica’s “Garage Days” album – a true headbanger classic. Jerry Lynn – a fellow metalhead – and The Alpha Male have been trading music as of late.

In addition to several returning superstars, TNA also welcomed back production wizard Jessie Ward this past week. Ward will be working closely with David Sahadi and Darryl Marshall, making up one heck of a backstage television production staff.

You may have noticed on our main page that TNA has announced the name and date of the September Pay-Per-View, called “Unbreakable” and airing Sunday, September 11 on Pay-Per-View. Everyone at TNA took great consideration on the name based on the date, and I think it’s a fitting title. Also upcoming for TNA Wrestling will be “Bound For Glory”, an event we’re expecting to be our biggest show to date.

TNA has been getting some major viewership in Canada, based on the success of our broadcasts on ESPN Classic Canada and RDS sports. We’ll soon debut a “TNA Canada” site here on TNAwrestling.com for all our fans north of the border, also featuring monthly columns by Scott D’Amore and Johnny Devine.

That’s it for this week – I’ll be back next week with more TNA News and Views

Bill Banks

Credit: TNAWrestling.com

To me, the big news is the DVDs. They have been missing out on a boatload of money and exposure by only selling their product online, and even as it stands, I'm sure the DVDs are their biggest revenue stream save the PPVs. And I might check out the LockDown DVD if the AMW/Naturals match is going to be an extra. Comcast Mid-Atlantic screwed me that week and didn't show Impact, so I have never seen the match.

Interesting news about the VOD, i wonder if that is nation-wide?

TNA is in the process of finalizing a DVD distribution deal that will put our titles in several major retailers in just a few months.

I'll believe it when I see it at the mall.

Guest Desperate Housewife
This column was removed from the TNA site. I wonder why.

Because the "new talent" heading Jarrett's way will instead be at Vengeance.

It pains me to say this. But I think your right.

Wait...Raven...World champ...WHEN?!

It happened at Slam. JJ was a naughty boy and the booking committee slapped his wrists by taking him out of the KotM match and lettin Raven win the title just to spite JJ. :P

It pains me to say this. But I think your right.

Is this some private joke between the 2 of you or a sign of loving affection?

Would either of you care to explain, cause I didnt get it.

It means Matt Hardy isn't going to TNA, he's going back to WWE.

This hasn't been confirmed, just a thought that it could happen.

ps: desperate housewife - i love you

It means Matt Hardy isn't going to TNA, he's going back to WWE.

This hasn't been confirmed, just a thought that it could happen.

ps: desperate housewife - i love you

I think it could. The E's fans have been clamouring for his return, and Kane hasnt really got his hands on Edge and Lita yet. He cant be in 2 places at the same time. People will think that Edge nailed the coffin shut with his 'joke' during the wedding.

I was always thinking that the only way to salvage this angle is that Edge and Lita are in the ring. Kanes music hits. Edge meets him head on with a steel chair. Matts music hits. Litas like o yeah as if thats gonna happen. Edge continues to beat down on Kane. Then all of sudden Matt comes through the fans and jumps over the railing near the time keeper. Tries to deliver the ToF to Lita. She manages to escape. Edge and Lita get out fast. Matt checks on Kane. Stare-down. Matt cuts a promo saying that he wants to beat the crap out of Kane and Edge and Lita, but an enemy of his enemy is a friend of his. Puts out his hand. Kane considers it. They shake. An unholy alliance is formed. Edge rushes to find a partner (ideally somebody who has a past with Kane and Matt, most likely candidate would be Snitsky or a returning Mark Henry or hell, both of em).

Love is the air, ooo hoo hoo. She is a desperate housewife after all. :cheers:

While I agree it sounds questionable about the Hardy situation, it could easily be Hardy and TNA working the sheets and IWC since both parties are smart to the influence of the net and the sheets on the industry. They may quite simply want to surprise the fans when/if he comes into TNA. Yes, it looks like WWE could certainly get him back at this point but I still have to think Hardy would by a complete hypocrite to return and WWE would be risking the chance of a complete and utter lack of professionalism by having Edge and Hardy feuding in a storyline with Lita additionally involved. It would be way too close to reality and even though it would be huge, I think it's just something that will never happen much like Bret ever returning to work an onscreen feud with McMahon. Now if this was just a huge work by Hardy, Lita, Edge, and WWE, I can understand it but it clearly isn't. I would bet Edge and Lita would be VERY uncomfortable to work a storyline v. Hardy and Matt would probably never feel comfortable playing into reality like this.

So in other words, it's far from fact that Hardy is back onto WWE land anytime soon. If nothing goes down tonite on Raw, I would bet it's not going to happen.

While I agree it sounds questionable about the Hardy situation, it could easily be Hardy and TNA working the sheets and IWC since both parties are smart to the influence of the net and the sheets on the industry.

Jeff Jarrett - World champion. 'Nuff said.

They may quite simply want to surprise the fans when/if he comes into TNA. Yes, it looks like WWE could certainly get him back at this point but I still have to think Hardy would by a complete hypocrite to return and WWE would be risking the chance of a complete and utter lack of professionalism by having Edge and Hardy feuding in a storyline with Lita additionally involved.

I think it should happen, because I want to see Matt and Edge shoot on each other, and see Matt completely MURDER Edge.

It would be way too close to reality and even though it would be huge, I think it's just something that will never happen much like Bret ever returning to work an onscreen feud with McMahon.

Money is the bottom line. Netfans will more than likely pay to see Matt Hardy legitimately injure Edge as an act of revenge, or at least I know I would.

Now if this was just a huge work by Hardy, Lita, Edge, and WWE, I can understand it but it clearly isn't. I would bet Edge and Lita would be VERY uncomfortable to work a storyline v. Hardy and Matt would probably never feel comfortable playing into reality like this.

True, but a worker not comfortable with an angle hasn't stopped business before. Plus, Edge deserves a HUGE amount of punishment for his actions with Matt's former fiancee.

So in other words, it's far from fact that Hardy is back onto WWE land anytime soon. If nothing goes down tonite on Raw, I would bet it's not going to happen.

I hope he comes back and stiffs the fuck out of Edge and then smacks Lita across the face, and then tells Vince that he other terminates his contract or switches him to SmackDown.

No need for me to rebuttal, after the last few days, from what I've been reading, sounds like this aint no Hardy or TNA working the sheets and the net - this shit is legit with the possible WWE return. While I agree I'd be digging Hardy returning to WWE to feud with Edge (I'm such a strong proponent that reality is what has/will draw real compelling storylines) part of me really does want him to go to TNA, as he could possibly be the next big star in wrestling if he did, and if he went to WWE, I really dont see it going that far past the enjoyment of a Hardy/Edge feud. Regarding really getting over in TNA though, his is all subject to a number of "ifs" though, such as IF TNA gets a Spike TV deal and IF the TNA booking committee stays strong and IF Jarrett continues to be out of the power he once had. And yes, there are more "ifs" that just that!

Wasnt sure what the "Jarrett - World Champion" comment meant though, Corey.

I hope he comes back and stiffs the fuck out of Edge and then smacks Lita across the face, and then tells Vince that he other terminates his contract or switches him to SmackDown.

Which would result in his immediate termination. You don't "demand" things from Vince McMahon...he doesn't take that too well.