TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fro

OVW Results Thread...

This week's TV... someone needs to up the Punk/Albright match from this week as it was UNREAL good.

- We open up with Johnny Jeter and Mark Henry in a locker room talking about their "handicap match" against Matt Cappotelli, Chris Cage, and "Matt's crutch" who is apparently the 3rd man in the team. Man, you know Heyman's on fire when even Mark Henry is cutting awesome serious promos that don't sound scripted. Anyway it turns out that they're in Chris Cage's "locker room" (which looks like an office and has books on the shelf but we'll ignore that). Jeter and Henry are supposed to be changing in the parking lot since OVW Owner Danny Davis is so disgusted with their actions. Jeter and Henry beg Cage to not have to change outside because it's "really cold". Cage kicks them out anyway and Henry is like "don't keep sticking your chest out at me" and saying something about Cage feeling some pain. Jeter says Cage ought to rethink being friends wth Matt Cappotelli as Matt will never give him a title shot. Can't do this justice from memory but Henry was very surpisingly awesome here

- LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR, although this time the song starts from the bridge.

- Your hosts are unfortunately still Dean Hill and Al Snow

OVW Tag Team Champions Seth Skyfire and Chet the Jet v.s. The Spanish Announce Team of Osama Rodrigues Alejandro and Senor Roberto Dawber

Dawber is all bandaged up with a neck brace, leg case, arm sling, all kinds of bandages from Boogeyman putting him through the Spanish Announce Table, enough wrap on him so that he looks like a zombie. Snow calls him the "Rob-Goblin" about 10 times during this match. The gimmick is Osama and Robbie Dawber just randomly set up a spanish table and started announcing. Osama has a box of cuban cigars, etc now and generally looks the part more than "evil arab". Anyway Boogeyman ends up appearing from under the ring for kicks and hits a huge chokeslam powerbomb on Dawber while the ref was distracted and Skyfire finishes him off with the Alabama Jam. Boogeyman was scary over.

- Backstage, Aaron "The Idol" Stevens is in front of a Christmas set with a Santa Hat on. He says he's the "Mah Haraja of Menajatwa", wishes us happy holidays, etc. Beth Phoenix sits on his lap and she says she's been a good girl so Stevens gives him a long straight candy cane with two pieces of candy tied to the bottom of it so as to look like a phallac symbol. Shelley appears and says she's been a bad girl so Idol says he's going to have to give her a spanking as we zoom up away and Beth Phoenix joins in the three-way. Funnier than I made it sound.

OVW TV Title Match

TV Champion CM Punk versus "The Shooter" Brent Albright

Basic angle here is that Albright has never been able to get the better of Punk during their feud that's been going on a couple months, and now they finally are having their 2nd match for the TV title. Punk made Brent Albright tap out for the first time in his career in the Three-Way-Dance with Ken Doane 2 weeks ago.

I really can't do this justice, but I'll try to put down what I remember. They start out jockeying around for position, with Albright trying to control the arm and Punk trying to set up the Anaconda Vice and wearing down Albright with holds and kicks. Crowd is pretty hot. Albright finally gains control and goes into working on the arm which is just amazing, Dean Malenko type stuff as literally every move targets the arm. Albright gets a Northern Lights Suplex for 2. Albright goes for the Crowbar but Punk is too close to the ropes. Punk finally fights back, and ends up tossing Albright outside of the ring and hits a huge fucking tope on Albright which is one of the ones that has Punk crashing into the guard rail and knocking it back five feet or so.

After some action, Punk ends up getting the Anaconda Vice on Albright back inside the ring but Albright powers out of it. Punk starts chopping Albright in every corner and the Pro-Punk fans are going nuts for this. Albright comes back and they chop the shit out of each other for about a minute and finally "LET'S GO SHOOTER/LET'S GO PUNK" chants start (we're a good 15 minutes in at this point). Punk gets an Anaconda Vice variation on Albright where he's in the ropes and has the hold locked on. After a good amount of other great work, both men go up top and Albright hits a swinging neckbreaker off the top rope on Punk which gets a loud "HOLY SHIT" chant (okay, honestly it may have been Punk hitting on Albright but it doesn't matter either way). It gets 2.999. After some more action and a break, Albright finally gets totally in control and can't decide what he has to do to put Punk away. He hits some big move that knocks down both men. Ken Doane's valet Sosay comes out and stands in Punk's corner. Snow speculates that maybe she only has interest in dating champions and perhaps she's with Punk now. Maria comes out and stands in Albright's corner. Albright is up first and Punk is still dead. Albright hits a huge, Benoit v.s. Angle-sized top rope headbutt 3/4ths of the way across the ring on Punk, but Sosay jumps on the ref and prevents the count. Maria comes in and the two have a catfiiiiiiight which the refs finally break up after a minute with the crowd chanting "LET THEM FIGHT". Punk takes advantage with a near fall as Albright goes after Sosay. The two got enough of a break to get a second wind as they trade a ton, well over 14 nearfalls in a row going back and forth Savage/Steamboat style. Albright finally grabs Punk and hits him with the biggest implant DDT I've ever seen in my life as Punk is dropped right on his head. It makes RVD's DDT sell look pussy. That gets 2.999. Crowd chants "THIS IS AWESOME!". Punk hits a huge chicken wing DDT and that almost gets 3. There's a few other big nearfalls they trade back and forth. They were really teasing that Punk was on the ropes and Albright was finally going to get the better of him here (with Albright yelling and stuff), even though Punk keeps fighting back. I think there were some submission teases thrown in there, really should have taped the match. Punk misses a top rope move and Albright slaps the Sharpshooter on him. Punk tries to make the ropes a couple times but gets dragged to the middle of the ring. Punk teases tapping out but the bell rings as the 30-minute time limit has expired. Crowd LOUDLY chants for "FIVE MORE MINUTES". Albright gets on the mic and challenges Punk to five more minutes. Punk goes to shake Albright's hand but then slaps him. The ref takes that as accepting five more minutes. Albright and Punk start going at it again and the match restarts. Albright backdrops and suplexes the shit out of Punk. Snow says Punk is telling the ref that he didn't accept Albright's challenge. He gets a couple nearfalls, and finally locks the crowbar in on Punk. Punk tries to get to the ropes but can't, and he tries to roll out but Albright ends up on top of him still and Punk taps out!

Robert Brisko comes out to talk to the ref in the match and correct things as Albright celebrates thinking he may have won the title.

This greatly surpassed all my expectations. I kept hoping they wouldn't screw it up and they did and kept kicking it up as needed as the match kept going. Great storyline, psychology, and two great wrestlers which had everything necessary for a very legit match of the year. The work wasn't dumbed down at all for OVW and it holds up to Punk's best ROH work. This wasn't just a great OVW match, it's probably the best one I've ever seen in the company, and furthermore better than any WWE match in 2005. It was cruising along as a potential ***** match if it would have had a great ending. And doing the "match extension" where Albright "won" made it a lot better than if it was just a time limit draw.

I can't decide between rating this **** 1/2 or **** 3/4. I'm going to go with **** 3/4... it was *really* good.

Some people may find **** 1/2 a more accurate rating, either way, it's a totally legit MOTYC and something you need to see.

---

Back from the break, Punk says he's still the champion since he never accepted Albright's challenge. He says Albright was the better man tonight but he's not the champion. He says he'd tap out if Albright put him in the crowbar in the parking lot or if Albright came through that door because he likes his arm and he wants to keep it. He says he owns Albright and that he'll be sleeping next to the belt tonight. Albright got punked! Okay, that promo was so good I don't care that the match didn't have a clean finish.

Johnny Jeter and Mark Henry v.s. Matt Cappotelli, Chris Cage, and the Crutch

The refs come out and try to take the crutch away. Crowd chants "WE WANT CRUTCH". Al Snow says he supports people who want to use inanimate objects as partners. Henry and Jeter comes out and Matt absolutely destroys Henry with the crutch and knocks the big guy down after multiple shots. Cage gives Matt a stiff forearm shot from behind as he turns heel. Jeter/Cage and Henry stomp the crap out of Matt and Henry gives him a phat splash. Elijah Burke runs out to try and save Matt but the odds are too overwhelming. The Riggs Brothers come out to try and make the save but Henry Vader splashes them in the corner. Seth Skyfire and Chet the Jet comes out to a big pop and the tag champions get the better of Jeter and Cage but eat superkicks from each of them in the in. Finally, Doug Basham comes out, as even though he's a heel he's disgusted at Jeter's actions. He wails on Jeter and Cage and knocks both of them down, then goes after Mark Henry and rocks the big man. Jeter and Cage get up and deck him, and Henry big splashes Basham in the corner to ko him. Dean is like "I don't know who's left to save Cappotelli now".

Crowd chants LOUDLY for Boogeyman. "IM DA BOOGEYMAN, and IM COMIN TO GETCHA" and Boogeyman's WWE music hits and he appears on the announce desk. Ah, so Heyman's using Boogeyman like he used 911... very smart.

This is scarily the loudest ovation of the night by far. Henry clobbers Boogeyman with a huge fist but his head snaps back after selling it to a big pop. Jeter and Cage go after Boogeyman, but he hits them with a big double chokeslam at the same time (which looked really good) to a huge pop. Boogeyman smashed in the corner by Henry and then eats a big splash. Jeter, Cage, and Henry stand tall. Crowd chants for the Boogeyman but he stays down until the cameras turn off.

If this is Heyman's last show... what a way to go out. You *NEED* to see this.

That shows its not the talent in wwe, but the writers. I can't stand the Boogeyman stuff on Smackdown, but love it in OVW.

Yep, playing to wrestlers' strengths and getting the most out of what you have to work with.

This week's TV... someone needs to up the Punk/Albright match from this week as it was UNREAL good.

I will have it up in the morning.

Mark Henry was surprisingly good on the mic. That was probably the most interested I've ever been in Mark Henry.

The tag match did nothing for me. I don't know what the point of that was. And yes, the Boogeyman is scary over. I think it's best not to think about it because if you try to make sense of it, your nose will start to bleed.

I've watched Punk vs. Albright three times and I can't decide if I liked it better than the three way dance. I called the 3WD and easy **** match. I think I'm just going to have to give both matches **** 1/2. The 3WD was entertaining start to finish, had 3-4 memorable spots and was just flat out good. It was a touch overbooked with Doane interfering twice after he was eliminated. Punk/Albright was the best straight up wrestling match I've seen in a long time. I could have done without Sosay and Maria coming out for no apparent reason. The finish and the women fighting for no reason keeps it from *****, but the "overtime" and Punk's interview made up for those two things.

I could be remembering this wrong, but didn't Albright beat Punk in their first meeting back in October?

What is with Cage turning? How much more do the odds need to be stacked against Cappotelli? And it is impossible to explain the overness of the Boogeyman.

I could be remembering this wrong, but didn't Albright beat Punk in their first meeting back in October?

What is with Cage turning? How much more do the odds need to be stacked against Cappotelli? And it is impossible to explain the overness of the Boogeyman.

You're right... Albright did beat him in the first match, but Punk didn't shake his hand.

Cage really wasn't doing much of anything. There's no shortage of guys they can plug in there to team with Cappotelli and even the odds up.

For whatever reason, the traditional OVW crowd has always loved guys like Boogeyman who destroy everyone and no-sell. Leviathan was probably the most over guy in the history of OVW and he didn't use many more moves than Boogeyman knows.

You're right... Albright did beat him in the first match, but Punk didn't shake his hand.

That was the match that made me a CM Punk fan and got me watching (or at least taping) OVW on a regular basis again.

Cage really wasn't doing much of anything. There's no shortage of guys they can plug in there to team with Cappotelli and even the odds up.

Throwing in random people kind of dilutes the rivalry. Why should I care about Chris Cage other than he turned on the face champion?

For whatever reason, the traditional OVW crowd has always loved guys like Boogeyman who destroy everyone and no-sell. Leviathan was probably the most over guy in the history of OVW and he didn't use many more moves than Boogeyman knows.

I never saw Leviathan in OVW. It really is insane how over the Boogeyman is.

OVW sounds really awesome. Vince needs to sit down and watch these shows once. WWE can learn from OVW. Paul Heyman is making OVW a bit like ECW but it's not like he's redoing storylines and going "extreme". I'm afraid that when Brent Albright and CM Punk get called up they will get fucked with.

Thanks for the downloads, Alro. I'm still in the middle of the (corrected) 3-way match 'cause of my slow-as-snails connection. Hopefully I'll have it fully downloaded in a couple of days.

Edit: The dowload has died on me twice now, and it's taking for-fucking-ever since the file is so huge. Seems I'm gonna miss out on these matches. Guess I'll have to get the monthly DVD or something. Thanks anyways.

Edited by pochorenella

OVW sounds really awesome. Vince needs to sit down and watch these shows once. WWE can learn from OVW. Paul Heyman is making OVW a bit like ECW but it's not like he's redoing storylines and going "extreme". I'm afraid that when Brent Albright and CM Punk get called up they will get fucked with.

If they haven't started by now, there's no way Heyman of all people will make them change. That wasn't me knocking Heyman, I think the man is a great booker, but the upper management don't give a damn about how well he's booking OVW. The call-ups are going to get whatever WWE decides to throw their way. It took them 5 years for an OVW act to be called up as-is (MNM), and even THAT got shit on by creative.

In addition, I really can't see Punk or Albright being called up any time soon.

Nothing against them, but anything WWE would use them for, there are other's who have a better look and WWE will go for instead.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OVW TV Taping results, Jan/4th/06:

Singles Match

Nick Nemeth (with Mike Mondo) defeated Roadkill.

Six Man Tag Team Match

OVW Tag Team champs, Seth Skyfire & Chet The Jet, and Elijah Burke defeated The Dicks and Paul Burchill.

OVW Television Title, 3-Way Elimination Match

CM Punk .VS. "The Shooter" Brent Albright .VS. Ken Doane.

Doane got "injured" into the match, and replaced by Aaron "The Idol" Stevens. Albright makes Punk tap-out. It came down to Idol/Albright for the title, Punk interfered and hit Albright with a Shining Wizard, as Albright was about to make Stevens tap out. "The Idol" rolled over and pinned Albright to become the NEW OVW Television champion.

This 3-way dance was not as impressive as the first one. There were a few good spots, but it just didn't have the same big match feel like the other one. I know why they got rid of Doane, but what was the purpose of bringing in Stevens?

He got called up to be part of the Spirit Squad. I figured that him getting taken out like he did would explain his absense.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

I got to see Team Spirit live, yesterday. It was actually pretty awesome. Mike Mondo has got called up, too, with Ken Doane and Nick Nemeth.

Doane is a lot better than some of the guys that have been called up. It may just be the guys he's been in the ring with (Punk and Albright), but I've never thought he was complete shit.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OVW TV Taping results, Jan/11th/06:

Tag Team Dark Match

Elijah Burke & Mike "The Miz" Mizanin defeated The Spirit Squad, Mike Mondo & Nick Nemeth (with Nick Mitchell).

Singles Match

OVW Southern Tag Team champion, Seth Skyfire defeated Johnny Jeter.

Singles Match

OVW Southern Tag Team champion, Chet The Jet defeated Chris Cage.

Afterwards, Jeter and Cage attacked the tag team champs, with Cage holding a chair to Skyfire's face and then Jeter super-kicking the chair. They did the same to Chet. With the tag champs laid out, Jeter and Cage got some scissors and cut both Skyfire's and The Jet's hair off.

Main Event: Tag Team Match

CM Punk & "The Shooter" Brent Albright defeated Ken Doane & Paul Burchill (with Kenny Bolin).

OVW Television champion, Aaron "The Idol" Stevens watched from ringside, with Beth and Shelly. During the match, Doane left Burchill alone to a 2 on 1. Albright made Burchill tapout, with the Crowbar. Afterwards, Albright shook Burchill's hand as a sign of respect for holding his own against Punk and "The Shooter".

Guest Rrrsh

I see that Matt C isnt on the last couple of TV Tapings. Is he hurt, called up or what?